How does one cure impulsiveness?

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have found two methods to handle those impulsive buys. First, when I was single transactions were cash only. I carried a limited amount of cash so this required a trip to the bank machine to get more. During this delay I had time to think about taking out money and balance logic and impulse, it worked pretty well.
The second method, now that I’m married my wife watches every penny like a hawk.
She doesn’t forbid me to buy but does ask if it’s really something I need. There again, a time for logic and impulse to balance.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's how to cure it: Consider whether you want to "enjoy" life as you're doing now, buying lots of things, or if you'd like to forego some of that for the moment and have some financial security as you grow older.

Take at least 10% of your income away from yourself before it hits your checking account, so you can't spend it. Put it somewhere it would cost you to take out (IRA, 401k, etc), and don't buy stuff on credit if you can help it. Just mho

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I still smoke. But dear god. Quitting chewing tobacco was the hardest thing I think I’ve ever done.
Off your original topic, but trust me......just wait until you taste your first bite of your (I'm sure) wonderful BBQ AFTER you quit smoking, and can actually taste it. It will be glorious! ;)

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yes, that works well for me. My kids call it my "deep dives" they say they inherited. I delay gratification really looking into what I might buy. Lots of times that ends up being nothing or a lower cost situation.

@Midgetje94 another thing I do is look at finances. My wife and I make sure we can live a good while without working. Everyone needs to do that. We've had the sorts of unfortunate shocks that tell you why and wish that on no one. We've had $ 10s of thousands out of pocket medical expenses that can happen to most people in my country. You have to pay that or you life will suck.
I'm on month 14 looking at my next vehicle project. it is coming, just not this minute.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
We have a cheap (unbranded I think) electric drill. I’ve been looking at craftsman drills. “Well this cheap one I’ve had for like 7 years. It’s gonna give out sometime.” Lol. Why spend $170 (I want the two battery pack) now? When I can just wait till it either goes on sale, or the current one kicks it?

But luckily I’m still in the Partscaster phase. Don’t have to drill a whole lot. I’m more of a painting kinda guy. So I like bodies that are pre drilled. But have a feeling one day I’d like to build one from scratch. Time and tools permitting.
For power tools, try to hold out for back Friday after Thanksgiving. Both Lowe's and Home Depot run great specials for the major power tool brands, often giving you an extra battery or a free bare tool with the purchase of certain tools. I stash money beginning in the summer just to take advantage of the black Friday deals.

Also, with power tools, do some research and decide on a brand. The batteries from each manufacturer are proprietary and will not fit tools from a different manufacturer. So choose your brand carefully, then gradually build your power tool collection. Getting those free extra batteries on black Friday really improves your collection.

TeleT97

TDPRI Member
For me, curbing the impulse means knowing the feeling that surrounds “Impulse”. If I get to “Man, think of all the stuff I could make if I had this.” ($99 and up thing), I put it down, walk to the bolt and screw or masking tape area in the building center, and buy a pack of screws or tape. I used to buy clamps (because you can never have too many) but they’ve gotten pretty expensive lately.
Also, I’ll look something up online and put it in my cart and then not complete the transaction. Can’t tell you how many times I go back a week later and delete the stuff in my cart that I didn’t need
Yeah I'll second the put it in the cart and then leave it thing. Hitting that little add to cart button gives you that dopamine hit the impulsive brain wants so bad. Along with that I try to leave my wallet in the other room while online shopping to create a barrier once I have stuff in the cart, by the time I get around to it either the impulsivity (for that thing at least) has passed or its something that I can go through with the purchase more rationally.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
I have a similar tool chest setup. After years of being frustrated with stuff spread all over the place and not being able to find what I needed I finally found some steel stackable chests that take up a lot less space than what I had been doing previously. I still have power tools in other place but it is hella easy for me to find all of my hand tools. Also keeps my from buying duplicates.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I mean I probably spent close to $400 the last couple weeks on tools lol. But I’m pretty much done. Not to sound morbid. But my father in law was a mechanic for Honda for YEARS before his stroke. He’s made it clear to everyone that I’ll get his tools when that time comes (although I hope it’s still many years). So a armory of Snap on and American made craftsman tools.

So my plan was to just get the basics for household things. But then “oh, I need this!” And “this would be useful!”

I’m actually mildly autistic, with mild Asperger’s. I know that’s part of the impulsive mentality. But I’m also not one to sit and blame it. I’m very controlling in the sense I have to have everything and in its own place. But disorder or not. There’s gotta be a trick to curbing it lol

I was worried I would open a can of worms with the tools thing. I didn't want to offend anyone. Which is why I edited it out. But it looks like I was too slow and it snuck into the quote. I'm actually diagnosed with the same thing. And was thinking the other day while watching lectures on Stoicism on Wondrium that maybe these Stoics had it as well. Using reason for dealing with social situations is right up my alley.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm on month 14 looking at my next vehicle project. it is coming, just not this minute.
My old hot rod sits because I refused to stop funding retirement during the period when I didn’t have as much discretionary income. That’s changed lately, but I’m in no hurry. When I get ready, it’ll be there with a pile of cash ready to throw at the whole shebang.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Tools are a rabbit hole. I had a huge collection I built from about the time I was fifteen years old to about the time I was 40. Much of it was stuff that had belonged to my dad, or stuff he’d given me as gifts when I was young.

