1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Heavy is Too Heavy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gabasa, Apr 21, 2021.

1. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Hey all, I bought some bare Tele style bodies a couple of years ago, finished them and shelved them. I’ve lately thought about working on them again and so I have some nice Musikraft necks on the way.

I like the way the bodies look, but they’re on the heavy side at about 6 lbs each. Once the guitars are together, they might tip the scales at around 9 lbs each.

They look great, they’ll sound great and have great necks on them. Should I care about the weight? Would you?

7FF4363B-1FA6-4882-A8C6-9682FE456E6C.jpeg C59B1412-104A-4FC4-80DB-FBF375D18AEF.jpeg B2A89A20-0FDD-4443-B934-D4882E08654F.jpeg CA2B07C1-82A9-407A-8606-3AA4933E8F8F.jpeg AD620E6B-6EBD-4C35-B696-1A1F1641120F.jpeg B2750569-9806-46E1-B271-49233AEAAFC9.jpeg

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

By the time they're built up, they'll still be like 200 pounds lighter than a Les Paul.

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I see what you’re doing and I’m guilty of this too- you’re out in the weeds in details. The thing is, It’s totally up to you. I would put them together and try them- without weighing them. That way, your preconceived notions based on internet rabble won’t interfere with whether or not you like them!

I highly doubt that any given one of the legendary guitar players we often discuss could guess the weight of their guitars within a 5 lb range in their heyday. They were too busy playing!

If you have trouble standing without a guitar for an hour, obviously weight is an issue. If your day job involves routinely moving heavy objects around, you probably have less to worry about.

If the dollar inflates enough my opinion might finally be worth $.02

Edit: I won’t flat out discount the desire to build the lightest guitar possible. Sometimes the challenge outweighs the benefits, and at that point it becomes personal. I have no idea how much my guitars weigh, but it would be a lot of fun to see how light I could get one. Basically doing something because you can (assuming no one is gets hurt) is a good enough excuse for me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    basher, drewg and Tele-friend like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I always consider weight. I probably would not buy a Strat or Tele north of 8 lb. In the other hand I recently bought a new 60’s Les Paul Standard that easily weighs 9 lb. It was simply too good of a guitar that I liked to pass up.

5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Put a wide leather strap on them and rock out.

TigerG, String Tree, Ron C and 2 others like this.
  6. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nine pounds is a nice comfortable weight for me. They’ll have massive sustain and no neck dive.

Fiesta Red and Killing Floor like this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

25% of your body weight. That's how much the brass sousaphone I played in marching band in high school weighed. At 30 pounds, it was literally 25% of my body weight. And to think people gripe about an 8 pound guitar...

loopfinding, TigerG, scook and 7 others like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Nine pounds is certainly on the heavy side but your age of "49" in your icon tag with the post means you'll get twenty years playing those guitars before the weight gets to be too much to fight against gravity.

Build and enjoy them.

TigerG and Fiesta Red like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Been there - and in a heavy wool uniform marching on hot pavement! Or performing dance routines on a football field in 2" of snow.

I refused to carry the white fiberglass 'phones. Sounded like crap.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I first picked up a bass of unknown brand in 1978 and guitar in the 80s. I’ve toured, worked as a full time musician and played thousands of load-in and travel gigs. I’ve even worked QC for a major conglomerate guitar manufacturer for about 7 years. I have never weighed an instrument. I have never measured the width of a nut.

You can play it or you can weigh it. Something tells me Jimi Hendrix never knew what his guitar weighed. Something tells me Eric Johnson can tell you how the weather affects the weight of his guitar. Put me in the Jimi camp.

All I’m saying is those bodies look nice, great looking finishes. It would be a shame to not let them sing.

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking this. Where I live that kid carries the Sousa for 4-6 hours a day and only sits for lunch. In the July, August Texas sun. I can carry 9 pounds for an hour in the air conditioning.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  12. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yup, every time I pick up a Tele that I think is too heavy, like the last CS I brought home at 7lbs. 7oz., I think; it's way, way lighter than any LP will ever be.....:p

Killing Floor likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm too heavy!

So, since I'm already carrying me around, I need light guitars! ( really)

Sadly ( sorry TDPRI), that's why I don't play my Tele too much right now ( only have the one)

20210103_141104.jpg

Great sound and easy player- but it's in that 9-10 lb. range, and the weight ( compared with my other guitars) is just a turn off. And I play sitting down! It's not the guitar....

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

Weigh them in kilograms; the numbers will be smaller so you'll feel better.

Fretting out and Killing Floor like this.
  15. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is Musikraft customer service. The necks you ordered are 1lb each. The total weight of your guitar will be 7lbs. No need to weigh them. We are professionals and know what we are doing. So do not weigh them. Just install the necks and enjoy your 7lb guitars. They look fantastic and are exactly the correct weight. Not too heavy, not too light. Perfect for you.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Heavy? My Les Paul Custom is almost twelve pounds of magic.
    [​IMG]

Otis Fine and Killing Floor like this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I love the amber one. Don't worry about the weight, just play it. Ten pounds is not a huge amount of weight for an adult to deal with. It's a psychological issue, unless you have a physical disability.

I have a couple Teles with Musikraft necks, I love them.

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too heavy for me.

Also heavier than any of the 3 LPs I own by 1-1.7lb. The LP comparison is silly anyway. The weight is distributed over a larger and better balanced space on an LP. To me a comparable weight Tele always feels heavier than an LP.

And yes, I’m in my 40s. A mid-back injury forced me to build up my core a decade ago and I kept it up. So my back and core are strong. I grew up doing Kenpo with all the push-ups, sit-ups, and balance training that entails. Played HS football and basketball. 5’10” and wear a 46 jacket, because of broad shoulders and a thick chest. My hands are the size of a typical NFL QB. I run, do yoga, kettlebell workouts and/or the rower 4-6 days every week. Before “this” I played in 3 active, standing bands.

And yet I prefer guitars under 8lb. I’m not a bass player. Or a tuba player. A wide strap doesn’t solve the issue. And to me a super wide strap looks weird on stage.

If you are asking the question you care about weight. Which is fine. The bodies are a sunk cost and that happens. Finish training. Sell them to one of the blokes here who doesn’t care. Plenty of nice looking lite bodies to be had. Better than spending the time to finish the guitars only to confirm they are heavier than you prefer.

My band mate in the sole surviving band? He’s played the same 12.4lb ‘79 hardtack Strat for 22 years running. And only that guitar. Loves it. Sounds great. So does my 7 lb 5 oz LP Classic. And my 7 lb 5 oz ‘73 Tele Custom.

StrangerNY likes this.
  19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Both of my Les Pauls weigh less than 8 pounds.
    No reason to use a heavy guitar if you dont want to.
    I wont play anything that is heavier than 8 pounds these days

20. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Too heavy for who? They're too heavy for me. I like guitars that come in around 6-7 lbs. Some like heavier guitars. Some don't care about weight. Different strokes for different folks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.