1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How hard would it be to make Trigger?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by spurgie79, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Well the hardest part will be finding a Prismatone pickup. Most people who have them want a mint for them. There was one on Reverb not too long ago. It started at 5000 and ended up getting down to 2500 and no one bought it. They're not worth what people want for them. There again, I'm a huge Jerry Reed fan and I'd love to have one too

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dan’s cousin Mark Erlewine is the man who has been working on Trigger for about 45 years.
    Mark’s a cool guy, he played steel guitar on a ZZ Top album in the late 70s (Leila).

Jakedog and spurgie79 like this.
  3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Hey @spurgie79, if the nylon-stringed rat acoustic thing is getting you down and you want to do something similar with a steel-string acoustic, how about Monte Montgomery’s Alvarez-Yairi for inspiration? 3C9FA286-941F-4CFA-B702-7F5EA616DCCC.jpeg

I have a relative that was a warranty-repair luthier guy at St. Louis Music and he did repair work on that thing more than once, I believe. Neck-flexing effects and whatnot...

oldgofaster and Jakedog like this.
  4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks but no. I was just wondering if you bought a newer Martin, could you play the snot out of it and would it be similar to Trigger.

5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@brookdalebill, do you know what kind of strings those are, with the black trebles?

@spurgie79, if you'd rather have steel strings, check out Glen Hansard's old Takamine. The key to making a willienelsonhole is abusing a cedar top, with pick and/or fingernails.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m sorry, I don’t know what kind of strings are on Trigger.
    You could maybe email Mark at Erlewine Instruments in Austin.

PhredE and P Thought like this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

That's not a willienelsonhole, it's one of those newfangled soundport thingys. :D

Re: strings..
    After poking around online, someone on another forum said these:

LaBella 830 Folksinger
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...a-bella-59/elite-folk-138/830-folksinger-505/

If so, good on him. LaBella is a real unsung hero for domestic string production (great for nylon/classical guitars.. IME)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Jakedog and P Thought like this.
  8. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

You can replicate Trigger's looks! It would be impossible to replicate the soul that exudes from the real deal!

9. mike stanger

mike stanger TDPRI Member

You got it half right. Willie has always used a flatpack on Trigger. Classical guitars are seldom flat picked, and part of Trigger's wear is due to the flat picking.

P Thought, Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

well, first you need a horse with a blonde mane..... and then sing to it long enough to get the bonding thing going on...then it should follow you anywhere...:D

trigger.jpg

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.