How long did it take for you to get good and what did you do

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 6String69, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Not saying its not good to play in a band and learn, but i know Shawn Lane who i followed alot after about 18 months of playing, said he learnt alot at home from about aged ten for about 5 years to develop his own style of playing more.

I think one has to think what one wants to do write their own songs or copy others more i thought in a thread like this was worth a mention some very good posts here btw.

2. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

I never had any formal lessons, but hung out with a few guys who were a few years older than me (a friend's bass-playing older brother and his band mates) and just watched and noodled.

One of these guys was an incredible guitar player, he had no formal training either but just 'knew' the guitar inside out and had amazing 'feel' and expression. He was the first person I met who actually sounded like a proper guitarist rather than someone who plonked away. I also would take dodgy recordings of my favourite songs and riffs to him, he'd just play them perfectly after a couple of listens and show me how to play them(badly). I would have been about 14 or 15 then, so I guess he'd have been about 17/18. We lost contact when he moved away to college, but I often wondered what happened to him - he never showed up in any bands I was aware of, but I fully expected him to!

Anyway, with that 'formative' experience I realised 2 things:

some folks just have incredible natural talent/aptitude for music/guitar

some folks can spend years learning theory and practising and will eventually be able to play most things well and 'talk the talk' but still sound ever so slightly 'wooden' and stiff. The musical equivalent of 'painting by numbers'??

I guess it's a bit like painting or poetry - some people can just do it naturally, others really want to do and can learn how to pretty well, but they'll never be 'artists'.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Only Schrodinger's cat knows the answer.

On one hand, I've always been good... on another, I've never been good.

I'm happy just to keep chasing the moving target.

4. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

I got shamed into it by sucking in public and in front of people who were kind enough to be both helpful and honest, mostly other musicians.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.