It was all stolen when my garage was burglarized while we were living out in Denver. Every last piece. I’ve slowly built back up since then. But only what I exactly need, when I need it. If something comes up that I need a tool for, I go get that tool. That’s as far as I’ll take it.

Truthfully though, I don’t really work on stuff. I’m not handy and I have no desire to be. At all. I hate broken stuff, and I hate fixing it more. I grew up in a situation where money was scarce, and everything was crappy/cobbled together. Cars were always garbage, so you either learned to wrench, or you walked. It didn’t teach me to be thrifty, or resourceful, it forced me to be. I hated it. I always said that when I grew up I wasn’t fixing screwed up stuff anymore.

It was a huge day for me when I reached a point that I could pay a mechanic to fix my car and not mess with it myself. It was a huger day when I reached a point that when I’d had enough of the car misbehaving, I just went and bought a new one.

Now I have a guy for everything. I’ve got an army of guys. Plumbing? I’ve got a guy. Electric? I’ve got a guy. Carpentry? Drywall? Fence? Paint? I’ve got a guy for all that stuff. And I pay them happily, so that I can spend MY time doing things I actually enjoy.

I get no sense of satisfaction whatsoever from doing work myself. All I get is pissed off.

The only things I work on myself are my guitars. That’s only because I have to have them in tip top shape or they drive me nuts, and I have never found anyone besides myself who can handle them as well as I do. If I found a guy for that, he’d be getting my business.

Moral of the story- I don’t have many tools. Just what I really need. Now gear? Y’all just mind your own business. Lol.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I was worried I would open a can of worms with the tools thing. I didn't want to offend anyone. Which is why I edited it out. But it looks like I was too slow and it snuck into the quote. I'm actually diagnosed with the same thing. And was thinking the other day while watching lectures on Stoicism on Wondrium that maybe these Stoics had it as well. Using reason for dealing with social situations is right up my alley.

...and I actually didn't even look at the tool pics before I posted. I was just trying to make the point that drawing some boundaries/ guidelines/ rules based on a virtuous principle is the type of thing a Stoic might do. And this kind of thing might help with impulsivity.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Tools are a rabbit hole. I had a huge collection I built from about the time I was fifteen years old to about the time I was 40. Much of it was stuff that had belonged to my dad, or stuff he’d given me as gifts when I was young.

It was all stolen when my garage was burglarized while we were living out in Denver. Every last piece. I’ve slowly built back up since then. But only what I exactly need, when I need it. If something comes up that I need a tool for, I go get that tool. That’s as far as I’ll take it.

Truthfully though, I don’t really work on stuff. I’m not handy and I have no desire to be. At all. I hate broken stuff, and I hate fixing it more. I grew up in a situation where money was scarce, and everything was crappy/cobbled together. Cars were always garbage, so you either learned to wrench, or you walked. It didn’t teach me to be thrifty, or resourceful, it forced me to be. I hated it. I always said that when I grew up I wasn’t fixing screwed up stuff anymore.

It was a huge day for me when I reached a point that I could pay a mechanic to fix my car and not mess with it myself. It was a huger day when I reached a point that when I’d had enough of the car misbehaving, I just went and bought a new one.

Now I have a guy for everything. I’ve got an army of guys. Plumbing? I’ve got a guy. Electric? I’ve got a guy. Carpentry? Drywall? Fence? Paint? I’ve got a guy for all that stuff. And I pay them happily, so that I can spend MY time doing things I actually enjoy.

I get no sense of satisfaction whatsoever from doing work myself. All I get is pissed off.

The only things I work on myself are my guitars. That’s only because I have to have them in tip top shape or they drive me nuts, and I have never found anyone besides myself who can handle them as well as I do. If I found a guy for that, he’d be getting my business.

Moral of the story- I don’t have many tools. Just what I really need. Now gear? Y’all just mind your own business. Lol.
Yikes!
Sorry you got ripped off.
Though I have nice “tools”, I don’t get too attached to things.
I’ve lost stuff I have accumulated for years to divorce.
I decided that stuff (gear, tools, houses, etc.) is not worth losing sleep over.
Somehow, my father’s violin disappeared from my bedroom.
I haven’t got a clue what became of it.
I have a very vague suspicion, but I won’t act on it.
It’s the only thing that ever “evaporated “ from my house.
Anyways, the world is full of stuff.
I don’t let the stuff own me.