1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How does wiring affect value

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by North Southpaw, Nov 26, 2019.

1. North Southpaw

North Southpaw NEW MEMBER!

Hi, I am looking at a 1967 Telecaster that has been changed to modern wiring, original pots changed, original capacitor changed and neck pickup changed (original in case).
    How do you think these changes to affect the value? The guitar is otherwise original.
    Thanks!

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

it depends on what you want the guitar to do , if you want a player and it plays and sounds well then thats what you are buying but remember it's not original so year provedents doesnt apply . I kept all my original parts for my 78 strat and rebuilt the original pickguard to factory specs to place on the gutar if i ever sell it ( actually I had Dan Erliwine do it and kept the paperwork to prove it ) but I made several other pickguards with a wide variety of components till I found my liking

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

George Gruhn says that deviating from original electronics can devalue a vintage guitar quite a bit.

fenderchamp and nojazzhere like this.
  4. North Southpaw

North Southpaw NEW MEMBER!

Thanks. I agree. I am trying to determine to what degree.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hard to say...any deviation from dead mint is a big hit.
    So a minty guitar with wiring stuff would take a substantial hit...but this is for the glass case, museum types.
    A guitar that's already showing some wear, I think, would lose less than 10% with the wiring changes you mention; particularly if that original pickup tests alive.

6. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

If rewiring, refinishing can reduce the value to where I can afford a particular vintage guitar, I'm ok with it. Not that I'm going to be buying a devalued guitar anytime soon anyway, or one completely original.

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think those things are a minimal hit compared with other things like hardware, finish etc. They are often replaced so the guitar is useable. A refin could be a 50% hit. Pots and wires? 5-10% ? Pickups? hmmm, quite a bit, 20% or more? You cant buy an old finish back, you can those things if you want them bad enough.

Buckaroo and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

But then....George is looking to devalue ANYTHING that will help him buy a guitar for a song. If SELLING, he will say it's insignificant.

9. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I'd want to know if the original pu in the case works, hook an ohm meter to it.

If the volume and tone pots are 250K and it sounds good the change to modern wiring is an improvement to the 53 - 67 circuit in my eyes if you're buying to play.

Players would approve, collectors might not.

10. Luca

Luca Tele-Meister

Changed pots and messed wiring, that’s a 10% price drop in my opinion.
    I have noticed that old pots have a sound and a taper that is not always easy to replicate.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  11. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

I agree fully. The old ones are different

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The problem is the moment you unsolder an old connection, the guitar is no longer 'factory'. To a collector, a Blackguard' better have the proper caps and that resin/lead solder look.

It's why Fender stamped refins - so you knew Fender repainted that guitar, and stamped refins don't seem to take a hit because of the provenance.

To a player, you don't care if the wiring is modern or pots 250k instead of 1 meg. So collector grade instruments become player grade with changes like that. If you want investment grade glass case you do.

Low mileage originals with tags and provenance always demand more even if dogs to play.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

To try and answer more specifically , on a 67 not that much of a hit as say on a 52 , need to know if that pickup works though, pots get changed its a fact of life with old guitars that get played and viewed as such in most circles. If it is otherwise original and clean then no more than 10 percent off it , clean ones in uk can be had for between £6000-7000 gbp .
    If you put up pics the guys here can tell you what your looking at properly .

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's no longer original.

The degree is determined by the buyer. If it's a collector wanting it as a cultural icon, the value is greatly affected. If it's a player wanting a good-ol' Fender to play, it won't matter too much.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I agree with the post. Now, tell me about that Tele in your avatar please. That is beautiful with white blond and blackguard!

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Now I want to know

17. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

The guitar in my avatar is surprisingly perhaps a squire CV 50 s , ive knocked the gloss finish back on both the body and neck and scratch plate , I got it and some one had tried to relic the neck and broken the neck tonerider pickup unfortunately . The back of the neck now looks like custom shop relic and finger board has light wear marks on it. The neck pickup I put a strat neck pickup in I prefer my teles like that. She is a stunner though you can see through the grain and has a wonderful woody tone , for Texas blue s she spanks and screams all day long. One of those guitars thats a keeper . In 30 years will be as good as any genuine Black guard in my book. But thanks for the comments.:)

18. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Very nice! I am a sucker for white blonde Teles.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

In the past it would have bothered me a lot. Now that I know how to do it myself I really don't care.

20. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Dragging this out as I had a similar question. This is related to high value vintage guitars:

What if a new pickup was installed, then the original pickup re-installed. Or say an Esquire that had a bridge pup added (and pickguard), but then removed and returned to original wiring.

Assuming all this was all professionally done and well documented - does that impact value?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.