How does your pickguard fit?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jonobolton, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jonobolton

jonobolton TDPRI Member

I picked up a Squier Classic Vibe Custom Tele last weekend and it came with a black scratchplate fitted, which I didn't like, so I bought an aftermarket scratchplate in "light mint green"; there was only one seller I could find that had this colour, which is closest to the one that would have been on there originally.

The scratchplate was listed as a direct replacement for MIM and MIA Teles, and I know from experience that MIM/MIA plates will drop straight in to a Classic Vibe, or so I thought. Only two holes lined up, and the rest required filling and re-drilling. Once it was in place though, I noticed that there was a slight gap on the treble side of the heel of the neck, both at the "butt" and to the right of the high E side if you look at it face on. I'll try and get a picture uploaded later once I'm home to show what I mean.

My question is this: does your Tele scratchplate have a gap around the neck, or is it a nice snug fit? The is maybe only a mm or so, but stuff like that annoys me. It's flush on the bass side, so it looks like the cut out for the neck is squint. I've removed the plastic film, but is it worth returning for a replacement?

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Bearing in mind that the necks on teles are not snuck in the neck cavities, they can't really make the guards snug, either, in case you want to move the neck.

But the holes shouldn't need redrilling. That's not a good after-market guard.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

I have switched the plates out on my Classic Vibe Teles without issue. Each one has fitted, screw holes lined up, no problems. The ones I buy are listed as being for American/Mexican models.

You've got a cheap plate.

I've bought a few plates from here, and they've all fitted, if you can wait for the shipping.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/guitarpartsdistributor

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I often find pickguards are snugger to the heel than the neck pocket on most guitars...

5. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I had my SP Baja’s black 5-holer replaced with a white one. First it was Hosco, the first I could lay may hands on, and it didn’t fit properly. The neck pickup hole was too small, so I had to carve it larger. 2/5 holes were alinged perfectly, others were off about 1-3 mm. Just annoying!

Then I finally got Fender’s pure vintage 52/58 eggshell and it was a straight drop on and spot on. And the colour plus finish was much nice/smoother than that hidious Hosco. So, my lesson was not to buy cheapos, but to patiently wait for the delivery of a proper spare (it took about 2 months to deliver, so I jumped the Hosco for time being).

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

CV guards fits Reissue Fender guard perfectly.
    All parts 5 hole guards fit almost as good , also a good alternative.
    The Squier CV necks tend to be a hair wider than many other Fender style necks.
    Apart from known parts , it's always a crap shoot , not only screw holes , but also the shape , esp around the lower horn.

7. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I just returned a Warmoth guard, came from Allparts.
    It wasn't even close to fitting my 2010 CVC. Wrong shape around the neck and horn,,
    I would had to plug and re-drill most of the holes..
    Good Luck!! RM

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a whole bunch of cheap aftermarket pickguards and they all fit my CV 50's tele fine.
    I have one bakelite 5 hole guard that fits fine and the rest are china ebay guards I got for under $10 bucks each and they also fit.

Those China ebay guards are nice these days. Only one out of 5 had a slight variation in size and that was on the outside edge of the horn and barely much difference. I got most from a seller called something like Kaish.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

I've bought a half a dozen or so pickguards from allsoundstore on eBay, averaging $14 apiece including shipping, and they all fit and looked great on my Fender Mexican and aftermarket Tele bodies. Screw holes and everything lined up perfectly, no problems.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=122620521986
    Hope the link works for you.
    EDIT: They also ship very quickly, and the 'guards I've ordered have always arrived in 3 or 4 days or so, shipped from MN to FL.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Squier pickguards seem to be all over the place.

11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

On my 2017 American Pro Tele the original pickguard fits perfectly - all screw holes align and the neck cutout fits perfectly. It's the same with a replacement pickguard I purchased from Fender.

Also, the neck on that guitar fits perfectly in the neck pocket - no gaps on either side or the end, and no shims are used. The neck is screwed down flat and tight in the pocket, and I have the tilt-o-matic snugged up tight too. You can feel every string vibrate wherever its fretted throughout the body.

Good bones on this one, it feels and plays great.

12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I went to a local music store and tried about 15 until I found one to fit an old tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.