How I acquire guitars without my wife having a stroke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bryan A, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Bryan A

Bryan A TDPRI Member

on the first Sunday of the new year, I put $1 into a jar. On the 2nd Sunday, I put $2. On the 5th Sunday, $5. It’s $30 on the 30th Sunday, and so on until we reach the 52nd and final Sunday of the year and I put $52. Over the course of the year, this amounts I believe to just under $1400. In addition to that, every paycheck (I get paid every 2 weeks) I add an extra $20. This comes up to an extra $520. So at the end of the year, I have $2000 give or take.

Following this method over the past 4 years, I’ve been able to buy:

-Gibson Custom Shop L2 acoustic (1 of 50 made, bought new. The seller was asking $3200, I offered $2000 and he accepted)

-Martin HD-28 (bought used, paid $1500)

-Martin 000-28 amberburst (bought new, open box, saved $1000)

-1992 Fender Telecaster 52 avri (bought used, paid $900)

-Fender 57 Champ Custom (bought new, $1000)

-and I’m a set of pickups shy of finishing a high end Partscaster

I’m planning on possibly getting a Gretsch Duo Jet as my 2021 guitar.

My wife knows I have an annoying stack of guitar cases in the spare bedroom, but she has no earthly idea how much I’ve spent over the past 4 years. I told her that I was doing the $1+ per week thing to buy whatever I want and she said ok. Doesn’t seem like much to her. If she had any clue that I have 2 guitars that I paid $2000 each for, she see it differently.

2. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Big picture, you’re spending the kind of money that a lot of people piss away on coffee and a thousand other little things.

3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

I like the way you do it.

It's also a good thing your wife doesn't frequent guitar forums devoted to the Telecaster.

4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

The best way to ensure your wife doesn't have a stroke is to make sure she eats healthily and exercises regularly.

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Your wife looks the other way when you do that. That's cool. A quick glance at what you bought tells me that most times you had money left over. Next time buy something for your wife with the extra. You might get more out of that than a guitar.

6. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I sneak mine in when she is feeding the chickens.I still have not told her i got a AC15 a year and a half ago.

shtuck, M2roadwarrior, Matt G and 4 others like this.
  7. Bryan A

Bryan A TDPRI Member

Absolutely. Our 20th anniversary is in March and she’s getting a $1500 prize out of what I’ve had left over.

8. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted

One method I used in the past was to include her in the process. I was looking at an online purchase so I asked her for an opinion. "I'm just looking" I said "but, If I were to buy another guitar someday what color do you think would look best". She replied" Ooh, I like this one" "Wow ,that really does look good doesn't it?" I responded. She told me that if I really liked it that much maybe I should go ahead and get one. Oh yeah! order placed.

9. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I have them shipped to my work address...I have one guitar case she's used to seeing all the time and abracadabra.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That method wouldn’t work for me.
    #1 I don’t have a wife
    #2 I don’t use cash

I have an Xmas savings account that is not for Xmas. It’s to escrow funds for property taxes and insurance. I suppose I could add a little extra every week. Then again, it’s all the same money and it’s mine. :D

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Well I’m pretty sure I don’t spend $2,000 a year on coffee. Besides, coffee is a necessity.

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

My wife is an enabler. Shes always saying, “if you want it you should just buy it”, and Im always the one feeling guilty. I got over the GAS and buying everything just for bragging rights along time ago.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve been addicted to guitars and music since I was 9.
    None of my three wives cared whether I bought guitars, or not.
    I am/was good at TCB, so it was a non-issue.
    Now I’m old, and I’ve been single for just over 20 years.
    I fully intend to die that way.
    I can not, and will not subject myself to anyone’s approval ever again.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  14. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

When my guitar count is larger than her (expensive) shoe and (expensive) purse count, I'll consider worring about what she thinks.
    I got time.

15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

If you put a frog in a pot of water and slowly heat it, he'll stay in there. If you get it hot first, he'll jump right out. I'm just sayin'...

So I had instructions for my seller to ship my Guild 12-String to my work address. I get home from work one night and there it is on the front porch. Mrs. Dread says "What is that?" My young son, ever helpful, says "Looks like a guitar box, Dad!" Busted.

Top-of-the-line Guild F-512 Rosewood, AAA Spruce top, ebony bridge and fingerboard, MOP and Paua Abalone fingerboard and headstock inlays, other blingy appointments, yada yada.

So I unboxed it, tuned it up, and she sat there and listened to me play it for an hour.

16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

When we had kids at home, and I was the primary breadwinner, I used Method A (from which I think I only deviated once):
    Only buy equipment I can use on gigs; and make sure that every year I get paid more than I spent on gear. So the gigs supported the equipment.

Later, after the kids were out of the house and our relative incomes had flip-flopped so that my late wife had more income that I did, I discovered Method B:
    She liked to buy me stuff. Like a Martin HD28V and a Collings mandolin. And she talked me into buying a Les Paul special, a couple amps, and some pedals.

17. Bryan A

Bryan A TDPRI Member

Oh it’s not that my wife cares about buying guitars. It’s the COST. I think she believes guitars are $300-500. I don’t think she has a clue that many cost $2k-$3k or more. THAT is the part she wouldn’t like

18. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Get in the habit of marking your cases with a bright sticker that is removable. When you get a new guitar...remove the sticker and apply it to the new case before she sees it for the first time.
    If she asks..just say "oh you know this one...with the sticker" If she persists...just tell her the guitars you invest in are always way under their current worth, appreciate much better and faster than a savings account, and will sell for twice what you paid for them. Win win because you are telling the truth...sorta. :)

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I basically did the same thing when I was gigging every weekend.

I'd take 1/3 of my weekend gig money and put it away.

Over the years I was able to buy quite a few guitars with the money I saved.

I stopped gigging in 2009.

By then, I already had quite a collection of guitars.

After I stopped gigging out, I made going to pawnshops and buying good used guitars my main hobby.

I also networked with all the 2nd hand guitar shops in town as well as selling/buy with a lot of local musicians.

With networking local stores, musician contacts, and area pawnshops, I've been able to build a massive guitar/bass collection.

The collection has been able to support my gear buying for many years now.

Whenever I want to buy a guitar or guitars, I just have to sell a few from my collection to be able to do so.

I buy and sell as I want without my wife needing to question my purchases.

The fact that most of my purchases of good quality used instruments are bought at or below wholesale prices, allows me to make a decent profit when I do sell any of my gear.

Making very good profit on all sales of my gear has allowed me to increase the number of guitars/basses quite a bit over the years.

My wife has suggested that it might be a good idea to sell most or all of my collection, and just by 2 or 3 very nice and expensive guitars.

20. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I just tell my wife "I'm buying/I've bought <guitar >. It cost $<price>."

As long as bills are paid, my wife couldn't care less how much I spend on guitars.

Now, she does express concern about if we have enough space for any new gear I buy...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.