How does one cure impulsiveness?

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Probably a foolish question. But I’ve recently noticed I have a bad habit of getting into something, while jumping head first into the deep end lol. I’ve played with pedals a bit in the past. I’ve had a few boards. But just recently said hey! Let me sell what I have and build a legit board and get to know it fully. Needless to say. I didn’t pace myself. I didn’t collect over time. I just went and got what I wanted. Most being 150-200 a piece. I build guitars here and there. Parts teles. But I can’t just pick up pieces as I go. I have to have it all then and there haha.

Anyway. I really noticed it moving into our house. I had a few tools (hammer, couple screwdrivers and pliers.) mainly for guitar stuff. And the few odds and ends. We lived in an apartment. Didn’t need much. That’s why I pay for maintenance right? Well my dad helped us move out. He asked for a channel lock plier, “I um.. don’t have one.” The look he gave me haha.

Anyway. Moved into our house May 1st. I as of now have most tools I’d need (minus the specialty stuff) and a recent restraining order from lowes, put in place by my wife 🤣. Unless she’s with me. Now we have the money per say. We both do very well with our jobs and she’s definitely CFO (I think I saw this from @Jakedog. “Chief financial officer”). Anyway. So I don’t ever put us in a bind. But know it would be better to build up. Rather than spree it all.

But on the bright side. I like my setup 🤣

Attachments

• 379B968A-280B-4634-A28C-C556B8CF4967.jpeg
    379B968A-280B-4634-A28C-C556B8CF4967.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 43
  • ECE2BD33-14DD-4ABA-A4D7-4690079AC567.jpeg
    ECE2BD33-14DD-4ABA-A4D7-4690079AC567.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 505576A1-F2FD-4D0F-80A2-2AD2155EA528.jpeg
    505576A1-F2FD-4D0F-80A2-2AD2155EA528.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 46ADB6B7-06DB-4073-9D83-CA41E9993D84.jpeg
    46ADB6B7-06DB-4073-9D83-CA41E9993D84.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 85D00E67-2B63-4763-98BD-EF953B5740B1.jpeg
    85D00E67-2B63-4763-98BD-EF953B5740B1.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 40
  • 009466D7-6893-4D2B-9322-6A03909C9389.jpeg
    009466D7-6893-4D2B-9322-6A03909C9389.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 35
  • 206CC924-EAB9-4168-8186-B4C9D8F028FA.jpeg
    206CC924-EAB9-4168-8186-B4C9D8F028FA.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 77D16A68-C4DF-41FB-8C59-4E6076567461.jpeg
    77D16A68-C4DF-41FB-8C59-4E6076567461.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 48D9D2B8-39B0-4092-9241-D6401F35A1D5.jpeg
    48D9D2B8-39B0-4092-9241-D6401F35A1D5.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 42

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Study the wisdom of the ancient Stoics, and set high standards like only using tools made in The USA, Japan, or Germany.

I mean I probably spent close to $400 the last couple weeks on tools lol. But I’m pretty much done. Not to sound morbid. But my father in law was a mechanic for Honda for YEARS before his stroke. He’s made it clear to everyone that I’ll get his tools when that time comes (although I hope it’s still many years). So a armory of Snap on and American made craftsman tools.

So my plan was to just get the basics for household things. But then “oh, I need this!” And “this would be useful!”

I’m actually mildly autistic, with mild Asperger’s. I know that’s part of the impulsive mentality. But I’m also not one to sit and blame it. I’m very controlling in the sense I have to have everything and in its own place. But disorder or not. There’s gotta be a trick to curbing it lol

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Like the sockets. House work. 3/8 set would be perfect. 99% of what I’d need. But nooooo Jonathan can’t get the $50 3/8 set at harbor freight, it has the same lifetime warranty. I wanted the $200 kit from lowes that had 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets. And all the other stuff with that set. (Wrenches, multi bit screwdriver, Allen wrenches)

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Like the sockets. House work. 3/8 set would be perfect. 99% of what I’d need. But nooooo Jonathan can’t get the $50 3/8 set at harbor freight, it has the same lifetime warranty. I wanted the $200 kit from lowes that had 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets. And all the other stuff with that set. (Wrenches, multi bit screwdriver, Allen wrenches)
As a homeowner, you pretty much need the basic stuff. It’s right up there with silverware, dishes and towels.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
As a homeowner, you pretty much need the basic stuff. It’s right up there with silverware, dishes and towels.

Well I already had the screwdrivers, Allen wrenches. Even the wrenches from working with guitars. I could have just gotten the select stuff I needed. But “ooh shiny complete set”.

Anyway. Wife’s not mad. She laughed and said I was cut off. I like the setup. I’m happy with it. It’s just the thing that made me go “hmm. This happens a lot.. why do I do this?”

Like my pedal board. Couldn’t even get a pedal a check. Had to get it all within a week.

