How Honest Are You?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it's pretty impressive that this thread isn't bathed in flames.

RoyBGood and Stringbanger like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it is not lost on me how a good samaritan, selfless story generates so much ire....

each act we make... has so many 'implicaciones'

Bones, Stringbanger and gwjensen like this.
  3. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Like 75% to most of people.

I do manipulate time to time

Not liking myself as much

Stringbanger likes this.
  4. Jupiter

sometimes the issue is implication, and sometimes it's inference

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. getbent

agree.. I think we are just talking about different sides of the many sided object... and I was referencing Hemingway too.

You go and buy a 'new' couch (to you) and you get it from a thrift store... many implications to that and some inferences to be drawn as well... every aspect of the story has so many threads, frayed and intact that could lead us in so many directions...

it ends up being not what we would do, but who we are and why we would do what we do... our actual 'do' becomes the measure of us, but it misses 'it' entirely.

Stringbanger likes this.
  6. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Well, of course not!

Obviously the you sell the kid...

Stringbanger, teletail and Jupiter like this.
  7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Well, as a lawyer told him he had no legal obligation and he did the right thing. If you were the owner, wouldn’t you be grateful and reward him? Isn’t that the right thing to do as well?

faulp, Stringbanger and Vibrolux59 like this.
  8. Jupiter

yeah, to pull a completely different thread, it's interesting how the amount of money, and how badly you need money, figure into the decision for different people: for some it would figure strongly in the decision, and for others, it's close to irrelevant.

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

There's a lesson in that tale...

Stringbanger and Mexitele Blues like this.
  10. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

...for spare parts. :eek::lol:

faulp, Jupiter and Stringbanger like this.
  11. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I would hope that I might be strong enough to say fate put that money in your hands and you need a roof, I didn't even know the cash was there and there is no indication in any will that it was destined for me so by fate it is yours. I've never been a greedy sort, kind of hate money actually so I think that would be my reaction. And I firmly believe that would be "THE RIGHT THING"

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

"Don't register to vote."

Stringbanger and RoyBGood like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Haiku time!

TDPRI
    I manipulate myself
    Not liking it much

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Good post Getbent. I posted this thread because it ran against all common sense! The finder of the cash, Mr. Kirby, made a moral decision that is unheard of in this day and age. He needed a new roof for his house, and yet he checked himself, and thought, “this isn’t right.” I suppose I could have worded the thread title differently, such as “What is your integrity level?”or, “Would you do the right thing?”, or “What is your level of morality?” But, I chose the word “honesty” on the cuff.

Yes, you can look at this story from quite a few perspectives. I feel confident that the family gave Mr. Kirby some kind of monetary recompense for his act.

RoyBGood likes this.
  15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

There have been minor skirmishes, but the TDPRI guys fixed their differences so far.:D

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Risking bordering on politics it has made me a bit sad to see so many of us (assuming most of us are not among the 1%) so indoctrinated to feel the right thing would be to give up the money that fate placed in their hands. That indoctrination of feeling undeserving. Have you ever needed a roof and had no money to make it happen?

17. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd probably tell them I found $21,500.

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I'm taking the 5th.

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. getbent

I hear these stories pretty frequently. I think they aren't super uncommon and I think there are lots of folks who would do what Mr. Kirby did. I really do. (and this thread says so too)

There are lots of houses with good roofs... so maybe there is something to that too! (I am lightly joking)

Maybe what is important to people and what they value and what they desire and covet is part of the metric too... maybe needing a roof to one guy means one thing and to another it is just a 'oh, yeah, I need a roof too.'

The challenge to the thread, for me, becomes the weighty term 'moral'... it just becomes a new virtue signal that someone's act makes him superior or more virtuous.. *maybe it does... but it incites people and divides them rather than bringing them together.

Is he putatively 'better' by finding the people who donated the couch (maybe to be magnimous and maybe to just get rid of grandpas things) and give them the money that part and parcel they ridded themselves of?

Wouldn't it have been more charitable (which weighs into the morality/virture question) to simply give the money to the previous owner (the goodwill or thrift store)? Maybe the money would have helped more people? or maybe if Mr. Kirby had used the money to fix his roof... on some rainy, freezing night in the late fall, Joe and Mary Schwartz may have shown up, Mary in a late term difficult pregnancy, needing a warm dry place to stay and providing that, seemingly by chance and opportunity? (or divine intervention)

All these things happen and we think we are making choices and 'being something' but maybe we aren't. I don't know for sure. I think when I randomly pull over and help a car with a flat tire I just should or I want to. I don't even really know why.

Maybe Mr. Kirby ALWAYS returns the money to the person he chooses, like in this case, because, for him, it explains his life and reassures him that it makes sense and is fair and working as designed/created by him.

Is it a simple object lesson? okay. It sure could be. But, it might just be a reasonably common thing that people do a lot more often than we give credit... Still news, because many of us sit in judgement of our fellow man and find them wanting.... but, in truth, there are a lot of people who would behave similarly... My evidence for that beyond experience, is the episodes they used to do on a network show where they tested people in public places to see how they would respond.... and they always seemed to do really well... even in the face of perceived common sense.

kingofdogs1950 and Stringbanger like this.
  20. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Well maybe just to offer to fix his roof for being so honest and kind. But, maybe somebody would pay it forward to him someday as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.