How does one overdrive a Twin Reverb???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by McGlamRock, Feb 12, 2016.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I like what Junior Brown does with his silverface Twin Reverbs. If he uses pedals or not I sure don't know ?

You really have to rember that some TRs are just turds.

2. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Back in the "old" days we'd remove the rca jacks from the reverb, taking it out of the circuit...
    then plug it through, like a loop, with a strait rca cable and drive the amp with the reverb circuit, using the reverb tube to drive it,
    and control it with the reverb "intensity"pot
    you can even have it foot switchable ....:eek:

3. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

This whole album was from when Jerry was playing cranked Twins.

4. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I use a pedal for overdrive, because I don't want to wreck my hearing or get a visit from the police.

But Texas Specials run through a '65 Twin reissue cranked above 8 gets me all sorts of amazing harmonics, on the rare occasion when enthusiasm triumphs over judgement.

If I could borrow an airfield, and if I had a guitar cable about a kilometer long, it might be a useable sort of tone.

I'm pretty happy with the Twin running clean, though; that's why I got it.

5. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I've used a lot of Twins, and after a lot pedal experiments to get a nice moderate overdriven, but not insane sound, I settled on a Menatone Red Snapper 3. It seems to work really well with Twins over other pedals I tried.

6. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I suppose you could roll the dice and pull the two outside power tubes but it will still be loud as hell.
    I had mine up to'7' a couple of times. Once to cut a solo and I put it in another room and cranked it. The best time was when I played an outdoor gig in the mountains. We jammed afterward and I leaned my Twin back and put it on 7 and listened to it bounce back to me from the mountains.

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

My old 1970 TR was an amazing amp. But it was still mostly clean at 7. Had EMI Legend 1258 speakers.

IMO, if amp overdrive is what you want, the Twin is the wrong amp. Now, if ample clean headroom AND/or amp overdrive is the goal, get a Super Reverb. Until I did, I'd miss that twin from time to time. Not so much these days.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd venture to say that the Twin and the Screamer have a cause and effect relationship.

9. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Yup, listen to any early Ted Nugent. That's how you overdrive a Twin.

10. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Without a pedal?

Oye... I had a '73 with MV and even with master down, volume pulled out and cranked it sounded like the speaker wires were shorting. Ugly distortion.

I'd say turn the bass all the way down treble 3/4 to halfway and crank the volume. Good luck and I hope your health insurance covers hearing aids.

11. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

You've never heard Joe Young's guitar from AntiSeen? It's one of the gnarliest sounds you'll ever hear. The very early recordings are a Hiwatt Bulldog 100 but after that, for at least 20 years it was the same Twin and 1968 /69/70 Telecaster. Johnny Thunders would have run and hid

Spaceboy likes this.
  12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

From a safe distance?

A pedal of some sort is certainly the way forwards...

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Short answer..you don't. And if you tried, it would be too loud, and the tone would $uck. Twins not made for this. You either adapt and enjoy the sweet cleans, or use a dirt pedal. I always keep a single spare cheap dirt pedal in my guitar case for such an occasion.

14. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

As you know by now, you were pretty much beat once you forgot your pedalboard.

As far as when I played a Twin my best results were with a Barber 1/2 Gainer. I recently sold all of my other drives to help fund the Mesa I just bought but didn't think twice about selling the 1/2 Gainer, or my Twin. As long as I have one I'll have the other. It's just the most natural amp like pedal I've ever heard. Not a huge amount of gain, but stacked with a TS mini gets as dirty as I need. I've never played a Klon or heard one live, pretty sure I've never even commented on a thread about them. But I did briefly own a Soul Food and I've heard other Klones and to me the 1/2 Gainer does that job so much better... and it's not even close.

15. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Speakers that aren't too bright and which break up earlier than the stock units. Eminence Cannabis Rex, maybe? Then again, that tends to fly in the face of buying a Twin in the first place.

16. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

That's cool!!

17. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You pull two tubes and crank it.

18. luckett

luckett Banned

Remove one of the speakers and put a champ inside the cabinet.

artdecade and Ira7 like this.
  19. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

With some PAF's?

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I generally pull V1, change the driver to a 12ax7, and disconnect the neg feedback wire from the output jack.
    This cancels a lot of Leos clean contract, but softer power tubes and speakers help as well.
    Not that it really gets that much more, but putting the neg feedback on a pot really shows how much it opens up the throttle when you twist it on 10.

What's up with all this OMG a Twin is so loud stuff?
    Maybe I'm realllly hard of hearing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.