how i did my bubba mod.

myersth

TDPRI Member
i did the bubba mod on my affinity tele and i think it turned out pretty good so far, so i thought that i would post in detail what i did because I couldn't find anything in one easy post that was in detail on what to do. This is my first time doing any mod like this. i put hours of research and forum writing to accomplish this. SO BY NO MEANS AM I A PRO TECH OR ANYTHING just trying to help others out I got the stew mac compensated saddles. The screws that come with it might have worked, but im pretty sure they are to short. I got M3 x 1.75in screws at busy beaver. Those were a little long, but they worked out fine. a good size would be M3 x 1.5in screws.

first steps i did was
-take strings off
-remove bridge
-take out pup
-remove old saddles

After that i took masking tape and put a strip along the front of the bridge. I then took and poked the tape were all the holes were just so i could see exactly were the holes were. i then eye balled the center and slightly low between the first and second old saddle holes and put a dot. i repeated this between the third and fourth hole and fifth and six holes. I used a center punch to put a mark in the chrome so i would have an exact location to place the drill bit. i used a 1/8th drill bit. I had no problems drilling the holes. As hard and slippery chrome can be it prob only took me about 10 mins to drill all three holes. Last i put the first and third saddles on as the directions said.(Not the middle one because i would of had to put the bridge back on first and i didnt have my new pup yet.) last I screwed the saddles down past the preexisting marks from my old saddles(this is suppose to make intonation easier to set backing it down instead of having to screw it in.) with the height the whole way down. When i put the strings back on i did a full setup from neck relief to pup adjustment. Im pretty sure i got my intonation almost exact. mess around with string height on the flat side to help sharpen it out along with adjusting the saddle screws. If you have any questions hit me up.post here and if i dont reply quick PM me then ill post asap so i can answer you thanks for all that helped and hope this helps any one out

Attachments

• IMG_4219 (640x214).jpg
    IMG_4219 (640x214).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_4220.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4224.jpg
    IMG_4224.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 300

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
There as a post here previously about this mod & the op needed longer intonation screws. No such luck w yours! Nice job.

Let's get a good look at that tele too. Is that the Metallic Blue Affinity?

myersth

TDPRI Member
i no that there are most of them are mine asking specific questions and some are not. i figured id make one big simple post of everything i learned and combined to do this. so maybe it would make someone else search easier. and thanks man i sounds great to. no its the lake placid blue. i wanted the metallic but its been discontinued.

Attachments

• 10934316_10205446616505850_1519925014_n.jpg
    10934316_10205446616505850_1519925014_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 164

myersth

TDPRI Member
oh ya forgot to put that i did not slot my saddles. there was mixed opinions on another post of mine about it. i decided not to and see what happens. they are on there good enough not to move even during bends

TimmyV

Tele-Holic
Good job! You did better than I did. But mine still looks good enough and work as it should. Enjoy it!

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
I did something similar. I drilled a fender vintage bridge plate and used 3 brass saddles. My squire is a mim model top loader so it worked out pretty well. I prefer the edges and thinner steel on a vintage bridge plate.

61fury

Friend of Leo's
I did the Bubba mod too. I'm just curious, how far are your saddles from the back of the bridge? Mine are about an inch, and that's with my attempt at intonation (which is ok). Though my saddles are the ridged kind ( mines an Affinity, LPB too, or Duplicolor GM medium blue)

myersth

TDPRI Member
that one pic that show all 3 saddles is my finished product after i did the set up. what did you spray paint it lol

61fury

Friend of Leo's
Started out with ReRanch LPB but after I screwed that up I went with the Duplicolor. Still, first time painting/refinishing, took me three attempts . About 100 or so in paint. the finish isn't great, some dull spots in some lights but over all shiny and satiny smooth. And I blocked in the old control route to do the Mustang plate thing, the outline shows up but you can't feel it. I'm not sold on lacquer finishes anymore but I do love the silky feel of them. Here it is

Attachments

• Forearmbellycuts.jpg
    Forearmbellycuts.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 194
  • hanginggoodcrop.jpg
    hanginggoodcrop.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 177
  • teleaffinbothcuts.jpg
    teleaffinbothcuts.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 152

myersth

TDPRI Member
thats pretty fancy there. i dont think id ever tackle finshing a guitar painting isnt my thing lol looks good to me lol

jpricewood

Tele-Meister
I'm also glad the screws were long enough for you. I had to replace mine with 40 mm M3 screws, but the intonation is spot on now.

myersth

TDPRI Member
ya i think mine were 45mm but i think thats thats the same as 1.75in but the 40 would of worked id just figured go bigger just in case but i dont think it looks bad