1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How easy is your gig load out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Laxy picker, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Laxy picker

Laxy picker TDPRI Member

Here is what I'm hauling today along with a double guitar gig bag to rehearsal. I think of back in the 90's and rocking a 100w tube head, 4×12 and sometimes a P.A. makes me appreciate lightweight gear at my age (51).
    This for a Latin jazz gig.

Show us yours.
    20210410_092008.jpg

2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Load out always harder than load in. :)

LesTele, SRHmusic, modavis99 and 2 others like this.
  3. Uncle Camus

Uncle Camus TDPRI Member

Guitar, bass and PA into a hatch back... not easy!

RyCo1983 and Laxy picker like this.
  4. Laxy picker

Laxy picker TDPRI Member

Here is a shot of it ready to head out the door. A spinner suitcase and my double guitar bag. 20210410_094252.jpg

68Telebass likes this.
  5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Very easy thanks to my Fender Tonemaster Twin.

Laxy picker likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Oh to be a sideman.... once you are band leader you have a full van to load , unload, reload, unload.

BTW... What's a "gig"?

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

We ( my duo and electric band) are really lucky in that just about all the venues we play ( small cafes/ brewpubs)
    are really accessible, easy parking ( and I have a 'disabled' tag)- street level...

We all carry just about the least amount (and smallest size) of stuff we need

So, I'm either carrying an acoustic, one bag and a mic stand ( or one electric, one small amp with the same)
    Or for my band I have a small PA, which the other guys carry for me...

8. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Here is my load out for later today, when I'll be playing at 5 o-clock mass at church. It consists of my Taylor 150e 12-string (which will be going bye-bye, when my Yamaha LL16-12 arrives, which has a chunkier, and more comfortable neck for me), and Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge (which is very convenient, thanks to its built-in LiIon battery pack, which means I don't have to worry about finding an electrical outlet on-stage). I donated an amp stand to the church (it's a local Catholic church), and I put the Fishman on the amp stand so I can hear it better, and for better sound dispersion - especially since I don't go through the church's PA (only the singers/cantors, and instruments like flute, horns, and violin that need to be miced go through the PA [the drums aren't miced, due to them being Roland synth drums, that go through an amp]). As it is, it turns out that my Fishman un-miced is more than adequate, since I've been asked once in a while to turn the volume down, which is kind of weird, considering that the music director plays pretty loudly on the piano - despite never having the amp's master volume above 3, sheesh!

More than likely myself, and the music director on the Steinway concert piano (that was donated in 2017, by a well-to-do couple) will be the only instrumentalists. There is a 50/50 chance that the flute player will be there today. The drummer (a nice guy, who like me has done the bar band thing, and has a small recording studio), and the bass player, only play on Saturdays once in a blue moon. I've played with the 2 other acoustic guitar players, on rare occasions (the last time was on Easter Sunday, last week - they usually play at other masses), and that's the same situation for the violin player. I've never played with the horn players. I have the most fun, when playing with the drummer, and the bass player. I seem to be the main guitar player, since on occasion, the music director will ask me to play at other masses (I usually play at Saturday mass) to help fill up the sound (she never asks that of the other 2 guitar players [who oftentimes don't play guitar, and just sing]).

P.S. - the Quliter amp in the photo, is my electric guitar amp. I don't play electric guitar at church (they want an acoustic sound out of me).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Harry Styron, elihu and Laxy picker like this.
  9. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Used to be a lot harder, as I was the gear guy for the band - PA speakers, sub, monitors, Bass amp, guitar amp, guitars, pedalboard, mic stands, etc.

PA Speakers got stolen from my Public Storage locker along with a 65 Bandmaster, so decided to get rid of the PA - when we need one we'll rent it. So load-in/out for me is one of my amps, guitar, pedalboard.

Best piece of gear though is a Home Depot convertible dolly with big inflatable tires - can be a hand truck or a flat dolly that can hold multiple amps - I've had it for 14 years and wish I had bought it earlier... when I had the PA could carry in 2 PA Speakers and 2 amps in one trip.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My band mates insist on bringing enough PA equipment for Madison Square Garden. We play tiny bars with 12 customers.

11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Mine’s easy enough, lately Marshall Origin 20 head and 1x12 cab, small pedalboard, guitar and mando.

It could be even easier, i could play direct through Joyo AS with just a small board, but the amp sounds so great.

I usually help the keyboard player load in/out, he brings a ton of gear. But he does sound awesome.

Laxy picker likes this.
  12. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

I own the PA :(

13. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Meh... be glad you don't play the piano!

Laxy picker likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got one rig built around a Trademark 30, that fits in a slingable cajone bag, or with a mic stand that fits in a slingable keyboard bag. Today I'm going direct in with no amp, so a shoulder bag for a pedal and cables, gig bag, and I'll one-hand a mic stand. I'm big on kits that leave my hands free, or get the load in and out in one trip.

Laxy picker and RyCo1983 like this.
  15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You always have to be prepared for Joe Perry to walk through that bar door and say to you, "hey man, our opening act just bailed on us and we need you guys to load up your stuff and follow me to the Garden. I've already cleared it with the sound guy..."

16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

For me, it's a guitar, lightweight amp or head and cab - no more than 22 lbs - and a pedalboard case with all cables etc in it. 1 trip. If I have to bring a bass rig, one more trip, and I hope one of the young fellers is there to carry the amp.

Laxy picker likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I am the PA guy... so a van load... :(

Boogie, JMP or DSL pedalboard case, back up multifx, cables box, two or three guitars, poss keyboards and sometimes a mandolin and all the necessary stands. Big wheeled flightcases make it pretty easy though with the heavy boogie,

Then the PA parts and I also carry the flightcased 24way desk and stageboxes/snakes.

Others bring lighting rig and main speaker stand, monitors, etc.

Just starting to get some event/club bookings again for summer

18. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Telecaster, amp (which one depends on the gig) double-10 pedal steel (about 85 lbs) pedal steel stool, rolling gig bag (think airline pilot or stewardess)mike stand, guitar stand.

Just happy I have a girlfriend to carry it all.

modavis99, Laxy picker and 68Telebass like this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Once I was in a band with a piano player who used a real baby grand.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My main amp for the smaller gigs I get has been my '73 Silverfaced Vibrochamp(up on a chair or bar stool), a small bag of stomp boxes and my Tele. I mic the amp with a Sennhieser e609 draped over the front.
    I use my trusty/crusty SM58 for the vocals.

elihu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.