How in the world does one play this guitar?

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
It would seem the top horn would get on the way
full-front_24914e5b-a879-4579-b1aa-a28fd4249c8b.jpg

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
It would seem the top horn would get on the way View attachment 937797
I don't get what you're saying, 'cause there's plenty of room for your hand to fit in there. But, I only play at home sitting, so even a standard V is no good. I don't think it was really intended to be played, but as a novelty item. At the Gibson dealer where I worked the manager bought three of them hoping they'd go up in value, since it was a limited run. It's still more palatable than the disgusting upside down Strats someone made a few years back
Flipout Dewey Decibal.JPG

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
ALL those Gibson Flying V's and Firebirds and Explorer's etc... are just stupid lookin'... Designed by a 12 year old.. Sorry Mr McCarty.

Forced modernism.... Like H.R. Haldeman getting a perm..... (If that don't date me nothing will! :D)

Last edited:

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
You set it on your left thigh and jam the pointy end into your right thigh...but the point needs to be a good bit sharper to get a really good grip.

To borrow another thread's title - just because you can doesn't mean you should...

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I’d love to try it side by side with a normal v- just to see if there’s any sonic differences . It’s probably a monster cranked up. But the design is sort of- why?

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I build guitars for friends and customers BUT I will not build whacky shapes. You can get me to build a Tele, Strat, LP, LP Jr. , SG not even a flying V. The wiring's not the problem I'm just ultra conservative and don't want my guitars to look like somebody's joke. I love the Instrument too much to disrespect it. I also love building acoustics and all the new-borns get a ukulele.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I don't get what you're saying, 'cause there's plenty of room for your hand to fit in there. But, I only play at home sitting, so even a standard V is no good. I don't think it was really intended to be played, but as a novelty item. At the Gibson dealer where I worked the manager bought three of them hoping they'd go up in value, since it was a limited run. It's still more palatable than the disgusting upside down Strats someone made a few years back View attachment 937805
That one might work for a lefty. Just needs to be restrung and the net reversed.

I am of the opinion that guitar bodies should be designed using a compass (the arc-drawing tool) and not a straightedge. Works for Teles, ES-335s, and even Strats and SGs.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
My first thought was “how weird”. I went back and gave it a real look. More and more I began to like the concept and design.
The angular and arrow/dark like shape I find appealing.

I don’t get the “disrespecting the instrument“ sentiment but that’s just me.

Now the Parker Fly to me is horrendously ugly. It reminds me of The Lockhorns cartoon strip