How important is "coverage" to your guitar collection?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Oct 20, 2019.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Thanks @telemnemonics ! :)

I had my G400 refretted in Jumbo size frets (2.7mm wide / 1.2mm high) - yes, the original ones were small and too low, due to many previous levelings I think.

Thanks to her X-bracing, she had a tone very close to a 1936 Gibson L-12 of a collector friend (sorry, no pics :(). Something like a mix between a L5 (// bracing) and a J200...

I'm not an Acoustic Guy, so she's a bit bored to be too much a "Case Queen Beauty"... :confused:

[​IMG]

-tbln

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

It's not about coverage of different guitars to me, but more about having the best guitars in my collection I can afford for the least amount of money.

For the last 15+ years, I've been buying guitars at pawnshops, CL, and a few at 2nd hand guitar shops.

If I find an AMAZING deal on a guitar, I really don't need, I'll buy it anyway to hold until it can be sold at a profit.

I'll repeat this over a year or 2, and then I'll sell the bunch for a profit to have money for better quality guitar/guitars, I DO want.

I've been able to upgrade the quality of my guitar collection quite a bit and I'm very happy with what I have.

I've even begun buying stuff I really don't care about like drum kits, sunglasses, cameras, etc. ,at GIVE AWAY prices, and selling them on Facebook Market Place for good profit.

The proceeds then go to purchase future guitars.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Someone may have already mentioned this, but don't forget alternative tunings, esp for dedicated slide guitar.
    I take 5 guitars to gigs, only one is in standard tuning.
    Apart from this issue, yes I still like to have coverage. Strat, tele, P90s, humbuckers, Firebird, Jazzmaster, something weird for kicks, something hollow, bigsby, etc etc.. I'm still not quite there yet..

Then it will be time to explore the acoustic/resonator/ lap steel area.. where's my lottery ticket?

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I have the same mindset now.. I used to think, the more the merrier.. and I've accumulated a lot of gear to "cover" the bases..

But then I started to really sit down and think about what Im playing, the style, the tones I like best.. and I've narrowed it down to this few points..

1. I really like using Telecasters for feel and tone - any type of music.. there are some types of music that I may not get there 100% tonally, or I may have a totally different tone than the original, but I love whats in my hands, and I enjoy playing my telecaster so I just focus on getting the notes I need to get 100% of the time which in turn makes me a cleaner sounding guitarist.. I think people hear the notes more than what type of transparent overdrive I have on anyways..

2. I love squeezing out all the tones I can get from a Telecaster.. and it suprises me in a lot of ways that I can actually have the sounds I think more suited to a type of song with the tone knob and some amp/pedal EQ tweaking.. I dont do high gain sounds, so there's really no need for me to get high output humbuckers..

3. I think I'll just get a third tele with P90's to expand my bases.. and also a strat just for the feel of it and the 2 and 4 quack positions.. then lastly a semi or full hollow Gretsch of a ES330..

Some people I play with always tells me I sound like me regardless of what guitar I use, which made me think why have a lot, when I just sound basically the same with different guitars.. LOL..

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the '90's I thought I might become what some of my guitar buddies have become- collecting either real Vintage or reissues of a lot of the cool stuff many like ( Fender/Gibson/ Martin, Beatles gear, etc.) - but it just didn't happen. Just no $$ for this.

But as a frequent gigging guitar guy, I still would like to get a few more guitars to compliment the Fenders/ Dano and Martin I do use now, plus maybe one amp or two:

- a Gibson sound and feel- could be an SG or lightweight 335 ( or good style of either) with Gibson scale length, set neck, 2 PAF- style PU's, Gibson controls.
    As beautiful as a Les Paul is- just too heavy ( yet small) for me.

- a Classical ( nylon string) with cutaway and electronics- just a change up from a Martin Dread.

- a Fender Vibro Champ (SF)

- a Fender Suoer Reverb ( SF)
    * I don't even know what I'd do with a Super- too big for me to carry, too powerful for my gigs, but I love playing anything thru them- beautiful amp!

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Coverage has never been a goal of mine .... nor having a guitar that looks like fine furniture or having a particular model guitar because your fav player has one......:rolleyes:

I like electric Fenders.. that's it.... I make Telecaster shaped objects and a few Mustang SO's from recycled woods.......I've got a few strats, but would never try and make one...

Leo nailed it.. local cheap timber, car paints.. rock on....:twisted::cool:

Jupiter likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got coverage, but just take one guitar to a gig, usually the same guitar, that I've dialed in all my gear with. If I rotate guitars, I re-dial in my gear before the gig. I spend almost as much time on gear as music in prepping for gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.