How fast is light?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Mar 30, 2019.

1. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

this is amazing.

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Faster even than fast cars and fast women...

Richie-string likes this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

But what about the speed of darkness?

4. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Darkness has the same speed of light, but moves opposite way...

5. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

I posted the thing about neutrinos and that the Opera experiment was flawed, but this stuff is changing daily like quantum entanglement at a distance. suposedly is faster than the speed of light as well

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/quantum_entanglement.htm

7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I've got a lot of broken stuff besides coat hangers. I'll do some experiments and get back with you.

8. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Yeah quantum behavior gets spooky and this interpretation seems to get contested mostly on the basis of whether information could be conveyed, violating causality. That counter-argument does feel like a cop out... but I know as much about quantum mechanics as I do about heart surgery.

Hey 24track, I can get weirdly ocd about some subjects, and I kinda enjoy debating. I hope it did not seem like I was attacking you personally. If it did, I apologize and salute you for not escalating.

I agree that all this stuff is subject to testing verification and revision and can change overnight.. it’s what makes science both frustrating and exciting at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 track likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This appears to be a misunderstanding. As a particle with mass moves faster, its mass increases so that as it approaches the speed of light, its mass approaches infinity. I'm leaving the math out on purpose here. The speed of light is an absolute limit according to our current understanding of physics. Otherwise, it would be possible for information to arrive BEFORE it was sent. In the world of quantum mechanics, there is something called entanglement. This is what Einstein referred to as spooky action at a distance. Information does not arrive before it was sent, but anything that affects one of a pair of entangled particles, for instance polarization of massless photons, instantaneously affects the other, no matter the distance by which they are separated. At the instant the polarization of one of a pair is measured, the polarization of the entangled partner becomes fixed. There is no good explanation for why this occurs other than that the math supports the idea. I work in a world where the time a photon traveling at the speed of light spends in the dipole field of an absorbing molecule matters. The time is measured in femtoseconds (10^-15 sec). The nanosecond illustration posted by the OP illustrated how far light travels in a nanosecond (10^-9 sec). Femtosecond is a million times less time than that. The time the actual energy transfer takes is less than an attosecond (10^18 sec), a thousand times faster than a femtosecond. This is a little deep for a guitar forum and a lot faster than I can play my Telecaster. Welcome to my world.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Random1643, AAT65, RodeoTex and 4 others like this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have measured out my life in nanoseconds.... mostly to make it feel like it lasts longer.

11. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Lost? Confused? You will be after this week's episode of "How Fast is Light".

JL_LI likes this.
  12. 24 track

there are 2 current theories that model what physisists think they understand that explain both the sub atomic and the atomic models , conventional physics model explains atomic interactiona and the 4 physical properties of interaction , but this breaks down on the sub atomic or on a sub atomic level and then physisists use the quantum model to explain these physical interactions,

as it was explained to me as you have stated above a partical of matter cannot excede the speed of light with out first converting its self to energy , because as matter its mass increases precipitously, as it approaches light speed , but on a quantum level , through what Einstein called "Spooky Matter at a distance" or "strange entanglement"
    occur faster than the speed of light , I'm glad these guys with faster neurons than i have have a grip on this , because ( in reality ) I'm still triying to figure out the fluff in my belly button .:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can neither confirm or deny any theory personally , but I do find this facinating! but in reality physics explains the car crash and quantum physics explains how your cell phone works:D:D:D

what a fun thread!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  13. 24 track

no worries I'm not a physisist or scientist and i learn through this sort of dialog . I love this stuff ,and I keep my mind racing thinking about it, I wish i had this thirst for knowledge when I was in my teens, LOL, and to be honest unless I was there for the experiments and the results , really what do we know , and the technology and theories change on a dime , I know they had used a collider to slow photons down to the speed of a bicycle

https://www.google.com/search?q=slo...&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b#kpvalbx=1

about as much fun as smart metals lol

14. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Quantum entanglement is not motion. So nothing is "exceeding" C in that scenario. The CERN folks made a measurement error last year, nothing goes "faster" than C.

Fun fact, C is not actually "the speed of light", even though it's a common moniker. C is the maximum velocity that any particle can travel through space-time. There is a curve that describes the relationship between mass and top speed through space-time, that shows that the more mass you have, the slower your top speed limit. Photons have no mass, and therefore can travel at C - thus "the speed of light". In fact, any massless particle (i.e. a particle lacking the Higgs Boson) can potentially travel at C. Another fun fact, because photons travel at C, they do not experience time. For the photon that left a star in the Andromeda galaxy and hit your telescope 250 Million years later, the trip was instantaneous.

Modman68, AAT65 and JL_LI like this.
  15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

not as fast as it used to be due to global warming and climate change.

play music!

16. MattyK-USA

It also changes depending on the medium through which it is passing. You get about .75 C through water, and about .66 C through glass.

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

While you guys are all gathered here, can someone please explain why the speed of light and the speed of electricity are (almost) the same.?

18. MattyK-USA

They're not, really. The effect you are seeing is basically because electrons work on a "last in - first out" basis. You've probably seen those little ball bearing "clicky" gadgets some people have on their desks - they are suspended in a row from a couple of lines in a frame, and if you pull back one on the end and let it hit the row, the opposite ball bearing bounces out and returns, causing the end balls to bounce back and forth. If you pull back two balls, then two will bounce back and forth. Hopefully that description is sufficient...

So Electrical current works in much the same way. Once in-rush current has completely charged the conductor, an electron entering one end "forces" the last electron on the other end out of the conductor. So, it seems really fast. This is called propagation of the electromagnetic field and can be up to 99% of C. The actual speed of the electrons is not really measurable on an individual level, because they travel in random paths along the conductor.

RodeoTex and DuckDodgers like this.
  19. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

The superluminal neutrino experiment turned out to be the result of an error in setting up the experiment. A misconnected coaxial cable was the culprit.

Re the laser light pen experiment: Nothing is moving. Imagine that you turned your light pen on and off, moved it a fraction of a degree, and tuned it on again. What moved? Now repeat that several times, so you’ve covered a wide angle.

Even if you leave it on, it’s clear nothing is moving. You’re just looking at the reflection of different photons arriving at different times.

20. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

This fast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.