How Honest Are You?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jan 19, 2020.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have found a wallet that had 500.00 in it, when I got back to work after lunch I found the person who owned it , she was 82 years old on a pension and this was her pension cheque she just cashed , she told me she prayed to god for 4 days for some one to return it to her ,
    I in all good intentions could not have kept that wallet ,

at that same job my wife and I had amassed 15.000.00 in cash and another 10,000.00 in cheques , there was no bank deposit system in place to deal with it , and no one knew any thing about it untill I took this massive box of money up to my district manager and dropped it on his desk this was only 3 days take , and every day it was getting more out of hand , the one thing we did was my wife and I documented every transaction down to the penny ,it took 5 people 4 days to get this placed in the correct channels.

honesty is easy if it did not belong to you , how do you deserve it?

kudos to him for returning it

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No. Leave the clues and the note, but not the cash.

Hehehe indeed...

3. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

I'm a liar and a cheat, but I am honest about it.
    I'm keeping the cash.

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a girl friend buy a nice leather brief case at a garage sale for $5. Only catch, it was locked and no one knew the combination. When our kids were with us one weekend I handed it to them and said start with 000, and just keep adding one number until you get it. It had a fairly low combination, like 123 or something, so before long they had it open. There were twenty Susan B. Anthony dollars inside, and a really nice gold pen and pencil set. She got her $5 worth for sure.

5. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

Honest as hell.. to a fault I guess.found a jacket at work with 290.00 in pocket plus a 1/4 oz of weed .. I turned it in to security ( I wanted the jacket). 90 day policy at my work to give to the finder.long story shortened.. jacket was still there after 60 days.Im sure somebody enjoyed jacket,weed and cash in security. But for me I’d rather avoid the bad karma..

Bones and Stringbanger like this.
  6. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

The kid would certainly be better off with me than a parent that couldn't keep track of him. I never misplaced, forgot the needs, or left my children unattended. I'd deliver the kid to Child Protective Services. I've never misplaced any substantial amount of cash either but if I did leave cash in furniture I tossed the new owner would legally be the rightful owner without question.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'd return it, now, but I'm pretty flush already. When I was struggling, I would be very tempted.

Everyone in my family was super honest, but I weakened. When I was 19, I was always scrambling to stay afloat. One day at the bank, the teller gave me an extra ten dollar bill. I caught it right away, but took a breath and didn't say anything and accepted it with other bills.

I get home to my apartment, and my mom calls. She said the bank, using my contact info, had called her to ask me to return the extra tenner. Most embarrassed and ashamed I'd ever felt.

8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Does it have $43K in it's car seat?

I would return both. Karma can be a b==ch.

Jupiter and Stringbanger like this.
  9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Well, this one took me all of 2 seconds to decide. I'd definitely try to track down the original owner. I like guitarteach's point about not knowing the circumstances. I think it boils down to generational values. Though I grew up in the 60s on sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll- the last 30 years of my life have found me spending a lot of time with the great generation, burying parents and friends I churched with. They, for the most part, lived by integrity, doing the right thing because it was the right thing. IMO, that money belonged to the original owner or his/her family. People who lived through the great depression learned not to trust banks, but understood the value of hard work. Just my 2.5 cents.

10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I helped a buddy move once, along with a helper, into a semi furnished condo. Semi furnished, as in the kids who put mom in assisted living, didn't want to deal with the furniture, except for a few sentimental pieces, and mom's personal stuff. So it came with a gaudy late 60's era living-room "modern" furniture ensemble and master bedroom knock together furniture, with a bed.

My buddy wanted to use HIS bed, and wood frame, so we hadda take the old bed out. My buddy was going for another run of his own stuff - and the helper and I attacked the bed - which also required a bit of surgery to my buddies wooden frame. Longish story short, there was $980 between the mattresses of "moms" old bed.

I handed it over to my buddy, who said, "I guess I'm buying pizza for you guys!" He went for the pizza, and while he was away.... the helper and I curry combed that place for another possible stash. Like in the toilet tank, behind the fridge, all the cushions, behind and/or in the wall art. Inside the lamps.... you name it. None found. I even took the back off the very very old RCA TV, which he said didn't work. And.... I fixed the TV, which only had a bit of corrosion on the tube sockets - yes it was an ALL TUBE color "console" TV, that we watched while eating pizza! This is before the days of digital TV, so we still had a few tuneable stations from rabbit ears.

Honesty? Not my cash, and he bought the place "AS IS". I dunno the whole story, but I bet the mom might not ever had known it was there. It could have been stashed by her late hubby, dunno.

Just my money story....

Stringbanger and Vibrolux59 like this.
  11. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

There's no way I could have kept that money. But then consider this: What if the Habitat for Humanity didn't keep record of where it came from? What do you do then?

Meanwhile, from the article:

"Kirby said an attorney told him he had no legal obligation to give the money back, but he felt he had to for moral reasons."

and

"Kirby said he could’ve used the money – he needs a new roof badly"

This suggests that the guy seriously thought about keeping it. In the end he did the right thing, but it seems like he was on the fence.

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

when Dad and Mom passed it was up to my brother and me to clean out Mom's apartment Dad was a hoarder of sorts with altzimer like dimentia , while emptying out a drawer full of old keychains, broken pens , springs , birthday candles ,old reciepts , you get the picture...., I dumping the contents into a green garbage bag destined for the can , I find a small plastic baggy with 2 X1/4 carrat diamonds , the process halts and now I have to go through every thing with a fine toothed comb, there was stuff like this inevery room .

13. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Spend the cash but leave the note. Nothing like a prank from the afterlife. They've gotta live all the rest of their days knowing you got them. Or even worse looking for the bread for the rest of their lives. Either way jokes on them.

dkmw, nojazzhere and Stringbanger like this.
  14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Once, at the bank, at the merchant teller, I was buying change for my store. The lady gave me four wrapped $100 bundles of one dollar bills. Get back to the store, one of the wrapped bundles was twenties, not singles. $500, not $100. Heck, I knew the woman by name, so I had to call right away, before she was done for the day and came up short $400. And that's my brush with honesty.

nojazzhere and Stringbanger like this.
  15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Same here. It’s not that bad luck follows me, but good luck seems to ignore me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

If the bank accidentally drops a million bucks into your bank account and you spend it, are they good with that?

Is it reasonable to assume that the seller/donor of the couch intended to include $43K as part of that deal?

Rationalization is a fascinating thing to observe in the wild.

Stringbanger likes this.
  17. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

How honest am I? I’m very honest. A wallet inspector has to be. Now form an orderly queue and present your wallets for an audit.

Stringbanger likes this.
  18. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Is the kid old enough to work and bring money home?

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

And everone who would give it back, you all go exactly the speed limit, only cross at crosswalks, and never took 2 free samples?

The smart remarks really are something else.

mkdaws32 and Stringbanger like this.
  20. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Are there degrees of Honesty?

mkdaws32, Moriarty and Stringbanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.