How does one cure impulsiveness?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Don’t mKe any more tube preamp pedals? Or Fuzz. Or warbly delays. Or Overdrives. Or reverbs. Or any pedal with cool art.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I have friends that are extremely impulsive and I have friends that are far from impulsive.

My buddy Frank is crazy about making impulsive purchases. He bought an air compressor, that he didn’t need, because it was on sale at 18% off. His rationale was the 18% off sale. The fact that he has two other compressors (both are comparable with the new one) was not important.

My neighbor, Jim, is just the opposite. He needs a new cistern pump and pressure tank and has been putting off the purchase because the old system is moderately working.

I‘m sort of in the middle but I’ll sometimes over research something before I buy. It drives Jackie crazy but it’s the way I am.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
Other than general stuff (screwdrivers, hammers, ratchet sets) I buy them if I need them for a specific job.
For instance, I just bought a vertical plumbers wrench because I have to install a new faucet in my kitchen sink. I’ve done this before without one and it’s a pain in the neck. Six bucks at HarborFreight.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
About tools. I taught my wife almost from the start to always buy me tools for Christmas. For the 48 years we had, she pretty much stuck to that and of course the occasional surprise guitar of guitar related stuff. I have a lot of tools, some stuff I didn't even know were available. She was not an impulse buyer, but she didn't fool around at Christmas time.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Probably a foolish question. But I’ve recently noticed I have a bad habit of getting into something, while jumping head first into the deep end lol. I’ve played with pedals a bit in the past. I’ve had a few boards. But just recently said hey! Let me sell what I have and build a legit board and get to know it fully. Needless to say. I didn’t pace myself. I didn’t collect over time. I just went and got what I wanted. Most being 150-200 a piece. I build guitars here and there. Parts teles. But I can’t just pick up pieces as I go. I have to have it all then and there haha.

Anyway. I really noticed it moving into our house. I had a few tools (hammer, couple screwdrivers and pliers.) mainly for guitar stuff. And the few odds and ends. We lived in an apartment. Didn’t need much. That’s why I pay for maintenance right? Well my dad helped us move out. He asked for a channel lock plier, “I um.. don’t have one.” The look he gave me haha.

Anyway. Moved into our house May 1st. I as of now have most tools I’d need (minus the specialty stuff) and a recent restraining order from lowes, put in place by my wife 🤣. Unless she’s with me. Now we have the money per say. We both do very well with our jobs and she’s definitely CFO (I think I saw this from @Jakedog. “Chief financial officer”). Anyway. So I don’t ever put us in a bind. But know it would be better to build up. Rather than spree it all.

But on the bright side. I like my setup 🤣
to cure impulsiveness?

poverty, and children

but I repeat myself

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
I gave my debit and credit cards to my wife. I now have time to consider a purchase before I ask her for my cards. So far it's worked no gear purchase in nearly a year, although I still buy art equipment.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I would imagine, for the truly impulsive person, it would be to wake up one day and quit (whatever you’re being impulsive about) cold turkey.