1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How far apart to keep guitar pickups and transformers?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by itsGiusto, Nov 29, 2020.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I think I read somewhere that leaving your guitar pickups near amp transformers can damage them, demagnetize them or something. Is this only for transformers that are currently conducting a current in an amp? Or for inactive transformers lying on a shelf? If so, then how far away should I store my unused pickups from my unused transformers?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's not really a problem. If it were, the magnet in a combo amp speaker would be hoop-a-jooped.

Transformers conducting AC can have a degaussing effect on magnets, but they have to be right up against each other for that to happen. Storing pickups with unused transformers is just as safe as storing pickups with donuts. Except don't dunk your transformers in your coffee.

Dropping or banging on a pickup can damage a magnet and sometimes even reverse its polarity....and the coil wire on the bobbinare more fragile that human hair. So handle pickups gently. Wrap them in paper and tape it closed to protect 'em when storing; don't leave them loose and rattling around in a box or bin.

Wulf and itsGiusto like this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Why do you think you never see transformers in the same display case with pickups in guitar stores?

4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

were it true ...potentially propping your guitar against your amp would harm it...it doesnt...unless you fall on it

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

But hoop-a-joop can still happen for no apparent reason.
    So be careful, if you ever suspect or even sense that
    Hoop-a-Joop may be present, don’t turn it on until you get it sorted out, it’s not worth the risk.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

no risk of Hoop-a-Joop if you got them directional cables. . . ;)

boredguy6060 likes this.
  7. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.