How Fender Is Taking Its 75-Year-Old Brand Onto TikTok And The Digital Future

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 19sixty3, Sep 20, 2021.

1. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Tele-Meister

String Tree and jays0n like this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

15 minutes of fame in 10 minutes or less?

I think my opinion is not relevant.

I’m not sure how I feel about that.

19sixty3 likes this.
  3. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

One word: evolve

Mjea80, Steve Holt, Lawdawg and 2 others like this.
  4. LesQuire

LesQuire Tele-Meister

The medium for marketing changes, I'm guessing most guitar players don't read the guitar mags as much anymore so they need ways to reach new customers, nothing strange about it. I'm not a tiktok fan, but I do get sucked into a youtube shorts black hole every now and then and that's the same thing.

5. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Wut's a Tictok?

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ask a clock

19sixty3 likes this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I thought that another self aggrandizing site with a bent toward dancing in a mirror.

Blackmore Fan and 19sixty3 like this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

In an ever changing marketing world it does make sense. The demographic is changing to younger and predominantly female.

Evolve or die. It’s pretty simple

19sixty3, jays0n, Mjea80 and 4 others like this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

It's a no brainer. To attract younger consumers you have to market where they are and people under 30 are on social media platforms like TikTok. Money spent on marketing guitars to my demographic -- 50+ men -- is a surefire way to kill your brand's long term viability. A repeated lament on TDPRI is that the younger generations aren't into guitar, well this is how you fix that.

We'll see whether it works or not, but I think Fender's overarching strategy the past 5-10 years to grow the overall market of young guitar players is the correct and smart move. Fender isn't competing against Gibson, they're competing against Playstations and iPhones.

Manual Slim, 19sixty3, jays0n and 2 others like this.
  10. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Good for them. Adapt,adapt, adapt.

19sixty3 and Lawdawg like this.
  11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

To be a successful brand on tik tok I've found the brand needs to engage in posts that have nothing to do with them. The Detroit Lions (of all teams) has a really popular tik tok because they'll drop in on random videos and leave a comment that drums up a lot of attention. If Fender can do the same, they could make a really big wave.

Currently Tobasco has been winning hearts and minds by finding a girl that loved one of their small bottles and sending her a ton of merchandise. And then she posts about the surprise gifts they keep sending her. Its all fun. But a video or two demoing gear or having some old guy play guitar isn't going to attract much attention on tik tok, in my opinion.

19sixty3 likes this.
  12. gpilgrim

gpilgrim TDPRI Member

With all the dancing on Tiktok someone duck walking a Tele ala Chuck Berry could work out nicely

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

fancy clock, a bird pops out every hour or so..

14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

consumers, got to consume...
    most people have the attention span of a gnat. just keep flashing pictures of guitars with cool music. include a cross promotion for Brawndo with a new Telecaster flavor

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Brilliant. It’s brilliant. Fender is targeting the most viable market for new guitar sales and hitting the bulls eye. I’m not the market. I already have three Fender guitars and didn’t buy a single one of them new. And I’m unlikely to buy another. I distrust on line sales so direct marketing to me falls on deaf ears. Younger musicians live on line.

Personally, I think some of the new colors are ghastly. I like noiseless pickups but they’re not vintage sounding. Whether that’s good or bad is a matter of opinion but noiseless wins for digital recording. Fender also wins the SS modeling amp battle. Model one amp well rather than 10 amps poorly.

Fender will still be relevant 10 and 20 years down the road. Gibson will continue to buy up irrelevant companies. Anyone see a pattern here?

NC E30 likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Forbes refuses to let me see the content unless I allow them to mine my data.
    Sorry digital future, I'm not for free or even for sale...

17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Tbh it’s fine to cover all bases but fender is like coke. Anyone who buys one knows what it is already. Even a lot of my non musician friends know what a Stratocaster is.

their biggest interest generated from social media probably comes from the constant barrage of SRV or John Mayer or neo soul kids playing tasty looking strats probably moreso than them dumping any money in themselves.

19sixty3 likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My first thought about the new Player Plus series was that they were very Instagram/TikTok friendly. All the kids want to be "influencers" these days just like 70's kids wanted to be rock stars or athletes.

19sixty3 likes this.
  19. Opt_234

Opt_234 Tele-Meister

Fender has always been really player centric

remember, leo didn't play. so out iconic teles and strats and basses we have today were created by leo and george, but other features were forged by player consultation and advice

fender knows where guitar is going. players want certain things these days, and will seek out whatever company will give it to them. it's about survival as music changes. more girls play, new styles of music are being put together.

if fender refuses to give them what they desire, Ibanez will. ESP will.

look at how bad gibson is ****ing up. they don't make **** for PLAYERS. they make stuff for rich guys and a style of music that is not in vogue at all. look, don't get me wrong, Jimmy Page is god to me. but i am not delusional to think zeppelin or blues rock is super relevnt in todays musical landscape. I mean Gibson's brand ambassador is SLASH. a guy who's claim to fame is one record from 1987

there's nothing wrong with supporting legacy acts. but that's all they do. they don't do anything new. i remember seeing a limited edition les paul custom. floyd rose, neon colors. not for me, but I was like "hell yeah gibson, good for you". but it was so expensive and they didn't make a lot of them

companies like fender and ibanez will do crazy **** for players, YOUNG AND NEW players. fender has legacy acts like Yngwie or Jeff Beck, but they also have new artists like that one black girl that I can't remember the name of. she plays like, a silver strat I think?

if you're gonna make insturments and stuff, you need to be player centric, and need to get your product in as many hands as possible.

i remember seeing a fender ad and it wasn't about like, the brand, it was about "this is a tool for players, any player, anybody". i love that about them

Jerry_Mountains and 19sixty3 like this.
  20. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

TikTok won't make or break Fender. Ignoring social media all together would. A big business participating on a site like this one deserves a "golf clap"--nothing more, nothing less.

19sixty3 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.