How important is "coverage" to your guitar collection?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Oct 20, 2019.

1. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

...also, I'm not trying to duplicate or reproduce any particular sound. I almost never play covers, for example, so I'm happy working with whatever guitar/amp/ effects setup I have at the moment. Doesn't stop me from accumulating more gear, but I don't do it you cover certain sonic territory

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

As fate would have it, I just played my bandmate’s new Jazzmaster with P90s this morning. I liked it much more than I expected I would!

verb boten likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a '50s Kay Stratotone husk that deserves some rebuilding, really a solid guitar though no truss rod in the big fat poplar neck that should stay straight pretty easily with modern gauges.
    Some of the US made Kay archtops are really quite nice and Barney Kessel used to play and endorse them. Not familiar with Euro built Kay.
    Funny you mention Kay, I also have a MIJ Ventura Gibson Barney Kessel archtop that needs some fairly minor work, but it has an oddly narrow neck, and also small frets and binding, so it would need a laborious or expensive refret to be usable for me.
    If the neck was wider it would be a shoe in archtop for me, and maybe one day I'll go ahead anyhow with refret and new pickups then see if I can get used to it.
    I almost sold it to a friend who plays one of the Heritage fat archtops and loves the Kessel copy.
    She has smaller hands and liked the neck, but I guess I was on the fence about selling it at the time.
    Should be played by somebody; Ventura MIJ guitars are very good and comparable to a lot of better US factory archtops.

What I really want of course is a vintage luthier made archtop, but those seldom even get down to the $12k I quoted.
    Had a chance at a guitar attributed to the D'Angelico shop but with no branding.
    The story was that either seconds or apprentice builds could be sold by the worker without any branding to avoid second tier product being associated with the master.
    Jimmy D'Aquisto was the notable apprentice there, but who knows how much if any of the story was true.
    The guitar really wasn't anything special acoustically, but was sturdy and loaded with mojo.
    And IIRC around $4k in circa 1992.

Back then I could buy a real Plexi 100 head for under $1k, for some perspective of bang for the buck.

Then as now I preferred one or two nearly perfect guitars and a whole lotta amps.
    Stacks of hand wired Marshalls and BF Fenders filled my loft space.
    I miss the amps more than the guitars...

4. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Necessities IMO:
    LP
    Strat
    Tele
    Semi hollow
    Solid body with P90s
    Brass reso
    Wood reso
    2 acoustics: 1 mahogany body, 1 maple or rosewood

5. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

No, coverage is not important to me.

I can do all that coverage with one Tele with HB at the neck. Is all I need... it could be fine or ideal, but at the end I am a "one guitar for all" guy (and another one as backup)

6. telemnemonics

What's not to lust for in a guitar like this?

7. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Not important at all. The audiences that I play for here are so musically ignorant (what I call the "Lynyrd Skynyrd mentality) they wouldn't know the difference between a jazz box & a Tele. And then some chick will come up to me & say "play something we can dance to". Besides; they don't pay me enough to bring more than 1 guitar.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wanted a broad cross section of tones available, but like the OP I usually just play whatever has functional strings and is working properly. However, for recording I think out what tones I want for each track and pick the guitar and amp accordingly.

marc2211 likes this.
  9. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Guitars, amps, and gear in general are analogous to tools in a tool shed. No one tool is optimal for every task. That said, doing more with less is a sound approach. I just focus on gear that inspires me to learn, play and be creative, is of high value while avoiding too much duplication.

10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Yes. I agree. "Coverage" is not really crucial for me : the feeling, the tone, the look, the playing comfort are at least equal to the adequation of the guitar vs. the music style to be played.

Once restored and LH-ized, this 1991 Terada-made Gretsch G400 cost me circa 1000 Euros total - that's way less than $12K but it may be not what you define as a nice guitar, @telemnemonics ... o_O;)

[​IMG]

-tbln

KelvinS1965 and P Thought like this.
  11. telemnemonics

That looks beautiful and I'd grab a nice MIJ archtop if it suited me, but I can't use small frets so that rules out a huge portion of the market.
    I'm still looking though, and some of the Gretsch offering are really quite nice for the price.
    Tried a $800 used D'Angelico the other day and it had nice tall frets, in addition to seeming like a nice solid guitar, if you can get past the mausoleum monument headstock...

