How hard to install a bigsby on a tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by appar111, Mar 7, 2019.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Just wondering how hard it is to install a bigsby on a tele? I have a stock tele with a vintage style bridge on it and I've really been wanting to add a bigsby to it.

My concern is neck angle-- I have no problem getting a vintage style bridge that has the slots in the back that allow the strings to go from the bigsby over the saddles, but I'd really rather not have to install a tune-o-matic style bridge assembly.

Can a bigsby+vintage style bridge assembly work with just a possible shim for the neck? Or would I even need a shim to get the right break angle for that type of setup?

2. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

It's dead easy, a lot more more so than one would think in terms of the actual install.
    On my last one I used a Callaham stainless steel bridge/bigsby machined combination; it sounds different than using a tele Bigsby style (floating bridge) but works great.
    I didn't need to shim the neck.
    If there are tuning problems, they'll almost certainly be at the nut, not the bridge.
    (Members who are a lot better at this than me will, no doubt, call me on this, but I have had more luck keeping a Bigsby-ed tele in tune with a Zero Glide nut then even a well-cut - meaning "not by me" - bone nut.)

3. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

It also depends on what model of Bigsby you want to install. With a B5 you don't need a shim, but you will need one if you want to install a B16.

4. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

No neck adjustments were needed for my B-5, with brass barrel saddles. I used a pencil to get some graphite on the nut and it stays in tune pretty well.
    I used a vibramate, just so I could more easily put it on another guitar if I ever sell this one.

5. grifcart

grifcart TDPRI Member

Went down this road four years ago.
    Cleaned up, streamlined, and polished the Bigsby casting. Made a black walnut neck shim (matches the black walnut body cap). Reshaped the bridge opening for a Schaller roller bridge. Built an adjustable roller bearing (RC car wheel bearings) mount for a Jazzmaster buzz stop bar. Carved a bone nut. Adapted a wire handle (ebay find, said to be from a Bigsby mounted on a Gibson).
    Finished up with .032 brass pickguard of my own design, stacked SD humbuckers, stacked twin pots (wired as spin-a-splits), 5 way super switch (wired to kick the pickups in & out of phase), 3 way mini switch for switching multiple caps and a Vibraplate to hook the strings on.

Attached Files:

6. grifcart

grifcart TDPRI Member

A couple more pics

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.