How does one shop for a CD player nowadays?

Mr Perch

Tele-Afflicted
I'm an old fart, so I have a large CD collection. The basic Teac player that I have had for many years is on its last legs, and I am discovering to my dismay that they don't seem to make basic home CD players anymore -- you are either going to get a boom box, or spend $1200 for an audiophile player. I just want the basic unit with a remote that I can plug into my old-school amp and speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I don't know what's available in your market, but over here we have examples from Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio and Rotel, which if I give an inaccurate £/$ conversion, all come in under $500.
@Imnotarobot beat me to it. DVD players make pretty good CD players too. If you have a Sony Playstation, or PS2, they're superb CD players in their own right. You need to drive the PSOne via the TV, but with the Sony remote, the PS2 covers your needs.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm an old fart, so I have a large CD collection. The basic Teac player that I have had for many years is on its last legs, and I am discovering to my dismay that they don't seem to make basic home CD players anymore -- you are either going to get a boom box, or spend $1200 for an audiophile player. I just want the basic unit with a remote that I can plug into my old-school amp and speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Find a hi fi shop. There are still new CD players made that aren't junk or status symbols, but a hi fi shop should have some used options also.

Marantz always seems to offer a high quality single disc CD player that is affordable and aimed at sound quality first. I bought one in the mid 2000s for $400 that I'm still very happy with.

For my garage system, I've gone the craigslist bottom feeding route. I have had to go through a few players to get one that works, but I'm committed to $20 or less, just because I can. There is so much 80s and 90s stereo stuff on CL dirt cheap.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I just looked on the LA Craigslist | Electronics for both "CD Player" and "DVD Player" and there are quite a few options. Naturally you take your chances buying used. That said, DVD players seemed to be a little cheaper, and more likely to have a remote.

Another option would be to rip all your CDs to your hard drive on your computer, and then get a digital player of some sort. Obviously it will take a little time and you'd want to consider a few things first.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I got one of these Onkyos a few years ago. Looks like you can get a Denon single disk for about $430. Seems fair given inflation and demand.

PXL_20211203_210154316.NIGHT.jpg

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Ugh. Bluetooth.
Does the car unit have an AUX or line-in facility?
Yes, it works but then I have to control the music from my phone.
With bluetooth, I can use the in-car touch screen.
I tried a USB cable but my car didn't connect with the phone. How weird does that sound?
Bring back cassette players!!!

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Could be worse, Ringo Starr is still putting out cassettes. Where the hell do you find one of those players these days?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
If you don't have a hi fi shop near you there's always crutchfield. It looks like the least expensive marantz cd player today is $800, but players start at $350.