How good are the CV 50's 2020?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Bassist, Sep 11, 2020.

CV China or Indonesia?

1. China

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Indonesia

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Same guitars

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Bassist

Bassist NEW MEMBER!

Hello! My first post here. I've been reading on this place that the indonesia CV are worst than the China ones for whatever reason, that the pickups are not protected form the noise, or that the saddler it's worst and pickups are cheat. What's the reality then? because I also saw a bunch of people here saying that the guitars were even better, and I don't really know what to chose... Should I pick a new tele50's one from the indonesia ones? thanks

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome!

The new ones are made at the Cortek plant in Indonesia. The last of the Chinese ones are in customer's hands, and have been for a while.

Look. It isn't that something is wrong with the Indonesian ones; they're quite nice. What really happened was, from the very first batch of Chinese Classic Vibes, seasoned people were kinda shocked by how refined and expensive the basses and guitars appeared, felt and sounded. But in my opinion, the made in China CVs faded from amazing to just excellent to very nice. And so the last of the Chinese ones are about on par with the new Indonesian ones.

The pickups are just as good. Just make sure the neck is right for you.

3. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

I have a 2020 blond that was Made in China that I am very happy with. Never played an Indo one. I did a lot of reading before I bought and opinions seem to be split. The new blond ones do have different pickups than the older ones. No idea how they compare. New ones also have steel saddles. The older ones had brass. I switched mine out for compensated brass mostly because I prefer the brass look. I didn't notice and difference in sound. I think these are great guitars and it probably doesn't much matter where it comes from. Only advice I have is if you can't try it out in person, buy from a company with a liberal return policy. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

5. NigeG

NigeG Tele-Meister

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2020 BSB CV that is Crafted in China. Paperwork says April 2020. Seems there was a period earlier this year when production had switched to China from Indonesia. Remains to be seen if that is still the case or if it’s pot luck on what you receive.

I’m a novice, so not experienced enough to say if mine is good or not. Two friends have played it and both commented how impressive the quality is for the price.

Mine has silver coloured saddles. They’re not steel, ‘cos they’re not magnetic. They could be plated brass, could be stainless steel. Or something else that’s non magnetic. Sound is lovely either way :)

bls82261 likes this.
  6. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

The Indo ones are better.

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have had Chinese and Indonesian CV guitars, and I actually like the necks and narrow tall frets on the new ones more than the previous ones. They seem to be coming out of both countries now and the new ones will have the new specs, no matter where they come from. It appears that Fender is using factories in both countries now, and one run may be from one place and the next run from the other, depending on the factorie's schedules and Fender's requirements for delivery.

8. jamesronguitar

jamesronguitar TDPRI Member

I have a 2020 MIC and I am impressed with it regardless of where it was made. I just picked this one out because it spoke to me. I didn't ever think Squier made guitars this nice but apparently they do in my opinion. So I would say 2020 CVs are nice but I have never played earlier ones.

9. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge TDPRI Member

I have a 2020 MIC White blonde (jan.) and 2020 Indo BSB (aug), just arrived. Had the WB for 6 months, just an observation, build quality and necks on par. With amp setting left alone, and tone/vol set same on each, I would say the Indo wins on sweetness of tones. Dunno if any difference ( A3/A5) in pick-ups, between the two. As mentioned above, maybe all from one location now, and probably all with same hardware.

As I said, just an observation, I like 'em both.;)

10. Ivyjane

Ivyjane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Not having a made in china to compare with, I have to say my Indonesian 50's Classic Vibe is probably one the best playing guitar I have.

It sounds brilliant, albeit a bit bass heavy on the neck pickup.

I'm slowly coaxing the tones I want out of it, and having a lot of fun doing so.

11. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a Chinese one and I hate to say that you might have to replace the pots. Seems like many here had that problem myself included.
    Like to think that the Indos would do better but as always you get what you pay for.

Otherwise I love mine and I've heard good things about the Indos too. Time will tell.

12. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

New pots are dirt cheap and soldering is an easy task. So no big deal if the stock ones are crap.

For such cheap guitars, if the worst thing anyone could say about them is that the switch and the pots are junk, that's pretty good going.

bls82261 and Randypttt like this.
  13. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Bump

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.