1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Honest Are You?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jan 19, 2020.

1. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

It depends. Mom & Pop store makes an error in my favour, I will make the effort to get things corrected. Big box store? I might if it's not too inconvenient for me.

Someone, say, leaves a pile of money on a desk at work or their wallet in a bar? Doesn't matter how much cash, it's safe
    However, an untended box of cookies, bag of potato chips or plate of fries? Yeah, I'm taking one.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The thing I got in the most trouble for was lying, not because I was a big liar but because it was the one thing my Mother believed a kid must never do.

Swearing was OK, staying out late or not coming home was fine if I called, making noise or breaking stuff were fine for a kid.

No lying tolerated though.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I'm honest to a fault. So ..... I've been doing the same job to earn a living for 42 ½ years, I've been married for 46 years, I live a lower middle class life style and have never cared what color the grass is in my neighbors lawn. I'm honest, simple, pleased and happy. I find it's just easier and worry free this way. I'll leave the power and riches to those that live by other self standards.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

This is how honest i am....
    Im honest enough to tell you that im not lying when i say i would have kept that money.

Bones and Stringbanger like this.
  5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

To the point it gets me in trouble.

Stringbanger and Bones like this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I'm so honest I've missed opportunities over the years.;)

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a way too guilty conscience. I would seek the owner out immediately. If I thought it was drug money, then I'd keep it.

Stringbanger likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh hell if I was single and died in my sleep my stuff would be similarly hard to sift through.
    Mostly because I have more cool stuff than I have space, and part of the reason I have all this stuff is I sifted through two parents and two grandparents piles of stuff. Plus of course all my guitars, guitar parts, amps, amp parts, pedals, pedal parts etc etc.

Stringbanger and 24 track like this.
  9. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

On the flip side, if I sold my deceased relative's lawn mower and somebody came back and told me they found $43K in it and asked me if I wanted the money back, I'd say, "I sold it as is. Looks like it's your lucky day." I don't know why my values are any lesser or greater than the person who would go to the trouble of returning money they found in something they actually owned. People have bought $10 rugs at a garage sale and found out later that the rug was worth $300,000. Should those people sell the rug back to the original owner for $10?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    telemnemonics and Stringbanger like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

LOL

Stringbanger likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I am painfully honest. I don't even want to find money, or anything of that nature. I HAVE to give it back, and it just creates problems for me. I'll just pass on finding money. I especially don't want to find $43,000 because I might find that I can live with...

Stringbanger and Jupiter like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We found five hundred dollars of my own money that had been missing for six years, and you guys wanted me to give it to my wife, who actually found it, I offered it to her, but she wouldn't take it! How can I feel guilty about my own money? And no, I ain't gonna send it to Stringbanger either! See what I mean, found money is just a problem. But I'm glad to have it back! :D

telemnemonics and Stringbanger like this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Some good karma was earnt.

Stringbanger and Bones like this.
  14. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Let’s make it telecaster related. You walk into a thrift store and spot an old thermometer case in the corner, there’s a 52 tele in it, looks real, the tag on the handle. Do you buy it and take it home? Do you tell the thrift store what it’s really worth? Do you track down the people who donated it? Is it on the store or the donating party to know what they have?

Stringbanger likes this.
  15. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

also I would never poke a drunk girl in the butt

Stringbanger and Jupiter like this.
  16. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Depends.

Stringbanger likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I was appalled about a pricing printing error on a TV an electronics store in Europe made recently. Within minutes there were queues around the shop to rip off the company and people threatening the store staff if they would not let them buy trolley loads of three or four devices.

You cannot tell me these people who turned up and rioted were ‘needy’ - they all had smartphones with data packages. They all were sharing info. about how to get there and rip off the company.

Just the idea that around us are so so many grasping, greedy, hyena like people that will seek to take advantage of any mistake, oversight or error, disgusts me. Who can you trust? What else will they be ripping off? Taxes that help local communities, skimming stuff at work, fiddling work expenses. There is a type of person that will cheat if they they think they have any opportunity to get away with it. Its a pattern of behaviour that you choose to follow - not an ‘it depends’.

Finders keepers may be law... but in this case, there was a way to return it. Give it to the cops. If no one claims it, its yours too anyway - legally and unambiguously.

Proceeds of crime? Give it to the cops. Might be evidence needed to make a case work.

In the OP’s story, it was a grandparent’s stash. Obviously unable to pass on the info. about the money, a granddaughter now has it. I’d not need to know more than that to know the value of what I did would exceed a few grand. I work hard and can pay my way, I’d rather, earn than exploit another and would want to teach that to my kids. I’ve gone out of my way to return every lost wallet or phone I’ve found.

That Minnesota man will have a lifetime of people saying he is a genuinely good man. That, gentlemen is, priceless.

if the story came out that, gramps stash had been left in a sofa, but Minnesota man had spent it on a pickup, a bunch might say ‘good on him’.. but I’d never trust him with anything ever again.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    telemnemonics, Stringbanger and Bones like this.
  18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think Honesty has as much to do with it as it does Morality.
    Legally, the Money is his.
    Morally...?

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When a question about honesty seems difficult, it's only because you don't want to acknowledge what your conscience is telling you.

Didn't read the link, but based on my understanding, I'd keep the cash, with no hesitation. It's not about honesty. Now, if the seller contacted me, wondering if he'd left money in there, because now he can't find it... absolutely, I'd return it.

I have been known to call a merchant and tell them they undercharged me. People are always so surprised, it's kinda sad.

Stringbanger likes this.
  20. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

ok folks, how about this.
    pay tax on it, then keep it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.