How does one shop for a CD player nowadays?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was in the same boat, and was astounded at the price of new CD players. $300, $400, $500. Insane. I looked on my local Craigslist and bought one for $50.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Cheap 'home' CD players these days have cheap components. So I bought a Marantz unit from Guitar Center. It's made for live sound/dj use (for playing music between live sets), but it is very familiar in operation. It has CD, USB, and Bluetooth, so it is a great addition to my living room setup, especially since I get all those functions with only one RCA input on my amp/receiver.

This is the one I bought ($205 on sale):

Marantz Professional PMD-526C CD/Media/Bluetooth Player with Remote

Mr Perch

Tele-Afflicted
Yep, decent (i.e. a brand you've heard of) DVD players or older Play Stations.

Either will out-perform your old 'basic' player. Either can be picked up cheap.
I am seeing DVD players with RCA stereo outputs on Amazon for about $35. That's pretty appealing if they sound comparable to my old unit. I do have relatively high-end speakers and I listen almost exclusively to classical music (although I play jazz and R&B professionally.)

PJ55

Poster Extraordinaire
Check eBay from time to time. I have an old Pioneer 25 disc changer and I see multi-disc changers up there all time. Believe it or not, some are still made.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
The Toshiba 3950/60 was a favorite as a cheap platform for modding. It's a DVD player, but works fine for audio. Cheap and plentiful - I paid $4.99 for the last one I picked up.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I was in the same boat, and was astounded at the price of new CD players. $300, $400, $500. Insane. I looked on my local Craigslist and bought one for $50.
That’s always been the starting range for decent CD players. It’s just that there is no market for the dirt cheap bottom end anymore. You can get Blu-ray players to fill that niche.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I still have a 1993 JVC single disc player I bought new for $98, and a 1996 JVC 5-disc carousel I bought new for $119. They're both ancient, and they both still work great. The other two are in my cars, and they both work, but I seldom use them. Today, when I want to play music at home, I usually play mp3's through my computer, or through my Samsung TV, which is hooked up to my stereo.

naneek

Tele-Holic
I'm an old fart, so I have a large CD collection. The basic Teac player that I have had for many years is on its last legs, and I am discovering to my dismay that they don't seem to make basic home CD players anymore -- you are either going to get a boom box, or spend $1200 for an audiophile player. I just want the basic unit with a remote that I can plug into my old-school amp and speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
you can buy a decent quality blu ray player for around $60 and connect it to your receiver through optical audio or rca stereo out.

if your stereo setup isn't near your tv, that's no problem.

a blu ray player won't need to be hooked into a tv. even a 'smart' player with streaming apps are made to be user friendly for old folks. so if you pop the disc in and press play, it will bypass any on-screen menus and simply play the disc.

I have a panasonic same as the flagship player, minus some software I would never use. only $45.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Having a nice amp or speakers is one thing, but life’s too short to start agonizing over THD or s/n ratio or whatever on the average consumer dac or line out amp from a digital playback device. just buy a cheap old Sony and be done with it.

Nah. I don't care about or look at specs on a cd player. Or amp or speakers, for that matter. I like how it sounds, or I don't.

Just before I bought my CD player, I expressed a similar notion that there didn't seem to be a point in anything more than a $100 sony, without buying something crazy expensive. The shop owner convinced me I was wrong, and I bought a $400 marantz single disc that sounded much better than what I was used to, in a way that was immediately noticeable. I'm still using it more than 15 years later with no issues, which is a lot longer than any of the three or four $100 sony players lasted me.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
How about Goodwill? I've also had luck on Craigslist. Got a nice Teac bookshelf Areceiver in champagne on Craigslist!

RLM69

TDPRI Member
Go to thrift stores, Goodwiil, ARC, and your local pawn shops. You should find something for pennies on the dollar.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted

Imo, this is why I’m doubtful that CDs will have a comeback the way vinyl has.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have a Denon 5-disc player in a box somewhere. I also have a video player with a VHS bay. Good thing I didn't chuck 'em ...

There's a place in our town where people donate old and "obsolete" electronica. And there are always the pawnshops.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
In my neighborhood, folks have a "garage sale" when they're getting ready to move to warmer climes. I remember walking my dog seeing a sign advertising such a sale stapled to a telephone pole. I misread it, twice, as GARBAGE SALE. Anyway, if I were looking for a CD player, or a VHS tape player for that matter, that's where I'd look. Shouldn't cost more than $5 and if the price tag reads five, offer two and get it for three.