1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how I tested an amp

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jhundt, Dec 3, 2020.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

back in the old days (late 70's) I was looking to buy an amp because my group was getting a lot of dates. I would walk into a guitar shop, scan the amps quick, pick one or two and try them out. And the first 15 seconds of this first song was what I played. Then I would try the first 7 seconds of the second song.

If the amp couldn't do this - with less than a minute of knob-fiddling - I moved on. Not surprisingly, I ended up with an Ampeg V4. It was heavy; it was loud. But when I played it, I felt like somebody!

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

In the 70s my bandmate had a V4 & I used one for a while. I didn't like mine & I liked his even less. It was versatile, had handy features like the switchable midrange, but just sounded weird. Could never get a basic, ordinary, normal electric guitar sound from it. And yes, heavy & loud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.