How does Petey Dammit (Thee Oh Sees) make his guitar sound like a bass?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mapadofu, May 14, 2014.

1. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

Judging by your moronic, sloppy answer, I doubt you put a lot of thought into what you type before you hit send.

2. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I thought it sounded pretty rocking. Slop is the mayonnaise on the rock n roll sandwich. I'd be willing to bet he's using a low pass filter.

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

or a Digitech whammy.

4. TheHoneyMonster

TheHoneyMonster Tele-Meister

just sounds like a guitar through a bass amp to me. no real trickery (apart from turning the tone down maybe)

5. Daddy Hojo

Here's a snippet from an interview that somebody mentioned earlier:

KH: So do you play bass or guitar?
    PD: Well in Thee Oh Sees I play guitar, I just make it sound like a bass because I'm too cheap to buy an actual bass (laughs).

KH: Do you just plug it into a bass amp and go for it?
    PD: That's pretty much it, yeah. There is one small really secret thing that I do. But it's such a simple easy basic thing that it's almost like a magic trick. Where once you find out how they saw the lady in half you're like, 'Ohhh, I wish I didn't know that!'

KH: Is that something you're willing to give away?
    PD: Not at this time! It really is, like, the thing that's so obvious, that no-one even thinks of it you know?

http://everguide.com.au/music/gigs-and-festivals/interview/petey-dammit--thee-oh-sees.aspx

Based on that, it sounds like he's probably just turned down the tone knob or something.

I'd like to thank this thread for getting me into this band. They have a song on Grand Theft Auto V that I really like, but I hadn't looked into them any further before this thread.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  6. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

No, they're not very good. Lots of energy but not as much as my daughter's soccer team.

The bass sounds like a guitar to me. I think the magic ingredient is playing on the low strings.

7. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Try Dead Moon (or Pierced Arrows) for starters. Those guys suffer for their art and have the most succinct and iconoclastic work ethic going. They make these morons look like the Hollister and Starbucks employees they are destined to return to in due course.

Or, go to the other end of the timescale and pick up the Nuggets series. Also, try ALL of the 13th Floor Elevators albums, including Bull of the Woods. Roky didn't make or break that band, I think most of the members (even the dude with the jug) played their part. Roky Erickson was the freaky Howlin' Wolf impersonator, and visionary lyricist, that held it all together.

Then springboard into the earlier Country Joe and the Fish material. Eventually wind up at Krautrock as a lot of those guys were inspired, in part, by the MC5 and Velvet Underground (who should also be on your list). Then, you have various musical strands that tap into several civil rights movements across multiple continents, representing music that actually captures the zeitgeist of the era quite well. You can pirate all of this stuff now, and form a band that captures the slushier, murkier tones and timbres of that music (think Wooden Shjips or Tame Impala). This takes no effort. Buy an offset Fender (formerly cheap, now over-fetishised by J Mascis worshippers), a few EHX pedals and a tube combo...

However, be aware that any subsequent re-hashing of garage rock will never match the first wave of that music, because you don't have to invent this music out of nothing. All you have to do is find a 'summer psychedelia' playlist on Spotify or something and play pick 'n' mix with the best bits. Easy times. Sing into a delay pedal maaaaaan!

Honestly, the "bass player" in Thee Oh Sees claims he is too cheap to buy a bass? Riiiiiiight. He owns a Jazzmaster? I wonder how much that cost. I doubt he dredged it out of a pawnshop for peanuts like J Mascis did in the early '90s.

One last thought. Why do these hipster types always use really short guitar straps? The only other guys that do that are jazz musicians and technical metal players. They do it to make it easier to play complex stuff. Hipsters NEVER play complex stuff. That entire sub-genre is bereft of talented musicians who actually spend any time honing their craft beyond 'campfire chords' status. So... are they trying to tear up the rule book because 'rawk gods' in the '70s used longer straps? Are they rebelling against a genre that sputtered out in the '80s? Are they full of *****? Are they purposefully channeling a cutesy, nerdy image with a cold, false and calculated attack? Are they living evidence that capitalism is slowly stalling in a post-scarcity first world society? Have we given up trying to create good, new things because the 'war is won' and we don't need to go out and kill our (literal and figurative) lunch each day?

8. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

They're probably paying (ironic) tribute to the New Romantics of the 80's. Those SOBs might as well have been wearing guitar necklaces.

Attached Files:

9. Daddy Hojo

Jazzmasters ain't cheap.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. mapadofu

mapadofu TDPRI Member

Manolete

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm liking some of the psychedelic stuff a bit more than the garagey/punky stuff.

However, I don't really see the correlation between guitar height and hipsterness -- I can think of a few similarily hipsterish current bands (Parquet Courts, The Black Angels), and they don't wear their guitars particularly high. Plus, if you look back, there used to be quite a few high guitar wearers, like the Kinks.

11. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

I'd also suggest red krayola's parable of arable if your looking for thee oh sees type psych. Thee oh sees newer stuff according to them us heavily influenced by Can which points you back to the kraut rock

12. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

The neck on those 2 guitars look identical

13. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

I almost hit the REPORT button on this one...:rolleyes:

cause I wanted to report how awesome this post is. ;)

great job on digging thru those influences. Spot on !!:lol:

14. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

I thought I read somewhere that he just uses heavy gauge strings & tunes down, but don't quote me on that.

I really like Thee Oh Sees, and some of the other newer garage rock acts. I've been getting into a lot of garage rock, from the 60's stuff on up. I don't see what's wrong with playing garage rock in these modern times. There's no need to only listen to the original 60's wave, there have been some pretty good waves since then. So should we only be playing new sounds, creating new genres of music now? Is it now taboo to pay homage to earlier styles of music? If that were the case, then every single one of you had better just give up your instruments right now, because everything you do is derivative of something else.

As far as short straps goes, I wear mine a bit on the shorter side because wearing the guitar down by my knees hurts my left wrist. I've developed a ganglion cyst there. So nice to know that certain people will be in the audience judging me because of my strap length, when they know absolutely nothing about me.

15. Polish John

Polish John TDPRI Member

Not to breathe too much life into a dead thread, BUT...

The way Petey would pull off the bass sound with Thee Oh Sees was a very simple combination of 3 things:

1) playing through a bass amp
    2) using a Boss GEB7 Bass EQ pedal with all the frequencies before 400 dimed and all the rest pretty much at zero
    3) staying exclusively on the low E string

Very simple, but effective for getting a solid low end.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As for hanging the guitars under their chins, I guess that's a fad of "we're trying not to look like a rock god by wearing them all low."

Maybe so but it makes them look stupid rather than edgy.

As for Petey Dammit being too cheap to but a bass, forget the cost of buying a Jazzmaster, how much does an Ampeg full stack cost?
    [​IMG]

And speaking playing guitar through bass amps, here's Sonic Youth back in 1997 with Kim playing guitar through her Bass amps, using a Bass on only one song.

17. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Manolete, your opinions are pretty fierce, however I enjoy your rants and agree with most of your points. Keep on doing what you do.

18. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

You should just like what you like. I like Thee Oh Sees too. Petey isn't playing with them anymore, since they moved to LA. I imagine I would be bitter and snotty too if Warren Haynes were my avatar.

19. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I have Warren Haynes as my avatar as a form of self immolation having previously had a dig at him for ruining a performance of the Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station. I think the words 'corpulent' and 'hack' were used in the same sentence.

Thee Oh Sees appear to be the first band to have guitarists at immediate risk of choking on their own guitars!

[​IMG]

Very thoughtful of you also to take the time and effort to join this forum specifically to notify me of Thee Oh Sees' personel changes, and to try and rip me for my choice of avatar, though. You clearly know how to make optimal use of your waking hours. :cool:

20. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

sounds like lots of other punk bands iv heard.. looks like they are having fun.

chris.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.