How does Petey Dammit (Thee Oh Sees) make his guitar sound like a bass?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mapadofu, May 14, 2014.

1. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

And all of the sudden I want to give Joe's Garage a listen. Plooking to hard on meeeeeeeee!:D

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like i said before, hanging the guitars under the chin has become a fad because it would make the player look anti-rock.

But hanging your guitar low is not just because it looks cool as CJ Ramone will now explain...

Earlier in this thread there were pictures of Spandau Ballet with their guitars under their chins but in later years they also found out that actually playing them is easier when you sling them lower.
    [​IMG]

3. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

Actually, I joined 6 years ago. I had this feeling, back in 2009, that someone would ask for technical advice on achieving a particular sound, and then someone else would take an extra helpful turn as amateur music critic/style editor. I'm so glad there are guys out there who can tell the rest of us what to listen to, what to like and how to hold our guitars. John Dwyer has been holding his guitars wrong for his entire musical career as far as I know (Pink and Brown, Coachwhips, Oh Sees). He is also one of the coolest, nicest guys I have ever personally met. He routinely raises money for L.A.s homeless and has a program called Castle Face for the Incarcerated where he will give any inmate a free copy of any record on his label free of charge. When you judge a book by the cover, you will sometimes see a vacuous, self-absorbed hipster, when you are really looking at a great musician with a kind soul.

Now, back to the original question. I actually asked Petey Dammit how he achieved the bass sound from his Jazzmaster when I saw TOS in OKC back in 2012. He tuned C to C, used heavier strings, an EQ and a bass amp. Simple.

4. andrewnelles

andrewnelles Tele-Meister

Well said, this thread was driving me nuts.

5. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Good for him, I guess. I took issue with his art. He can rescue stray puppies and organise picnics for blind folk in his spare time for all I know; because he is half way round the world and all I have is a few Youtube videos to work from then I can only comment on what I see and hear at the time. His band plays unoriginal garage rock in an annoying overly-affected and insincere manner. The overly short guitar straps are the icing on the cake; different for the sake of being different rather than for any artistic or technical reason. If a band sucks then I'm not going to refrain from adding some personal comment to what I see and hear on the off chance that their synth player helps clear mine fields in Sarajevo or whatever. A few good deeds don't make you untouchable, yet you are trying to shame me into silence or something?

OP's question was about a dude making a Jazzmaster sound like a bass. Problem posed, problem half answered within a page or so. Problem is then exacerbated by interviews that suggest this 'bassist' keeps his gear a secret and plays a Jazzmaster rather than a proper bass for financial reasons. This last bit is both pretentious and laughable given the reams of expensive gear he clearly has access to. And then it turns out the solution is to tune down, use an EQ pedal and a bass amp? What esoteric exotica is this?

As I commented before, "Probably he is using flatwound strings, and possibly an EHX Pog or something. He is using an Ampeg SVT in the video", so it wasn't purely mindless trolling on my part. I happen to selflessly give a few quid a week to the homeless guys that congregate outside my local grocery store, so you cannot go after my Warren Haynes avatar again right?

6. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

I hadn't heard the stuff on this thread before,but I'm always open.

It all reminds me of The Screaming Blue Messiahs without the hooks. :lol:

Too much love is one of my fav choons.

7. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I've lived through plenty of musical genres and can appreciate all of them (at one level of another :lol:). Thee Oh Sees don't seem at all bad to me, judging by the posted video. Plenty of energy and they're clearly enjoying what they're playing. I don't mind slightly rough-around-the-edges live gigs and neither does the crowd, by the look of it.
    I'd sooner listen to them than the hyper-polished likes of Malmsteen, Satriani or Fripp.

We now return you to the advertised programme.

8. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

You reckon? :lol:

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Since I play guitar with a bass amp .... I turned treble to 1, mids to 3, bass to 10 and achieved something like a bass if I stayed on the E and A strings.

10. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

He said he was too cheap to buy a bass, not too poor. A Japanese made Jazzmaster isn't exactly '59 Les Paul.
    I'm sure if I met you in real life there is a good chance we would become fast friends. I like Teles, Dead Moon, Pierced Arrows, Lenny Kaye's Nuggets, MC5, Stooges, VU, Tommy James, Marc Bolan, New York Dolls, Television, etc... I also like Thee Oh Sees, Black Lips, King Khan and BBQ Show, Jay Reatard, Lost Sounds, White Fence, Ty Segall and a slew of other unpolished, somewhat derivative, but otherwise passionate and fun artists. Not a huge fan of Gov't Mule or the Grateful Dead, but to each his own. The real issue I have with your posts is that no one asked for your or anyone else's opinion of the music being played. I know you think you are being helpful by sharing your assessment of a band based upon seeing a single Youtube clip, but, honestly, it just makes you sound like a pretentious ***** know-it-all. You've heard the old saying "Opinions are like buttholes"? This is especially true of yours... and I only say this because we are imaginary friends.

11. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Maybe he plays on the jazz master becuae he isn't like the rest of us with the "oh no cat/dog sneezed near my tele time for a new one" excuses for more guitars.

A friend of mine does a similar thing for his bass tone. Telecaster, tone half down>MXR bass EQ> orange bass rig with bass up high rest down low.

Also no sure why all the threads on what's new and different needs to be a couple dudes talking smack whether it's this band, Bonomassa, Mayer, New country, and apparently Warren Haynes too. It's just sad.

12. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Fair shout, friend. I'm not a fan of Gov't Mule either, as I mentioned before, and I'm not a massive Deadhead by any stretch of the imagination and get easily irked by those that are.

Any music shared in the public domain is open to criticism. I threw in a couple of lines as part of a post where I also suggested how OP would get a similar tone out of a Jazzmaster. Hardly the first time somebody has asked 'how do I get this tone' only to be met with 'ew, nasty tone' on the internet. Only when encouraged, and cross examined, did I contribute any more to the thread. You then dig up this stuff months later to start lobbing stuff my way, and when I keep up my side of the deal you start the bleeding heart rhetoric about how this guy gives albums (specifically the ones on his label, nothing like a bit of self promotion) to convicted criminals behind bars and chucks some money at the homeless community. I know you think you are being helpful by trying to paint this guy in a positive light whilst drawing attention away from his musical limitations, but it makes you sound like a bit of a hand-wringing apologist, and I only say this because we are imaginary friends. :D

13. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

OMG! The CLASSIC hipster response:
    "You probably wouldn't understand" in a nutshell.

14. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Don't mock the guy, I hear he helps ducklings cross the road and gives crayons (with his name embossed on the side) to registered sex offenders.

15. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

The point I was making about Dwyer raising money for the homeless and CFFTI, was not “hey, he is a swell guy, therefore you should dig his music”, it was “hey, he isn’t really the self-absorbed, once and future Starbucks/Hollister employee that you perceive him to be.” I don’t particularly care for Radiohead, the Pixies, or Phish, but I’m not going to bag on their appearance or make empty assertions or conjecture about their character or motives just because their music isn’t in my wheelhouse. You say your band is better, and I’ll have to take your word for it. Perhaps your sniping is an outgrowth of some frustration you feel from a lack of success in your own artistic pursuits. The pain felt from the fact that you might never leave your day job (mail-sorter/toothpaste cap inspector/whatever) can sometimes manifest itself in this way. With a little bit of luck, maybe someday someone will wonder how you get a particular tone so much that they post up a live video of your band taken during the warm-up slot for some Cheap Trick tribute act. I would be the first to defend you against any snarky remarks from bitter never-have-beens… only because we are friends.

16. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Could it be all the funny writing and coloring all over his skin???

17. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Hey, thanks for the tip on these other bands. I already like Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall, now I've got some others to check out. Just skimmed through some Lost Sounds, they seem promising. Do you have any others to add to the list?

18. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

I can recommend specific albums:
    Lost Sounds - Rat's Brains and Microchips (favorite cut: Black Coats White Fear)
    Jay Reatard - Blood Visions (favorite cut: Greed Money Useless Children)
    Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand (favorite cut: Short Fuse)
    King Khan and BBQ Show - What's For Dinner? (favorite cut: Too Much In Love)

19. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

All of those are pretty different from thee oh sees. They're awesome bands, but I wouldn't say that they sound all that similar. I'd recommend john's previous bands coach whips and pink and brown. Also, one of thee oh sees biggest hits block of ice is a song originally by a band called intelligence. Check out their song "dating cops".
    On a side note thee oh sees played here on Sunday at a burger records showcase. They now consist of john Dwyer, two drummers and an actual bass player!!
    One of the bands that played with them was called meatbodies. They were great! Like thee oh sees meets thin Lizzy.

Attached Files:

20. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

I agree, they are all different from Thee Oh Sees. Lars Finberg from Intelligence was their second drummer for a while (Carrion Crawler/The Dream era). I saw Chad and the Meatbodies when they opened for Ty Segall in OKC. They played an awesome set that ended with a cover of Supernaut by Black Sabbath... I was hooked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.