How important is "coverage" to your guitar collection?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I used to worry/think about "coverage" ("gotta have a strat, and gotta have that tele neck PU, and something with P-90s, and a semi-hollow, etc. etc."). For example, I have a jazzbox that I've been thinking about selling for a while, but I had been hesitating because it "has that sound".

However, nowadays I realize that even though I do have a bunch of different guitars, I don't actually switch from guitar to guitar to play different kinds of music--I get it that lotsa folks do, but I pretty much just play whatever guitar is in my lap, at least as far as electrics go. I'm not saying that every guitar sounds the same, but if I play it right, and I use the various knobs on it and my amp right, it always seems to sound good enough. :)

I think I might be "over" the idea that I need to have different guitars to play different stuff.

Would you call this an epiphany, or just giving up?? o_O

2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Grrrrrrrrr :mad:

verb boten likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I replied thinking this was about insurance, then I read the post more thoroughly and deleted.

Coverage is very important. I have two teles with identical pickups etc. All my other guitars are different sounding with different pickups etc. I only have two the same so I have a backup.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

"Coverage" is important to me but so is "a voice". I can get the tones I want from my two guitars which are the same pickup configuration, but there are areas that pickups don't cover. Need/want the following in a guitar:

1. Trem/vibrato/whammy bar.
    2. Nylon string acoustic.
    3. A baritone electric
    4. A B-bender guitar.

I would call your situation getting pragmatic. Don't worry, thats usually a temporary condition among musicians with GAS.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

No. But having different sounds and shapes and feels is.

tubelectron and Matthias like this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I like mine to be different to each other... That’s as far as I think!

7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Ah, the quintessential fine line between overkill and overkill. Always venue dependent and always at the desecration of them that hired me.

It really was about having the correct tool at my disposal; just like sax players switching between bari, tenor, and alto.

But at home? I keep my instruments cased, so I get to decide what gets my attention every time. So there will be a plank and a box around as long as I am breathing...

and a trumpet, piano, cello, steel...

I'm funny that way.

Skydog1010 and Deathray like this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Coverage had a lot to do with how I put my humble collection together. I stopped before I went into resonators, hollowbody electrics, strats. . . . I have nine guitars now, and each one in some way "covers" a different "need".

If I were to start over, I think I'd go with one good dreadnought and one great tele. Of course I have those covered already, but the others are family now, so. . . .

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

sorry man! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    :lol:

brookdalebill and Alamo like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I prefer that every guitar I use be capable of anything I do with a guitar.

Which means one bridge pickup and a volume knob.

Treadplatedual and Bones like this.
  11. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I got by with one electric and one acoustic for many years. Now I have 2 telecasters, a gretsch hollowbody. and one acoustic. (Lest not talk about mandolins)

95. % of the audience don’t care what you’re (not) playing. I relented and bought a second solidbody for no real reason but it’s nice to have the choice. 1 Tele is a Nashville the other is a squier cabronita with a bigsby. Both are highly versatile. As is the gretsch.

My acoustic is a fender Tim Armstrong hellcat. It does what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I honestly think I can do anything with a fender tele or strat and an acoustic. Those are my work horses and always will be. I don’t ever want to feel like I have too many guitars.

That being said I do have things planned out that I want to get over my lifetime :

Something with P90s (maybe tele/strat)
    Something with humbuckers (maybe tele/strat)
    Rickenbacker
    Gretsch 6120
    Gibson j200
    And maybe a few wild cards like an old epiphone Wilshire or something.

But I don’t feel like I truly need any of those and have a hard time loving stuff that doesn’t say fender or at least feel like it does

Skydog1010 and Twang Deluxe like this.
  13. telemnemonics

I bet if sax players and violinists had pedal boards they wouldn't need to bring so many saxes and fiddles to gigs to get all the sounds they need.

14. telemnemonics

I'll admit I still shop for a nice archtop, but the durn things start gettin' nice up around $12k.

tubelectron likes this.
  15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

No. I don't think in those terms at all. If I played in a really restrictive cover band, conceivably, I guess... though not really. I avoid categorical thinking as much as possible.

16. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I'm trying to get 5 or 6 of each.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

"Coverage" was my goal for many many years. The ability to cop just about anything from the 60s and early 70s.

Then I started to focus on my own signature sounds. And then I went to early blues sounds. The more I specialized, the less gear swapping I needed. Down to three electrics now, semi-hollow, tele, and strat, I can do everything I want to do. My big change was eliminating the LP tones and forging ahead with small bluesy acoustics and resonator.

Skydog1010 and 4pickupguy like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Every excuse helps.

brookdalebill, NewKid and Jupiter like this.
  19. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I had a bunch of guitars over the years, tellies, strats, lp-like guitars, something in between - it helped me to find out what I really need. Now I´ve reduced to two electrics and two acoustics and that´s fine for me. Every guitar gets its attention and playing time. The older I get the less I accept guitars resting in its cases for a long time because they get no need.

20. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I'm at that stage where I believe I have enough different guitars for my coverage. 2 SSS strats, 2 LP's, 1 HSS Strat, 1 tele with single coil and a P90. 1 tele with 2 P90's.

One of my LP's is left in open E tuning and is setup for slide.

I might part with one of the strats but it's a play off between looks and playability. No rush.

I ensure I rotate all of my guitars for practising so they all get played. But I will chose a guitar to play live depending on its sound.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.