1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How light is lightweight?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Feb 20, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Starting my first tele build (partscaster). Looking for a lightweight end result. But I'venever built a guitar before. What's concidered a lightweight body? Pickups, hardware, neck, tuners… it all adds up. How much would be a good body weoght? I have my eyes on one 3.9lb swamp ash body. Is that concidered light?
    Hilfe!

Baldfatguy likes this.
  2. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

What kind of body is that? Solid? Thinline? I’m currently building a Mahogany Tele that’s pretty much hollow and it’s 4lb 1oz with a little bit of sanding left to do.

rooboo likes this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Generally, the final weight of a Tele will be body weight plus 3 lbs to 3 lbs 4 oz. (depends on whether the body weight includes a finish. So with a 3.9 lb unfinished body, the finished guitar will be just over 7 lbs. Some would consider that light and certainly only about 3-5% of the solid body Teles I have seen at Sweetwater or Wildwood (where they list weights) are below 7 lbs (they sell quickly).

Personally, I rank them this way because Warmoth sells bodies down to 3 lbs. (often chambered), but it is a subjective thing:
    over 8 lbs is heavy
    7-8 lbs is medium
    6.5 - 7 lbs is light
    below 6.5 lbs is very light

Gibsonsmu, Tim S, rooboo and 3 others like this.
  4. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

and then there is "Billy Gibbons light"

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Ash is popular but you may have more luck with lighter weights if you investigate pine or basswood. Some very expensive guitars have been made from both of those woods and played by professionals on stage.

If you get more serious about building you can buy or make a template and use some tools to cut your own body then you can make the body thinner or hollow out some spots to shave even more weight off. Google lightening guitar bodies for ideas how it's been done before.

rooboo likes this.
  6. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

I say anything sub 6.9 is light. 7 is medium. I won't buy a Tele unless it's under 6.75

etype likes this.
  7. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Solid. Classic tele style, nothing extra/special.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Funny how we're all different. I have one Tele. It's great. '72 AV Thinskin Tele Custom. The one problem - it's only 6.5 lbs. I wish it were 7-8 lb but the guitar is so great that I overlook it being a bit too light. It doesn't headstock dive, but I can feel the head wanting to, a little bit, on my strap.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  9. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Actually it's the other way around. I have a pine tele. This will be my first ash. The pine one is quite heavy 8.2lb, I love it nevertheless but I'm on the hunt for a lighter one.

10. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

I kinda think a little over 7 is the perfect guitar weight. 8 is great too. Over that and it starts to get annoying to me

MilwMark likes this.
  11. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Right now at Warmoth, they have about 650 Tele bodies in stock (incl. thinlines and 7/8 size bodies) with 32 at or below 3.5 lbs and 6 that weigh in at over 6lbs (heaviest being solid maple at 6 lbs 11 oz!!!). Median seems to be 4 lbs 5 oz.

Sweetwater got in four crimson American Pros and they weighed 6.3 lbs, 6.7lbs, 7.4lbs and 8.3 lbs. While I was sitting around trying to justify a purchase, the lightest one sold within 24 hours and the second lightest sold within 48 hours. Now, two weeks later, only the 8.3 pounder is left... I bet it sits for another 6-8 months.

Smiff and rooboo like this.
  12. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Thank you! Best reply so far. This was what I was looking for. Thanks! The 3.9lb I have my eyes on seems to be pretty medium weight then.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well again, 3.9 lb body equates to 6.9 lb completed guitar, give or take. Quite light.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

3.9 pounds is a great weight for a loose body in any wood type.

Since your neck could weigh 500 grams or could weigh 600 grams, I can't say precisely how heavy the finished guitar might weigh, but it is almost certainly gonna balance pretty nice. And, it should finish up approximately a pound lighter than your pine project Tele - that should please you.

15. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

6.5-7 really too light
    7-7.75 light
    7.75-8.5 medium

8.5 and up - light for a Gibson.

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_2179.jpg Paulwonia wood makes good guitar bodies .Very light ,sofy .Its sometimes called empress wood if want to pay a lot more.A lot of guitar manufactures including Fender have used it . GFS and others sell bodies .Ron Kirn makes guitars from etc so its not a weird cheap far eastern crap pile wood though it can be too ..My own far eastern crap pile tele body is weird as it doesnt really fit any where but strangely works well .I get a nice jazzy tone from my Van Zandt neck pick up and I dont know if its anything to do with the wood .It has a Fender neck.Its very resonant and so light it almost floats to the ceiling .The whole guitar with strap weighs 4.7 LBs.it has no neck dive .The neck is a Fender replacement part , rosewood MIM and Fender Gotoh vintage locking tuners.i dont really play mush heavy stuff where maybe sustain is needed .I just play blues and jazz and bit of twangy country sometimes on stage .it hasnt fallen to bits yet .i use super glue to reinforce screw holes etc ,In the cae of my really cheap body its probably the very thin poly burst finish that holds it all together .It only cost me a tenner.
    I have a BWB pickguard coming for it .

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Frankito and rooboo like this.
  17. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Thank's I'll look into it!

18. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

With my partscasters, I've found that once you get your body, adding 2.5 lbs to the body weight for all the other stuff yields your final weight, at least using a vintage bridge and lightweight knobs.

rooboo likes this.
  19. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

For my partscaster, the final weight was 3 lbs over the weight of the body (once it was painted). To be fair, the maple neck was pretty chunky and one of the pickups was a humbucker -- rest of it was pretty standard.
    Naked body: 3lbs 2 oz
    Paint: 3-4 oz
    Rest of it: 3 lbs (including strap locks, neck humbucker, and locking tuners)

Final weight 6 lbs-6oz.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.