How is people's driving in your city/state ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheDams, Sep 17, 2016.

1. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I call it,

"The Special Olympics Grand Prix."

We have a long commercial strip here. We don't quite have the population base for Chili's or Olive Garden to come to town but we have the usual suspects... Wal-Mart, KFC/Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Burger King and a couple grocery stores. I can pick a perch on the Wal-Mart end of the street and watch 'em blaze through the traffic light there when it's red. No brake lights, just right on through.

I damn near got killed at the grocery store on the other end of the street. I was on bicycle. The old timer that near ran me over passed me then turned right in front of me. He told me I wasn't supposed to be on the road on bicycle, I was supposed to be on the sidewalk. (Wrong!) Further, he told me he could drive however he damn well pleased because he was a veteran. Another idiot waiting to leave the parking lot jumped in to support Veteran Dude. Fools to the left of me, jokers to the right...

I made my weekly trip to the dump yesterday. Traffic was hung up in front of McDonald's. Some dude made a banzai move outta McDonald's crossing traffic, got center- punched and ended up rolled over blocking a lane.

jman72 likes this.
  3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I encountered it with a trucker on our trip back in June. He just pulled out into traffic (in front of me) and expected that if I didn't want to run into him, I'd stop in time. It was explained that if he waited for a break in traffic (it wasn't all that busy), he might sit there for some time.

Carl

4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

In Tennessee its a Demolition Derby .

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

You got that right Jack! Sad but true.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know about you guys, but I've been eyeing up one of these babies. I have my attorney checking into the legal ramifications of using this as my daily driver.
    image.jpeg

Stingfan73 likes this.
  7. RetroRocker

RetroRocker TDPRI Member

Yeah 85 is pretty much the fast lane speed in SoCal. Don't go slower unless you want risk serious road rage coming your way. Haha! I don't see anything wrong with going that fast if you have a car from the last 10 years. I drive my '77 Firebird all they time but don't go too fast because even though the suspension is completely updated and I have nice wide modern wheels and tires, my brakes are still stock for now...

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

We have a resource here in Northern New England... it's empty parking spaces and empty interstate lanes. I'd be a millionaire if I could figure out how to stuff a parking space into a can and sell them in six packs in Boston.

I suggest driving up I-91 or I-93 or better yet, riding. New Hampshire has just repaved most of their cowpaths as has Maine.

Vermont is a poverty pit and besides, there isn't anything there you can't get 100 miles closer to where you're comin' from. A lot of their pavement is in poor condition. Every boondock little town thinks The Mythical Rich Flatlanders will move up from Darien, Connecticut and throw money around. Then they'll fix it.

Turns out people from Darien, Connecticut like infrastructure. They like to shop and they like to go out to eat. It takes a population base to support business. No people, no business.

Brakes just slow you down.

Seriously... drilled rotors and EBC soft compound pads go a long way towards making the stock brakes work better. Most of our short tracks require everything besides Pro Stocks and Modifieds to run stock cast iron calipers. By definition a short track is a quarter mile or so. That means drive a hundred yards, leg the brakes then mash the gas. Drive another hundred yards, do it again.

Wilwood probably makes calipers that are a straight bolt - up for your Firebird. Those are U.S. made parts that work as well as the spendy red Italian parts.

9. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Stop Sign/Red Light running is the 'official' state sport of New Mexico.

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Comically mixed, here!

Spoiled rich-kid college students: Often arrogant, aggressive, dumb. Nice, new cars that might well run you down and often cut you off. Interesting ideas of parking, too. If there is a sidewalk, it must be blocked. If there is a lawn, it is, way like, actually, like, a parking lot. With the pounding hip-hop creating that perversely sympathetic Quarter Panels All-A-Rattle Waltz all the way down the block.

Country folk in town to shop or eat: Usually very honorable, and very good drivers. But their rattling exhaust pipes can kill you. (Pollycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons--such a purty name.) You almost don't want them to politely pause for parents with strollers and old people to cross the intersection first. Also prone to sudden rebel-yell tire-burn fish-tail take-offs on open stretches of more than 11 feet. Brakes that work is always a gamble, too, but them 'ere telephone poles grow on trees, so....

Saab/Subaru/Volvo/Greenmobile/faculty/grad student drivers: Tentative or oblivious. Or both. And often SLOW. You can read all of their 14-bumper-stickers-per-car (Gumby was a fascist? and he drank milk?) by the time you've gone a smug-blocked half-block behind them, trying to remain unfascist.

Foreign students: Ummm, they do their best . Which they should practice more--a lot more--in parking lots and maybe "So, This Is a 'Car'" classes, before they miss you only because they hit the curb instead while turning an oddly angular sudden right from the left lane. Also, does it say on their green cards that turning their heads to actually, you know, see, and, maybe, learn to anticipate things, and turning off a now-not-needed blinker, is bad? Or is that just a function of bringing (finally!) good food into this isolated town?

