How good are Fender Player Series Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by plmici, May 8, 2019.

1. plmici

plmici TDPRI Member

Last year I picked up a 88' Fender MiJ Tele and it has become my favourite guitar right away. Now I need another one just for backup guitar - does anyone have any experience with Teles from Player series? Worth the money?

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

People like the new Player series.
    But for a backup just get a MIM Standard, tons available used for not a lot of money.

Twang Deluxe, bravescoob and tery like this.
  3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you can be wrong with either the Player or a second hand Standard. If you compare a new Player with a second hand (but in pristine condition) Standard, you could really save some money with buying the standard.

You could of course, also safe a little more for an even better guitar, and use your current guitar as backup. ;)

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Player Teles are really nice. Just be forewarned that there are still some out there that have the Strat-styled bent-steel saddles. Those saddles cover the holes in the body/bridge plate where the string goes, meaning you would have to move the saddles 1/2" an inch or so when restringing. Fender recognized the issue and started shipping them with the same (or at least very similar) solid saddles as found on the older MIM Standards with their second batch of production in the fall of last year. Fender will replace the saddles under warranty, but at this point why hassle with that if you can just get one that already has the solid saddles.

Plus a certain percentage of the first batch of Player Teles even have the bridges mis-aligned so just replacing the saddles won't work; those had to be completely replaced with a different guitar. This is what happened to me as I had purchased one of the first batch in July 2018; I never liked the replacement that I was sent (I wouldn't have purchased that particular Tele had I been given a choice) so I no longer have one. But it wouldn't stop me from getting another one at some point - just one that I would pick out by running the racks to find it.

Of course this advice only refers to the single-coil Player Tele; the Player Tele HH has a hard-tail Strat bridge so the bent steel saddles on those fit properly.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  5. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

I personally had problems with all of the players series, dead frets, uneven frets. Sometimes the electronics don't even work and pots just keep spinning. A lot of people like them but I see them as a step down from the original MIM line since rosewood isn't a an option for the neck. A lot of the bridges and routing holes also seem to me really misaligned like the bridge for a tele for example.

6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

They are what you want dude, and doesnt cost 1500-2000 $. I have tpl blue one w/ singles

7. bravescoob

bravescoob TDPRI Member

Just get a used MIM or Squire Classic Vibe if it is a backup

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

They are generally quite nice.I don't own a Player Tele but have played about a dozen or so and was always pleased with the playability and tone.I own a Player Strat and it is fantastic.

RoCkstAr256 and surf_jimi like this.
  9. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford TDPRI Member

Solid guitars, I have a highly resonant example. I like the bent steel saddles tbh and pushing the saddle back on the spring when you change strings doesn't even take any additional time

10. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

I have a white 2018 MIM Standard. Replaced the neck pu with a SD Vintage Stack (hidden mini bucker, same chrome cover, $75) and a Fender 64 reissue bridge $45. Man it sounds great!!!

11. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't have a players tele but I do have a players strat. If the teles are like my strat then it is solidly built and plays extremely well.

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

The mij guitars are really good. So are so many others. Find another that you like and you’ve got your backup. Too many guitars are a function of advertising. Whatever you like and sounds good is just fine! Who cares what the label is on the headstock! (Just my 0.05.)

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I personally don't get along all that well with the MIJ examples......

But if you do, wouldn't it make more sense to simply get your hands on a second one of those?

I'm saying, the feel and "sense" of the Player is just going to seem very different to you, most probably. The question is not, how good are these Players, but whether they're either extraordinarily good value or virtual clones of what you already know and like. I would respectfully suggest they are neither. They're OK value over here in the USA but not so much so in Europe based on what I see with Thomann and etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.