How important is tube generated reverb and tremolo to you?

How important is tube generated reverb and tremolo to you?

• I'm a purist - very important

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • A good pedal will suffice

Votes: 48 77.4%

• Total voters

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Pedal based is better because it’s easier to swap out than replacing a tank or trying to figure out how to mod the amp circuit to put trem in.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI and I only use input 1 on channel 1. I never use the onboard reverb or tremelo but I do have a pedal for both. I wish I didn't need an external verb/tremelo but that Channel 2 sounds horrible.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. :)

It amazes me that some companies charge $1,500 - $2,300 for a standalone tube reverb and tremolo unit (e.g. NO amp), and you can get a nice Fender 68 Princeton Custom tube amp (with a tube rectifier :D ) that has onboard tube reverb and tremolo for $1,200(!)

1641799520618.png

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
I have a Vox AC15 C1. The amp has both and can be upgraded if need be. I do like springs for the reverb.
Really, how many times is a rotating leslie necessary?

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I care exactly as much as the listener cares, which is to say not at all, and even less if the listener is the type of person who reads and musician forums and would like the music less because they suspect that I'm using [gasp] the wrong tremolo. This is a more common phenomenon on certain other forums.

There's such a difference between what I care about when I'm listening to myself play alone, and what I care about when I'm listening to a great record. I mean, I think that's the point here.

For some reason Dark Night by the Blasters comes to mind, and while that tremolo is amazing, I think it's the fingerpicking that makes the song, and I wouldn't be angry if I found out it was a pedal. Heck, I'd want one.

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
I quite like the tremolo on my PRRI, but I’m also quite satisfied to use a pedal. I prefer plate or room reverb generally, so I use my TC HOF instead. Still, it’s good to know that my PRRI has spring if I ever need it.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. :)

It amazes me that some companies charge $1,500 - $2,300 for a standalone tube reverb and tremolo unit (e.g. NO amp), and you can get a nice Fender 68 Princeton Custom tube amp (with a tube rectifier :D ) that has onboard tube reverb and tremolo for $1,200(!)

Well, if you're referring to something like the Victoria Reverberato... these are in a different league. Much more complex circuit, more control, tones you can't get any other way.

There's a reason Fender stopped making the harmonic trem circuit. Too expensive, too time consuming, too much space needed on the circuit board, and likely too tricky to dial in on a production line. Very sensitive to actual component values.

According to Mark at Victoria, these are easily the most labor intensive product. Having built one myself, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm glad to have done it once, but never again. After that experience, $2k seems cheap.

Here's mine:

20171216_055616.jpg

Complete - gut shot.jpg

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well, if you're referring to something like the Victoria Reverberato... these are in a different league. Much more complex circuit, more control, tones you can't get any other way.

There's a reason Fender stopped making the harmonic trem circuit. Too expensive, too time consuming, too much space needed on the circuit board, and likely too tricky to dial in on a production line. Very sensitive to actual component values.

According to Mark at Victoria, these are easily the most labor intensive product. Having built one myself, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm glad to have done it once, but never again. After that experience, $2k seems cheap.

Here's mine:

View attachment 938713

View attachment 938714
Oh yes, oh yes. I worship at the alter of hand wired, all tube. A true thing of beauty. Mercy, mercy!!!

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I quite like the tremolo on my PRRI, but I’m also quite satisfied to use a pedal. I prefer plate or room reverb generally, so I use my TC HOF instead. Still, it’s good to know that my PRRI has spring if I ever need it.

I returned my HOF. To me, it was a tone-sucker. Maybe I needed to run it with a buffer unit?

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
I returned my HOF. To me, it was a tone-sucker. Maybe I needed to run it with a buffer unit?
I seem to recall switching the true bypass off (using the internal dip switch) because it was causing a volume bump when I engaged the pedal. I can’t say that I noticed any tone suck.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's

Here's mine:

View attachment 938713

View attachment 938714
If you care to count my 2 cents (?), that looks like nice work and a labor of love. You are more of a connoisseur of tremolo than I am. :)