University staff: Moody! If a dorm was found pukey on a Monday morning, or the rich kids again dissed the cops with hip-hop-aping foulmouthedness, or some weekend-busted broken water pipe had said "Hey! Me!" via cascading ceiling panels, then their cars--often buzzy old Pontiacs, son-borrowed Durangos, or ultra-plush inherited-from-grandpa Buicks--can show it around 5:01 p.m. With such a low pay floor to endure, a bad day = a lot of class-based resentment-driving peppered throughout town, and usually heading out to the country and less-costly home-priced, kinda rundown nearby Appalachian towns.

The Gentle Army of the Many Widows: Boats on wheels, in pristine shape. (Oldsmobile, come back!) All doing the white-haireds' brake-tap two-step at divide-all-limits-by-2/3rds paces down streets so familiar to them that they don't bother to look at, dear me, possible variables. Which, in all due respect, maybe they can't, what with the very clenched steering wheels being so high, and memory's osteostoop being so severe. The nicest drivers. But also the most accident-causing ones, too, as almost everybody tries to pass them/get ahead of them on therefore rushed turns and STOP-sign pauses. Who wants to read a Ford/Dole '76 sticker for a cruel half-mile's ten minutes? But ya gotta love a white '88 Regency Brougham making green Subarus weave and red BMW's brake.

Plus, we have a fairly recent, three-street, 2-lane round-about at the town's busiest intersection. So can you say, "Let's test this proposition?"

Also: Beer trucks. Many, big, many...beer trucks. Honored as they are around here, they're still often in the damn way.

And the football game traffic: Pennant-festooned, big SUV ambling, warbily-reminiscing/exaggerating middle-aged people acting like college students. Albeit quite now-thickly so. It's tempting to misdirect them to where there might be parking after they drive onto your feet on your lawn to ask.

But it's better to just go inside and ramp up your amp. After all, with your tax dollars paying for screaming pre-game Air Force jets overhead, and cannons going off to signal any kind of points being scored, and the wind-carried crowdsounds reminding you of eternity's shores, madhouse-town time is All the Loudness You Want Tele time.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Honest Charley likes this.
  11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

So true!! In the years to come, I think we'll look back on smartphones as the beginning of the end! As a college professor, it's nearly impossible to walk through the halls or around campus without students walking into you while looking down at their phones. I see kids nearly get run over all the time while texting. Just yesterday I saw a student on skateboard ride across TWO LANES of traffic without looking up- while looking down while texting and wearing headphones.

Honest Charley likes this.
  12. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

When you see drivers from other states because you live close enough to borders, you do notice some things. I certainly have, nor do I acknowledge and "home state blind eye" when it comes to my state, but... again, I notice things with regard to other states with enough frequency that these are a few conclusions I've come to:

1.) Both Maryland and Virginia have a healthy share of ****ty, dangerous drivers that apparently got licenses from Cracker Jack Boxes, as no DMV of any state should have ever let these people legally behind the wheel.

2.) Both Maryland and Virginia have a healthy share of drivers who have no idea of the existence, prudent use of that thing called a "turn signal". That is both infuriating as well as dangerous to themselves, as well as the rest of us.

3.) Both Maryland and Virginia have a healthy share of drivers who dangerously and inappropriately use high beams in effort to cover-up, skirt and override a number of issues, not limited to, but including:
    -Cloudy headlight lenses that are dangerous and neglected
    -To make up for headlights out/missing
    -To make up for poor driver vision
    -To make up for poor driver familiarity with an area
    -To make up for lack of driving confidence
    -Just because they can, because they're assholes

I'm surprised and shocked I've lived this long in proximity of this crisis of public best-interest, and that I've not ended up in jail over confrontation regarding these matters.

:/

13. RetroRocker

RetroRocker TDPRI Member

I'll be doing Wilwood or Baer brakes with 13" rotors in the front and 12" in the back, 6 piston calipers, etc...

[​IMG]

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I found drivers in the UK, and Europe were better drivers, because they all drive about the same, and again, they know where they are going. Roundabouts are grand. The worst stretch I drive, is I75 between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Its a mix of cultural differences in how to drive, or WHY to drive...much danger on that route. I've seen the worst stuff on that stretch. I dread it 2 or 3 times a year.

15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Italian city driving gotta be the worst I've ever seen.

16. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Really no major complaints in the Portland area.
    In fact it's about the only place I know where people can work themselves into Road Rage by being too polite at a 4-Way Stop. Reminds me of the two chipmunks in the Looney Toon Cartoons, (Chip & Dale?). "No please after you"...."No no I insist after you!"...."No you were first you go!!"..."No you were here before me, please!!!")
    If you do get cut off, the person politely waves in their rear view mirror, thanking you for letting them in traffic......weird.....Portlandia!

17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

It's usually the out-of-towners that screw things up. In Boston, a common war cry is, "If you don't know where you are going, you shouldn't be here!"

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

L.A. drivers are just mad at the world and out of sorts. San Francisco drivers do their stuff with wicked malice, they are really in a class of their own. It's a town that thrives on class!

jannodude likes this.
  19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

SO IT'S TRUE!

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Heres a shocker.. Its been my experience through traveling the world for my job that the US has the most sane traffic by a LONNNGGGG SHOTTTT!!!

The worst?
    Egypts traffic is simply beyond description... seriously!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.