How important is "coverage" to your guitar collection?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

This is an interesting and related idea for me. So many great players, both famous and not so famous, have made careers with basically ONE guitar, which they got to know so intimately that it was like a part of them. I’ve always thought that was really cool, but it’s hard for me to reconcile that with wanting to play and explore a bunch of different ones... Several of the guitars I’ve made were designed with the idea of being The One—but none has actually made it yet. maybe this latest one though... lol

Deathray and P Thought like this.
  2. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

For me I only play at the house noodling/recording and I only play originals, I enjoy having several options. I have a '94 P90 Sorrento hollowbody, a '94 MIM "Squier Series" Strat, a '02 P90 Melody maker, a P90 DC Jr I built and a one-off custom designed 2 P90 solid body I built, a nylon classical, an Ovation acoustic(would like maybe a Talor) and a P-Bass. I'm looking for a Gibson Studio Lite LP that will be the only guitar I have with humbuckers. A Tele is one my list as well down the road.
    I pick up my guitars as often as I can when I have time or not having health issues and when I when I do I like to mix it up grabbing whatever one I feel like depending on the mood I'm in. I mostly play my Strat to rehearse the bulk of my material and it is by far the easiest and most comfortable to play. It just feels right but I get inspired by other guitars by the tone and action etc such as my Sorrento that I put some heavy flatwounds on yesterday, tuned to open D and almost immediately came up with a decent slide ditty that can be worked into something worth listening to.
    Playing music is a passion of mine but still just a hobby. I can't afford high end gear and I wouldn't even think of buying things that would effect our modest home budget. I just acquire guitars etc by trading off/selling other gear or my wife and I buy ourselves birthday and Christmas gifts if we can afford it. BTW...Christmas is coming soon! ;)

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I use to worry about such things..now I approach it as “what songs and sounds will this inspire.” And “is it cool!..and cheep”

I have a beat up ‘52ri that I use 80% of the time + a hollow body & old Dano that I pull out on occasion,a pair of old Archtops and a couple of small flat tops (one nylon)+ a bass & some odds and ends that were gifts
    (Uke,mando etc)

No Strat no Gibson’s
    (no buckers!) no Dobro no Dred. No big deal.

If you are a first call session cat and need to have one of everything to get work then yea
    “coverage” At this point I just buy what I like, when it comes my way.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. CK Dexter Haven

I traded a $50 uke for one of mine.. I paid $5 for the uke at a yard sale.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

One humbucker and one single coil electric will satisfy me. Most of the time I only take one to a gig. Also one acoustic, one nylon, one bass.

DekeDog likes this.
  6. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I was big into coverage when I picked guitar up again around twenty-five years ago (after a twenty year hiatus). Once I expanded my pedalboard and improved my technique, that desire subsided. While I now have one hollow body electric, three semi-hollows, three solid bodies, one acoustic, and one bass, I'm only really playing two semis (one with humbuckers and one with P-90 types) and two solid bodies (one with single coils and one with humbuckers). No GAS. If I still gigged, I'd prolly only use one.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Strats and Teles get me everything - including some with HBs in the bridge for higher gain stuff. I seem to have trained myself on 25.5 scale. I’ve played some great Les Pauls and Ibanez Artcores, etc, and had a Yamaha SBG 500 for a number of years that was great. But the shorter scale feels too slinky for me and the mahogany set neck stuff tends to be darker sounding. My Strats as teles can do many things well, but the others don’t do Strat and Tele tones very well.

57fenderstrat likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The traditional three is there for a reason:

Tele
    Strat
    LP

I, however, approach it this way:

Tele gets a 4-way switch
    Strat gets an Armstrong Blender (blends between SSS and HSH)
    LP type gets coil splits

I have been messing with Jazzmasters lately though... ;)

NewKid likes this.
  9. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

The wall where I hang my guitars has some blank space, and there are several other walls with no guitars, so I guess I need more coverage. More hangers will help, but I may need a few more guitars for full coverage.

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got 8 guitars and no humbuckers. I don't miss them. I sound like me no matter what I'm playing.

bluzkat, MickM and 57fenderstrat like this.
  11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I went thru a period of taste the rainbow getting anything I never had

Came to realise I never play jazz/etc, and would happily never buy another hollowbody or humbucker guitar for keeps

I still buy really cheap things to mess with and move on at a profit. I like buying something dumped as unplayable and putting it back within 20 mins with a truss rod wrench and a hex key. Just got a jazz bass this week with an overtightened truss rod just like my Jaguar bass. Both will sell for a profit

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was half joking with the $12k number but I generally have high expectations of my guitars while being on a lowish budget, but not quite Squier or Epi low.
    I've tried a bunch of the Asian copy archtops and even bought a 335 Pro but returned it.
    There are just too many little annoying/ disappointing things about all these guitars I've tried so far, and I'll admit the shiny plasticky finish is not an attraction.

