How does one shop for a CD player nowadays?

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I have a substantial cd collection, but honestly it largely sits unused.

But home system- economy home theater with a dvd player that I KNOW I didnt pay over $60 for. Works fine for movies or music.

Two of my primary vehicles still have cd players, but yet again, largely unused except on cross country trips (as if!)

Even my tech handicapped wife has been using usb drives.
I have about 3k songs organized on several drives by genre, redbook cd standard bit/sampling rate, and only seem to go to the cd player once in a great while.

My carefully curated collection of cds is now obsolete.

Just the facts.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Imo, this is why I’m doubtful that CDs will have a comeback the way vinyl has.

This is exactly how turntables used to be in the 90s though.
I think CDs won't come back, just because it's a digital storage medium, and not a very efficient one. The only reason I'm still playing and buying CDs is because it's more convenient for me at this time. I could rip existing CDs to FLAC, maintain backup storage, and chase FLAC availability for new purchases, or I can just keep listening to my CD player and buy CDs for pennies on the dollar. It's often the least expensive way to buy music.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
"Alexa, play Muddy Waters".

"Here's some music by Muddy Waters"

Love or hate Bezos, there are millions of songs and albums on Amazon music.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I'm an old fart, so I have a large CD collection. The basic Teac player that I have had for many years is on its last legs, and I am discovering to my dismay that they don't seem to make basic home CD players anymore -- you are either going to get a boom box, or spend $1200 for an audiophile player. I just want the basic unit with a remote that I can plug into my old-school amp and speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
parking lot around the corner?

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
And both links to buy from that article take you to offerings at $799.
Cripes, have I finally found an item of consumer electronics that's much more expensive in the States than in the UK? Will Fender be doing likewise?:lol:

Richer Sounds, my go to for lower end audio. Current ad.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I have my DVD player hooked up to my sound system, but I guess this will not be an option much longer either

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I would have gifted you mine, If you were closer :)
Have you tried pawn shops/craigslist?

Mr Perch

Tele-Afflicted
Amazon. You can find a good one.
I decided to go way out on a limb and try this unit:
yoursign.jpg

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
If you don't have a hi fi shop near you there's always crutchfield. It looks like the least expensive marantz cd player today is $800, but players start at $350.

It looks like nothing is in stock at Crutchfield.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
This is exactly how turntables used to be in the 90s though.
Not in my experience. Turntables in the ‘90s were readily available in a wide price range. They probably weren’t as common in the ‘90s as they were in the ‘80s and earlier, but they were far easier to find than a CD player is today.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
It looks like nothing is in stock at Crutchfield.

That is how it looks. And all the prices just jumped up. There are dates on some of them of when they expect more. If you click the "why", there is a note about global supply chain issues and microchips.
Maybe it's the same reason I'm still waiting on a pedal I bought last fall.

It would seem that people are still buying CD players.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Not in my experience. Turntables in the ‘90s were readily available in a wide price range. They probably weren’t as common in the ‘90s as they were in the ‘80s and earlier, but they were far easier to find than a CD player is today.

Could be, but I don't remember seeing much in big electronics stores. There were plenty of decent used turntables in thrift stores for $40.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Could be, but I don't remember seeing much in big electronics stores. There were plenty of decent used turntables in thrift stores for $40.

It may have varied depending on location. In Atlanta there was a huge DJ scene all through the ‘90s, so there were a lot of inexpensive DJ style turntables on the market in the ‘90s. I remember seeing them at Hi-Fi Buys, Circuit City, Service Merchandise, Guitar Center and Mars Music, maybe Best Buy.

One thing that I think has contributed to the vinyl resurgence, which will work against CDs, is that old turntables are plentiful and easily serviced and CD players are rare and difficult to service.