How Insensitive - Telecaster Jazz Tone

MadeulPlaysGuitar

TDPRI Member

Good evening, Twangers! This month, I recorded A. C. Jobim's classic bossa nova tune "How Insensitive." As you will notice, I also experimented with fingerpicking instead of using a pick to play the solo. I couldn't really play fast runs that way, but I felt like I had more freedom to engage multiple strings.

Hope you enjoy!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I love the timbre of single coil guitars played finger style. The cool thing is how many different finger styles there are to choose from. I’d have probably used my thumb and added thumb and index finger stops as necessary. I’ll give a try to playing a solo with my index finger and stops with two long fingers. The more styles I can use the better. Thanks for the performance and the lesson.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
I also experimented with fingerpicking instead of using a pick to play the solo. I couldn't really play fast runs that way, but I felt like I had more freedom to engage multiple strings.

Hey, nothing wrong with that at all. Plus, there's so much flexibility in going 'free-form' with the fingers.
Nice playing. I dig your vids and choice of tunes. Keep them coming.

Fingerstyle through a clean amp on the neck PU of tele -- not many guitars can do that particular sound. I dig it,

The Telecaster...It's a:
Country guitar, Rock guitar, Jazz guitar (!)
Yes, it's a jack-of-all trades.

MadeulPlaysGuitar

TDPRI Member
I love the timbre of single coil guitars played finger style. The cool thing is how many different finger styles there are to choose from. I’d have probably used my thumb and added thumb and index finger stops as necessary. I’ll give a try to playing a solo with my index finger and stops with two long fingers. The more styles I can use the better. Thanks for the performance and the lesson.
To be honest, I was surprised by how much I relied on my index finger. I would have thought I was using my thumb way more. It’s probably a carryover from my chord melody days… Perhaps I could play a bit faster if I did mix in the thumb a little more!

MadeulPlaysGuitar

TDPRI Member
Hey, nothing wrong with that at all. Plus, there's so much flexibility in going 'free-form' with the fingers.
Nice playing. I dig your vids and choice of tunes. Keep them coming.

Fingerstyle through a clean amp on the neck PU of tele -- not many guitars can do that particular sound. I dig it,

The Telecaster...It's a:
Country guitar, Rock guitar, Jazz guitar (!)
Yes, it's a jack-of-all trades.
Agreed on all fronts! Maybe using those plastic “nails” on my fingers would give me the best of both worlds— at any rate it’s just easier for me to approximate what I think a guitar ought to do with my fingers than with a pick.

Glad you like the repertoire! My next one will likely be the Spartacus Love Theme.