How has your style developed?

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Slide - I've worked on that a lot over the past 7 years or so. I've gotten comfortable with playing slide in standard tuning with a regular action on the guitar.

Intervals - I've also done a lot of work on learning intervals, things like "3 notes per string" and such, and breaking out of scale "boxes".

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I did a gig last night and realised that I’ve become slower, more thoughtful (?) and I’m told tastier.

This is allegedly a good thing.

I’ve always tried ‘speedy’ virtuosic million notes a minute stuff. But when I look at my favourite players they’re mostly slower - with some notable exceptions.

Anyway it might be age. It might be experience. It might be resignation and burnout. It doesn’t matter. I like it.

What about you? How have you changed your approach? I’ve taken jazz more seriously and that might have helped in my less frenetic style. (This isn’t important. Just throwing things out there.)

What about you? How has your style changed?
My approach hasn't changed. I look around for sounds and words I like and try to use them.

I hope I've gotten good at it over the years. If I haven't, at least I've been having fun failing.

My attitude has changed, though. I don't worry about my lack of skill or ear or progress anymore. I just do what I can and let other people do what I can't.

Do you really want this thread in the Welcome Wagon?

=O.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Huh, yeah how indeed?
Early on I just always had people around playing classic rock country blues folk and americana to jam with while I learned to play.
Learned basic pentatonic blues rock and faux steel bending, whatever the music typically called for within the style.

After a few years I drifted away from the starting place and played free jazz, noise rock, hard punk, but generally from the angry young man core.

My later life motivation stayed with an emotional connection to the less wonderful aspects of humanity but not as Blues, while becoming bored with myself motivated me to keep trying to add somthing new at least a little bit every week.
Some days I hate my playing and wonder why I bother, other days I love it and wonder why I am so up and down with how I feel about it.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I will say that playing at a party in maybe 1982, I ate some mushrooms that were going around and it changed my style.
One thing I recall was looking down at the guitar and my fingers were on every fret of the acoustic.
Hmmmm.
Hmmm indeed, I think that was '72 for me. Playing slide, after a while got worried I would not be able find my way back😵‍💫

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
I did a gig last night and realised that I’ve become slower, more thoughtful (?) and I’m told tastier.

This is allegedly a good thing.

I’ve always tried ‘speedy’ virtuosic million notes a minute stuff. But when I look at my favourite players they’re mostly slower - with some notable exceptions.

Anyway it might be age. It might be experience. It might be resignation and burnout. It doesn’t matter. I like it.

What about you? How have you changed your approach? I’ve taken jazz more seriously and that might have helped in my less frenetic style. (This isn’t important. Just throwing things out there.)

What about you? How has your style changed?
I sort of followed that same path. It was more of a conscious effort though after watching 2 interviews with Clapton and BB King. Clapton talked about how he progressed to a style of doing less, but with greater impact. BB King simply stated that he has a conversation through his guitar and so he will only play as fast as he talks.

Both of those videos steered me away from trying to become a fast fingered player like most of those around me. I slowed it down, economized it, and ended up happy with the new direction.

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
I've got more comfortable playing less typical notes, phrases, rhythms, etc. . . I now play less "guitary" parts and more melodic parts. I use the guitar as a musical instrument, I don't play music thru the instrument of guitar

I've also got quieter and less flashy, and that has been a result of maturity.

I can use more descriptive but uncommon chords now and they sound RIGHT - instead of being there to show that I know them. My most recent piece has Minor 9ths and Diminished chords and it sounds lovely and natural.

My entire tonal config is also less severe and more subtle.

Also, I can now play melodically what I wish to play. . . not just defaulting on approx. frets I think is right

P.S.: When I wanted to shred and play fast, I struggled to. However, after a few years of just playing and not caring, I now CAN shred . . . I just don't want to haha

To conclude: I've gotten incredibly better in every regard, like you all have and will! x

Last edited:

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
With time I've gotten "better," but if I'm honest, my style of playing is still very similar to what it was back when I first made it past Smoke on the Water, circa age 17... A lot of weird cowboy chords down low, open strings and chime into simple single note runs and arpeggios. Pete Bucky or Neil Youngy type stuff.

Should be said I'm in it mostly for writing songs, and never desired to be a flashy player.

What's gotten different is I've learned more how to get the sounds that are in my head into my fingers and hands, and I'd say stuff like my inherent understanding of intervals etc has improved. I'm still all self-taught (after 35 years). I've considered taking lessons, but to be honest I'm mostly just interested in where my muse and playing naturally take me.

My biggest regret is I had to take about twenty years off playing, for health reasons. I've learned so much in just the past three years, it kills me a little to wonder where I'd be if I had been able to keep my Tele in my hands that whole time.

Last edited:

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
With time I've gotten "better," but if I'm honest, my style of playing is still very similar to what it was back when I first made it past Smoke on the Water, circa age 17... A lot of weird cowboy chords down low, open strings and chime into simple single note runs and arpeggios. Pete Bucky or Neil Youngy type stuff.

Should be said I'm in it mostly for writing songs, and never desired to be a flashy player.

What's gotten different is I've learned more how to get the sounds that are in my head into my fingers and hands, and I'd say my inherent understanding of intervals etc has improved. I'm still all self-taught (after 35 years). I've considered taking lessons, but to be honest I'm mostly just interested in where my muse and playing naturally take me.

My biggest regret is I had to take about twenty years off playing, for health reasons. I've learned so much in just the past three years, it kills me a little to wonder where I'd be if I had been able to keep my Tele in my hands that whole time.
Having an older mindset with a youthful physical conception is a virtue in itself mate!

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
As a young man, I played the guitar like a percussion instrument.

As an older man, I still play the guitar like a percussion instrument, but with much less 'thwack', so I don't break strings/skin knuckles anymore.

More whiddly bits now probably, but no-one else has to listen anymore (except me & maybe a cat or two)

guitarndrms

Tele-Meister
Been putting lots of thought into this lately. I’m trying to get out of playing flashy and just do my thing. Trying to slow down but it’s easy to try and rip notes and sound “cool”. I have no clue what I’m doing or really how to approach getting better. Trying to listen to a variety of styles and practice as much as possible.