How does this chord progression work?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by DougF, May 17, 2019.

1. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

I've was playing around with an obscure 60s surf tune by a band named the Telstars called Spaghetti Strap. The main progression seems to my ears go Bb cminor D F, which would be a I ii bIV V chord progression. It seems to work, but I can't wrap my head around why! What is the theory behind this?

DonM likes this.
  2. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I think it just sounded cool. There are lots of irregular progressions you can make work. The D kind of veers off outside and is harmonically ambiguous, but by going to the F it moves back inside and turns the progression around.

You could hear the D leading to Eb and on from there too, but it doesn't.

klasaine and DougF like this.
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I think it works because as the chords ascend from Cm to D to F, you have a chromatic descent from the fifth of the Cm (G) to the third of the D (F#), and the root of the F (F, obvs). The way the chords are voiced emphasizes those tones, and it creates a pattern that simultaneously ascends and descends.

DougF and JayFreddy like this.
  4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wouldn't D be the III chord in the key of Bb? Actually, now that I look at it, the bIV = the III in any key, as the third and fourth of the scale are a semitone apart. Unless you call it the bIV because it is major, I guess. I'd just call it the III because D is diatonic to Bb major.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Wally, klasaine and JayFreddy like this.
  5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

It is a common progression ... if you play a Dm instead of D for a moment you will get an idea of what is going on. The usage in this tune is strange because of the melody. It is just CA surf music. They do a lot of this kind of stuff in surf music.

klasaine and DougF like this.
  6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

D is III.
    'Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown' is similar - Bb > C > D >Eb - F > Bb (Croces' in G).

I call the 'theory' behind movement like this: guitarists follow the dots theory. No judgement. Guitars are super visual. You can discover a lot of cool progressions using the innate symmetry of the guitar neck. We all have.
    "If" you desire to get a bit more esoteric you could say the actual key of the song is Gm. The intro starts with a G minor vamp for 4 bars. Gm is the relative minor of Bb. The D maj (V of G harm min or mel min) can be thought of as a borrowed chord - modal interchange. *I personally wouldn't get that academic in this particular case.
    Cool tune!

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.