In 1983 I bought a Swedish made Hagstrom Jimmy D'Aquisto model archtop with one neck HB for $150 with a nice vintage Guild arched laminated wood hard case.
    Just a great great guitar, and the case was probably a more expensive piece of gear than todays really quite decent set neck Epi imports.

I got so many offers to buy that guitar and one player even offered to trade me a thick body 335 shaped Gibson I'm not sure what model. We both liked my Hagstrom better and I didn't trade.
    At some foolish moment of youth I traded the nice archtop toward a pedal steel.
    Never learned to play pedal steel.

My point in a thread about having every conceivable shape guitar was that I prefer fewer but better guitars.
    This is not a very popular viewpoint!
    Seems worth chiming in on anyhow...

A separate and less easy to define thing is that I prefer to get my range of sounds with technique rather than lots of switches, and also have noticed in working as a tech (and in online discussions) that many players struggle to find any sounds they really love in any guitar.
    From that viewpoint I've spent some energy trying to get one perfect sound out of each guitar, and then work with playing instincts as the lack of switches forces me to use more nuanced technique.

This is really just a personal approach to playing music more than a commentary on the guitar buying public.
    Even if I also find the whole GAS concept crazy, where we sort of encourage each other to spend impulsively.

I'll add that I have an awful lot of pedals!
    Takes a great deal of effort to get one guitar perfect.
    I have an awful lot of pickups too, and keep changing the mounting locations as that is one massively powerful yet overlooked tone control.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really really need a fretless Jazz Bass without fret lines, and preferably with ebony board.
    All my nice fretless basses are gone now and good ones don't come cheap.
    I'd buy a Squier if they made them without cutting fret slots and filling them with white gunk.
    Rosewood boards wear pretty quick unless you use plastic tape wound strings, and I like round wounds on fretless, which just tears up the board right where the durn wood was cut and filled.
    Tempted to buy a fretless neck from China but you only see a sample and too much Chinese sample pic buys turn out marginal.

Thanks for the GAS!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Ha! I thought the same thing. Like that friendly guy you meet at a party. You hit it off by sharing your mutual distaste for authority figures (your kids' teachers, the local cop, national politicians) and suddenly he starts trying to sell you insurance. "Hey, this is a little out of left field. But let me ask you something. Can we really put a price on simple peace-of-mind? You ever wonder who would take care of your wife and kids if something were to happen to you? I mean it used to keep me up at nights. It doesn't any more. Know why?" Spoiler alert: Coverage.

Chunkocaster and P Thought like this.
  15. CK Dexter Haven

I believe this is a older Kay but it may be European. I need to do some work on it, but it seems nicer than my Harmony Monterey.
    I had a couple of ukes out at a music swap meet, and a young couple came by looking to trade for something
    ( I suspect they had bought the guitar at a yard sale that AM)

I had a nice clean Makalia as described, and so a win win. I use a FRAP type stick on Pu W/ my arch tops so yea it’s ALL about technique.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

P.S. If I were being honest w/ myself (which is infrequent), I would say that I only really need an acoustic, a bass, and an electric w/ a few pedals. But what would be the fun in that?

Now if you're talking about amps, that's a whole different mindset...

57fenderstrat likes this.
  17. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

That is a good point, I would feel like amp coverage is what I would want. Choices in wattage for different settings. Tweed, black, brown, I want them all !!!

GGardner likes this.
  18. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I don’t worry about having any specific tone-territory covered to “check a box”; like you I am perfectly content to play whatever I am playing on whatever guitar is in my hands. But, I love building and buying and tinkering with guitars so I do have a bit of a stable. I have a cabinet with 7 guitar hooks, and that regulates my population. Rather than trying to keep certain bases covered, i just like to make sure that all of my guitars do something different, there is very little sonic overlap. Different pickups and switching configurations, flat wounds and round wounds, Bigsbys and Strat and Jazzmaster trems, it’s like a playground in there :)

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't think about it at all. I just get guitars that I like at the moment. Doing this, I've ended up having at least one of most types.

20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mainly, I just really like guitars. :)

Already at a dozen, I'm presently struggling with the urge to buy another electric I don't need—the Squier Bullet Mustang on sale for a silly low price.

It's 24" scale and you know the rule, You should have at least one short-scale guitar. If I buy it, I'm saving $50 off MSRP. That's $50 in my pocket! Perfect guitar for company, right? I could mod it. Any more reasons? I can afford it no big sweat. Why am I hesitating??

I like variety, like 12-string electric and baritone "covered." I was starting to use those gigging, when my band broke up. I got the Ibanez hollowbody specifically for a jazz-pop trio; another thing I like about the hollowbody is it's so different than anything else I've got.

The others are all just for variety. Sometimes I scan them (I keep them all out where they can be grabbed and played), thinking about how each one feels, and which one I'd like to play at that moment.

No desire to "cover' LP, but my next target is a 335 style, possibly a Firefly when they reappear for cheap. I might even go for an Epiphone 335 or 339. Why? Mainly I just really like guitars. :D

If you read all this....go practice your guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.