12. telemnemonics

When I lived in Boston and NYC there were lots of small shops that sold mostly used guitars and had mostly musician clientele, so they weren't packed with Squier Affinities and bolt on Epis.

As all those shops close down it seems harder to find better guitars to try out, and there was also the convenience of being able to play a possible purchase a few times, and through multiple familiar amps.

Driving 50 miles to try a guitar is a lot less attractive, and IME I need to play a whole lot of guitars before I find one I'd want to make room for at home.

13. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I realised last year that I had a good few guitars that were very similar, to a point that they were pretty much identical tone wise. I also accepted I can only play one at a time, and 10+ was a huge extravagance.

The dupes were 3 Strats, 2 Teles, 2 acoustic, 2 Les Pauls, with the rest offering some different options.

I sold every 'duplicate' guitar, only keeping my favorite of that type, and also 2 LPs that sound totally different. I'm down to:

1992 MIJ 54 RI Strat
    60s Classic Tele
    PRS Custom 24
    Gibson SG with P90s
    Epi LP Gold top
    Epi LP 60s classic ltd

Totally happy with the decision... Tbh I only ever really play the Strat and Tele, so more may go this year.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I think there is an App for that... Is coverage about manspreading?

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

When I read the thread title, like @Chunkocaster I also thought this was going to be about insuring your collection. But I got it right away once I read the OP.

I owned only acoustic guitars for 40 years. In July of 2008, when I bought my first electric guitar (a tele, of course), I suppose I was thinking "coverage," because I custom ordered it with a P-90 in the neck pickup. My thinking at the time was I wanted Tele tones, but also something extra. I foolishly thought that I wouldn't be buying another guitar. :rolleyes:

Now 11 years later I've got 15 guitars: 7 electrics and 8 acoustics or acoustic/electrics (including a 3-string cigar box guitar). Five are teles, and they have different brands of pickups (Wilkinson, Bill Lawrence, DiMarzio). And there are different types of pickups in my electrics: the aforementioned P-90 as well as Tele style single coils, and humbuckers. The acoustics have different body shapes covered, from parlor to Concert to dreadnought. One set up for Nashville/high string tuning, and of course the 3-string CBG is tuned for slide.

So I cover a lot of territory with what I have, but there are still gaps in covering what I want to cover. The operative word there is "want," not "need." I do want an archtop, since I started my guitar-playing life on one. I also want a classical/nylon string, for that distinctive sound. And I would like a resonator, and a banjo, or maybe one of those hybrid guitar/banjo things (banjitar? guitjo?).

Of course, I could get by with one tele and one acoustic/electric, but that doesn't mean that I'm looking to thin the herd. Like @P Thought said early on in this thread, "...the others are family now, so..."

P Thought and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

As much as I hate to admit it. I have guitars I've forgotten I have at times.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

What you call Coverage, I call Variety.
    I like Variety.
    When I gig, I take one with Humbuckers, one with Single Coils.
    Sometimes a third one for some KEEF in open G.

tubelectron likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've got coverage - Tele, Esquire, Jazzmaster AND Strat!

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

I like guitars and have too many.
    I don't exactly view my stuff as a "collection" per se, and don't worry about "coverage", but I do think about redundancy, which is sort of the same, but not.
    I don't own 2 Strats, of my Teles, 1 is standard, 1 is a Custom, and 1 is a bitsa with 3 humbuckers.
    If I get the notion to expand the herd, I try to get something different.

tubelectron likes this.
  20. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

'Coverage' to me is a bit of a trap. I play drums so I have a couple of nice kits and quality cymbals. I play folk music so I have a bouzouki, mandolin, a decent acoustic amp plus a pedal board for them. My guitars, after much deliberation are just a standard tele, a custom with p90s and my washburn archtop which I use for slide and other tunings. I also have a decent combo and a head plus 3 cabs. Yeah, I got coverage out the ying yang..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.