How Honest Are You?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Okay: What's hell got to do with it? Your conscience doesn't bother you when you're dead. It's when you're alive that you have miseries and regrets.

RoyBGood and Stringbanger like this.
  2. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

I’m honest until wifey asks it these pants make her butt look big.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I think it only toes the political line if you consider it indoctrination. In fact I could really use 43 large right now. If I found an attaché in a park with $43,000 in crisp bejamins that would be one thing. The same amount stuffed in a goodwill couch suggests something more akin to a granddaughter's college fund lost to dementia. It's not a matter of deserving it or not, more like bad karma if due diligence isn't done. But I'm inclined to think we all have our price or circumstance where we change our minds.

Stringbanger and Jim622 like this.
  4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

perhaps something in the language seemed out-of-place to me. You have explained your intention clearly, so I hope we're all friends again. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

The OP's basic question seemed to be whether or not one would keep the found money or try and return it. In this case the grandfather was dead, in another case said grandfather might be in a home and struggling for funds. Also, in this case, the money belonged to the old man's relatives, who may also have been in dire financial straits. "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers" may apply to the odd baseball found in a playground but not to $43,000 in cash.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Two deaths in a year. There is a good chance the family was also struggling. This could have been huge emotionally and financially to that family

Stringbanger likes this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

It's not that I do or don't believe in fate. I just think fate, whatever it is, can usually take care of itself. There are plenty of greedy one-percenters. To them, greed is a moral virtue. But I don't have to agree with them.

Here's an even-handed way to look at it: If my wife needed a life-saving operation and I found the money to pay for it in a Goodwill mattress, who am I to stop fate from lending a hand?

But if I'm living a comfortable life (as, at the moment, I am) and found that mattress money, I'd probably wonder what kind of shape the person who lost it was in. I might not even feel like the money was really mine.

Money isn't a thing. It's an agreement of the people who use it that it represents value. Money doesn't even always exist as something we can touch—as we saw at the start of the Great Recession. One day billions existed, the next they didn't.

And since what it's worth is just in our collective heads, its ownership is in our heads, too. So whether the mattress money is yours, mine, someone else's, or no one's is a matter of opinion—and, of course, law.

For more opinions (including mine) on the subject, see: What would you do?

Vibrolux59 and Stringbanger like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

"Not at all! It's your butt that makes the pants look big."

That's honesty. Now *discretion* is what you say and what you merely think.

Stringbanger and idjster like this.
  9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

...and bills to pay!

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Despite the temptations I'd have I think I'd try to return it. As much as I might need or want it the original owner may need or want it more and for me, even that amount of money wouldn't buy peace of mind. Just my $0.05...

Stringbanger likes this.
  11. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

My perspective is from a guy who recently revised his will after years of deliberation. As to what I would do I have no idea because I've never been in that situation. Neither do any of you. It's all just what we would like to think we would do until you are in that situation. I don't place a high value on wealth and never have. I have never found a wallet but I would certainly return it, I lost my wallet once. I've picked up cash and handed it to the person who dropped it. That's the right thing to do. I've never kept the wrong amount of change, without thought or hesitation I've always pointed out the error and been surprised how often it happens. That's the right thing. When remodeling a kitchen 15 years ago I purchased $1000 worth of materials at Lowes got home and looking over the receipt noticed that a $180 sink wasn't on it. I loaded up the sink and went back to correct the error. It was the right thing.

The guy who found the 43K did what his heart told him he had to do. That was the right thing for him. My argument is that this scenario has nothing to do with honesty in respect to "How honest are you?" Only in being honest with oneself. And I can in no way assume grandpa wanted the family to have his cash. He obviously did not or they would have known it was there and he would have provided the documentation. Unless you've spent years deliberating your will you are unlikely to understand where I'm coming from. Grandpa left his cash to fate.

I should have kept my personal thoughts on indoctrination of the working class to myself, not the time or place for that discussion.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't believe in Fate, but if I did, why couldn't I think that Fate placed the money in my hands so as to return it? To give my opportunity to help someone and to provide a lesson to my children. Thanks, Fate!

It's story time! This reminds me of a story I like to tell about Fate...

A doctor is looking over her patient's test results... "Mr X, you are in a bad state. Unless you go on a diet, stop drinking, smoking, taking drugs and generally abusing your body, you will be dead in less time that you can imagine. But if you change, it is still possible for you to live a long and healthy life."

"Doc, I believe in Fate. My future is already written in the book. I can't change it."

"Well, what if what is written in the book is that you finally got off your fat ass and listened to your doctor?"

"Doc, we both know the book don't say that."

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

It rains for four straight days in the little town. Flooding is becoming an issue and the weatherman says to prepare for at least 2 more weeks of rain. The mayor goes on television and radio and announces that in the best interests of the citizens, the low lying town must be evacuated. The Fata family stands on the porch, look to the sky and say 'God will look out for us.' The rain continues and the fire department comes by and says, 'you need to get out now' and Frank Fata says, 'Thanks, but God will look out for us.' The rain continues and the Fata's move to the second story, a boat comes by and sees them on their upstairs balcony and they say, 'get in, we'll take you to safety!' but Frank and family solemnly say, "we are going to stay, God will look out for us." The next night, the rain is torrential and a helicopter flies over the Fata home, the Fata's are on the roof. They shine a light down to them and from their PA shout 'Grab the line, we can pull you up' but Frank Fata shakes his head no and yells, 'It is okay, God will look out for us.'

At the gates of St. Peter a very angry Fata family moves to the open gate. Furious Frank Fata says, "Before we enter, I want to know one thing, I always had faith, I always believed that God would look out for us, but he failed. How can I enter heaven having lost my trust and faith in that?"

At this point, a very loud, very sarcastic voice from the sky replies, 'hey, I sent the mayor's message, the fire department, a boat, a helicopter and you ignored me, so, either come in or stay out but quit yer bellyaching'

How do we know what we are supposed to do in such circumstances? We make it up either way.

14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I lie a lot.

getbent likes this.
  15. Charlie Bernstein

'Zackly!

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  16. Charlie Bernstein

'Zackly!

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to say I'd keep the money. $43k? I'm in the tax bracket where that's probably close to my take home annually.
    I could pay off my car, buy the vacant lot next to me, all kinds of stuff.

But it would feel dirty. I'd try to find the owner, find out why there was precisely a bachelor's degrees tuition stuffed in a couch. I'm not saying I'd dedicate weeks on end to the endeavor, but if I could reasonably ascertain where the money belonged, it would go back.

Now, I'm not above asking if they have any furniture that matches my couch that they're willing to part with. I'm not above accepting a reward.
    Above all, If I went out of my way to find the family, based upon nothing more than a gut feeling and the direction of my moral compass (which I joke about working like the one from Pirates of the Caribbean) I'd be driven freaking insane if I couldn't track them down. So, unwilling to accept defeat, but unwilling to dedicate too much time to it, I'd hoard it.

Then stitch it into a couch?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.