How is your Nashville Tele set up?

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
Not asking for a schematic (although if you have one, that's great.) I'm more interested in why you made the choices you did, what pickups you use, and so on. I'm starting on one, so I'm all ears for ideas!

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
Mine has a push pull on the tone control to get neck + bridge, bridge plate is one with lower edge removed and 3 compensated brass saddles all from former owner. I removed the neck and middle pickups from the tone control and set the sound for those from the amp. I never used the tone control for either of those pickups but if I rolled it back a bit for the bridge then would have to turn it back up for the neck or middle. I'm pretty sure I added a .039 uf capacitor which of course just works with the bridge pickup and tightened up the taper change.
The pickups are the stock Tex-Mex and I'm fine with those. The bridge pickup is medium output @ 8k and neck/middle
are more vintage type output.

Martinp

Tele-Afflicted
I have Rio Grande Tallboy pickups in the neck and middle, and a Quarter Pounder in the bridge. I set them up using a Superswitch, as follows, neck, neck + middle, neck + bridge, middle + bridge, bridge. I never use the middle pickup by itself, and it gives me bridge+ neck in the middle position. The Schematic was included with the yamaha superswitch

Last edited:

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
I used the diagram and kit from toneshapers for my build:

Bootstrap Pretzels for bridge and neck and regretfully for the time being, a squier strat middle pup. Position selector 3 is wired for bridge + neck since I’m not the biggest fan of middle only.

Bridge plate is a Gotoh 6 saddle for easier intonation and no slamming my pick hand on the side walls.

Lastly, my control plate is reversed for easier volume swells.
bNrVpBQ.jpg

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
Stacked bridge and middle, mini hum at the neck. Shielding and grounding everywhere. Three mini toggle switches for on/off for each pickup.

The why? This setup is for studio work. It is dead quiet. I have never played a guitar this noiseless in my 38 years of playing. The three toggles allow me to flip all off without changing volume and tone settings and also makes whomever is running the mixing board happy when it’s all off.

D968D341-DA5B-4938-995A-4C5DFE3531B1.jpeg

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
Stacked bridge and middle, mini hum at the neck. Shielding and grounding everywhere. Three mini toggle switches for on/off for each pickup.

The why? This setup is for studio work. It is dead quiet. I have never played a guitar this noiseless in my 38 years of playing. The three toggles allow me to flip all off without changing volume and tone settings and also makes whomever is running the mixing board happy when it’s all off.

View attachment 1017152
Love this. Super clean!

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I used the diagram and kit from toneshapers for my build:

Bootstrap Pretzels for bridge and neck and regretfully for the time being, a squier strat middle pup. Position selector 3 is wired for bridge + neck since I’m not the biggest fan of middle only.

Bridge plate is a Gotoh 6 saddle for easier intonation and no slamming my pick hand on the side walls.

Lastly, my control plate is reversed for easier volume swells.
I think a reversed control plate is almost a given necessity for a Nashville Tele!

Is that body from Fender or another vendor? The finish looks very clean, yet used, in a good way.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My ‘06 Burst has the factory Tex Mex and a 920D seven way bc I wanted to get B/N. The previous owner really didn’t like it…”hard to play”. I played it for a while in a love-hate…then an epiphany—the action was entirely too low…tweaked it and it is good as gold. Setup setup setup.

The ‘99 CAR I acquired in June was set up with OEM Tex Mex at B/N and a Blue Lace at M. It is a pretty good sound as the Blue fuller, almost a HB sound. I have a 920D seven way for it as well…uninstalled. I’m researching the idea of changing the B/N to a T150(?) Lace set, but feel no urgency.
2360484C-758C-48D1-9043-105FCC8DB373.jpeg

Last edited:

cfay

TDPRI Member
Here is one I made to spec for a lead guitarist of an up and coming national touring band. It is the normal Tele wiring (3-way switch, 1 tone and 1 volume) but has the push/push switch fender puts in some strats. That switch engages the middle pickup only so he can have the middle PU on demand whenever he wants. Has Lollar pickups in it, a blonde Strat in the middle I believe.

Attachments

• 7C34549E-F7D5-46AC-9358-12A7E9201E00.png
    7C34549E-F7D5-46AC-9358-12A7E9201E00.png
    709.9 KB · Views: 13

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I use a Tele PU set with a Strat middle, reverse control plate and 4-way. The wiring is Bridge - Bridge/Neck - Mid/Neck - Neck; no 'position 2' because I never use that position on my Strat.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had one for a brief time and was shocked that out of the box you didn’t get the iconic (in my mind) Tele sound of neck and bridge pickups combined. I don’t remember exactly how-it wasn’t difficult-but I made a change so I got neck alone, neck and bridge, middle alone, middle and bridge, bridge alone. That covered it for me. I just never bond with 3 pickup guitars.

jwp333

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Mine's wired like a Strat with a 5 way. But I could see the benefit of doing a three way for the bridge and neck, and add a second volume control that controls just the middle. That way you get the bridge/neck combo, and you can roll in the middle for the quack or cluck with the other 2, and also use just the middle alone.

Teleguy61

Friend of Leo's
Here is my Nashville Tele, being played by some guy I saw a couple of times--

1660576399574.png

Currently it has an APC neck, old (70s) DiMarzio bridge, and a late 60s Strat middle.
Switch is set up normally, and an added pot is a fader for the middle pickup at all times.
He also did this--
1660576544402.png

It started life as a 72.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
I don't have one currently but I am looking to build another and when I do I'll be using the Free-Way 3B3-01 switch,

In action the switch is like having selectable 3-ways side by side switch. The main side behaves like a normal Tele 3-way, the other side gives what would be the middle three positions of a Strat aka bridge alone in the middles then combined with neck or bridge when thrown that way.

It's neat.

xStonr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I installed the Wilkenson 3 barrel comp bridge on mine with a set of Bill Lawrence Keystone Nashville pickup set, along with the 10 position Freeway switch for all available pickup options. It still has the stock Maple neck with Fender locking tuners.

Steve_U1S

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I purchased a Toneshapers kit which included a push-button switch which mounts low-profile between the two knobs on the standard Tele plate. It's wired up to affect the middle position of the otherwise standard 5-way switch configuration - down = bridge & neck pickups, up = middle pickup alone.
The pickups I put in are chosen from the DiMarzio Area family:
Area Hot T bridge (backed off of the strings to wind up with a sort of 'Broadcaster' like strident tone)
Area 61 middle (custom-ordered with no stagger)
Area T neck
I did some wiring trickery to get me some extra zing and chime.

Bridge is a Barden with chopped lower wall and slant-compensated brass saddles.
I refret with D6100 wire.
Tuners are Gotoh SDS510HAP-M vintage style locking, except low-E is fitted with a Bill Keith banjo D-Tuner.
Very versatile and noiseless.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My '16 Nashville Deluxe mods:
3PUP_7SOUND_TELE.jpg
I wanted gold hardware, so swapped all out. Gotoh Bridge, Spertzel Locking Tuners-
Spertzel Tuner Tux.jpg
Being an ignorant noob, I replaced the neck pick-up with a TVJones Starwood. I tried to remove the cover and broke it. The TVJones sounds sweet to my ears. Neck and bridge is KILLER!
0922201838.jpg