1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How far are you willing to travel for band practice?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Gin Mill Cowboy, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

I’m considering hooking up with a band who practice about an hour from me. To date, it about the furthest I’ve traveled for a project. My last band practiced in my basement, so I’ve grown lazy.
    Just curious about all of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I would consider an hour travel if one of the following applied.

1. It was exactly the style I want to play.

2. They were good players who would do their homework. No learning songs at practice.

3. After an initial investment in time we move to shows and rehearse sparingly, to add a new song ect. Again, doing homework comes into play here.

3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I drive an hour to an hour and a half for a couple bands I'm in. One of them practices almost weekly, its fun and I appreciate the time in my car to listen to music or podcasts. The other only really practices if we have a show or something so its not a huge deal. Where I live also you're going to be driving at least a half hour to get anywhere.

Gin Mill Cowboy likes this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

i think its about 100' to the band room out back.

Jlwctn and MickM like this.
  5. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

^^^This...^^^

6. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Unless it was an exceptional circumstance, I would cap it at 45 min to an hour. Any more travel time than that just wouldn't work at this point.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Currently, I'm driving about 25-45 minutes (depending on traffic) to play in a fairly cr***py band. The drummer is a guy I've played with, off and on, since 1967.(and is truly outstanding) The bass player is a super nice guy, and it's HIS rehearsal space, but he just doesn't have the same musical standards I do. He doesn't know his instrument very well, he doesn't know HOW to learn a song on his own, or how to practice with a band, or have the patience or perseverance to work on something until it's right. So....why do I do it? I enjoy playing, learning new material, and it's my "musical missionary" work......I live to bring music to people and expose them to (IMO) good music and performances. Also, the more one is out playing, the better your chances of finding the "right" fellow musicians.

Toadtele likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, pretty much this. Rehearsal just to make sure it all works on that song. Learn it, show up to prove it.

9. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Depends on the band and where I was living.

I live in Dayton, Ohio, which is a decent sized city on its own and is an hour from Cincinnati and just over an hour from Columbus.

If we’re talking bar band playing random covers, I wouldn’t leave the Dayton metro area. I’d probably go to Cincinnati or Columbus for a bar band that did originals and I’d go further for a touring band.

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

In greater Vancouver, getting to any studio for me takes at least an hour depending on time of day (i.e., traffic congestion)! We don't start before 8PM.

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

30 min would be my limit. Right now it’s 15 for me. But our bass player drives an hour. His wife seems to not miss him.

Toadtele, artdecade and MilwMark like this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 on this. Our drummer lived 45 minutes away from the rest of the band members so we would alternate practices from his town, then the rest of the bands town every other week. We also used very similar guidelines as @Allan_Allan has stated.

13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

1002 miles each way. Two hours one way by air, another hour and a half sorting out car rental and making it from LAX to the sound stage that was being used for rehearsal...

...and back.

14. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I'm the dude who doesn't know his instrument well & doesn't know how to learn songs. And believe me, I am just as averse to the rules- driven, drill sergeant, practice- is- for- this, not- for- that, scenario as many of you would be to having me in your band. I'm pushing 70, and I don't have time for that.

I've driven an hour each way to play music with other people for a couple of decades, first as a percussionist (where I was learning songs from master drummers in the traditional way, which was to play with them until I had it down. Learning on your own at home would be a confusing concept to them. ), and more recently as a guitar/ bass player.

I also always organize the practice, call everyone to be sure they're able to make it, and go pick them & their gear up if they need a ride. I spend time counseling dissatisfied band members and encouraging everyone to enjoy making music together.

The hour of driving is a relaxing fraction of the time I put into the whole enterprise.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Down the stairs to my basement

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

30 minutes. Tops. If I REALLY liked the project and it had it's **** together.

8trackmind likes this.
  17. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

The U.K.

MickM likes this.
  18. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I agree with a lot of what’s already been said. I’ll just add that a couple years ago I was rehearsing with a band that was about 50 minutes away. That was too far to drive for that band, lol. If my players would have been more on the ball it would have been alright maybe, but I think the drive would still get old. Local traffic levels and winter conditions can get pretty intense here.

19. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

For a working cover band, I'd say for me I would have to have BOTH 1 AND 2 to consider driving even 45 min each way. I'm not going to waste almost 2 hours of my day every week to play music I don't like and I SURE am not going to waste even more time once I'm there if someone didn't learn what they were supposed to before showing up. I expect everyone to know their part when we get there. In previous bands when this wasn't the case, I felt like I wasted even more of MY time during the week learning the material when they didn't.

3 doesn't work for me regardless of the travel time. Even if shows are being played I don't ever want to skimp on rehearsals. Rehearsals are what make the band tight and I want to be able to perform at the highest level possible if I am doing a job. Plus that one day a week is an escape from all of the stress in life, even if it is only for 3-4 hours.

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Funny, but my computer translated "How far are you willing to travel for band practice" into
    "Will there be groupies?"
    I think I need to restart it.

It depends on how good/determined the band is, how soon the gig is, how desperate for band-ship I am, etc. For me, a long drive is not only well worth good music, but good time to think about the music, and practice my vocals.

Which also keeps animals with acute hearing off our local highways....

tery likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.