Attachments

• 69144C05-1CB7-46E3-B612-A27E719734C6.jpeg
    69144C05-1CB7-46E3-B612-A27E719734C6.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 23

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Probably a foolish question. But I’ve recently noticed I have a bad habit of getting into something, while jumping head first into the deep end lol. I’ve played with pedals a bit in the past. I’ve had a few boards. But just recently said hey! Let me sell what I have and build a legit board and get to know it fully. Needless to say. I didn’t pace myself. I didn’t collect over time. I just went and got what I wanted. Most being 150-200 a piece. I build guitars here and there. Parts teles. But I can’t just pick up pieces as I go. I have to have it all then and there haha.

Anyway. I really noticed it moving into our house. I had a few tools (hammer, couple screwdrivers and pliers.) mainly for guitar stuff. And the few odds and ends. We lived in an apartment. Didn’t need much. That’s why I pay for maintenance right? Well my dad helped us move out. He asked for a channel lock plier, “I um.. don’t have one.” The look he gave me haha.

Anyway. Moved into our house May 1st. I as of now have most tools I’d need (minus the specialty stuff) and a recent restraining order from lowes, put in place by my wife 🤣. Unless she’s with me. Now we have the money per say. We both do very well with our jobs and she’s definitely CFO (I think I saw this from @Jakedog. “Chief financial officer”). Anyway. So I don’t ever put us in a bind. But know it would be better to build up. Rather than spree it all.

But on the bright side. I like my setup 🤣
You will accumulate tools over time, usually as their needs occur. You WILL eventually need (want) a VS drill, a Skill Saw, a bench grinder, a Multi-tool, etc.....then add a table saw, router, bench vise, drill press, belt sander.....the list is almost endless. Tools for "guitar stuff" and "house stuff" have some overlap, but not a lot. Unless routing for pickups, or drilling for tuners, you rarely use power tools on a guitar.....you just don't have the control necessary. Harbor Freight is your friend......yes, often they're not the finest quality, but they're VERY good for occasional home use. When I first moved out on my own, I, too, had only a few hand tools to my name. My first Christmas away, my dad gave me a small electric drill and a small jigsaw. (saber saw) That was over fifty years ago. I occasionally pick up stuff for my grandson....I have a chop saw waiting for him as I speak. I'm not sure you can ever have TOO many tools. ;)
Good luck.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
You will accumulate tools over time, usually as their needs occur. You WILL eventually need (want) a VS drill, a Skill Saw, a bench grinder, a Multi-tool, etc.....then add a table saw, router, bench vise, drill press, belt sander.....the list is almost endless. Tools for "guitar stuff" and "house stuff" have some overlap, but not a lot. Unless routing for pickups, or drilling for tuners, you rarely use power tools on a guitar.....you just don't have the control necessary. Harbor Freight is your friend......yes, often they're not the finest quality, but they're VERY good for occasional home use. When I first moved out on my own, I, too, had only a few hand tools to my name. My first Christmas away, my dad gave me a small electric drill and a small jigsaw. (saber saw) That was over fifty years ago. I occasionally pick up stuff for my grandson....I have a chop saw waiting for him as I speak. I'm not sure you can ever have TOO many tools. ;)
Good luck.

We have a cheap (unbranded I think) electric drill. I’ve been looking at craftsman drills. “Well this cheap one I’ve had for like 7 years. It’s gonna give out sometime.” Lol. Why spend $170 (I want the two battery pack) now? When I can just wait till it either goes on sale, or the current one kicks it?

But luckily I’m still in the Partscaster phase. Don’t have to drill a whole lot. I’m more of a painting kinda guy. So I like bodies that are pre drilled. But have a feeling one day I’d like to build one from scratch. Time and tools permitting.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Well I already had the screwdrivers, Allen wrenches. Even the wrenches from working with guitars. I could have just gotten the select stuff I needed. But “ooh shiny complete set”
For me, curbing the impulse means knowing the feeling that surrounds “Impulse”. If I get to “Man, think of all the stuff I could make if I had this.” ($99 and up thing), I put it down, walk to the bolt and screw or masking tape area in the building center, and buy a pack of screws or tape. I used to buy clamps (because you can never have too many) but they’ve gotten pretty expensive lately.
Also, I’ll look something up online and put it in my cart and then not complete the transaction. Can’t tell you how many times I go back a week later and delete the stuff in my cart that I didn’t need

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Have you tried poverty?

Thankfully I have not. I get it’s a very real thing and not looking down or boasting my situation. But I grew up with expensive toys. Guns, guitars, tattoos. Work hard play hard mentality. Starting out obviously I didn’t have/ couldn’t afford stuff I wanted. I’ve worked 3 jobs at one point to afford what I wanted, even at the expense of not having time to play lol. I’ve built a name and reputation for myself in the culinary field here. That thankfully employers know my worth.

I’ve been able to walk out of interviews due to pay, to getting called back in the next few days.

I am the Pitmaster (smoking bbq) at my job now. My owner acknowledges the skill and work, and experience it takes. And I make very good money for what I do. My wife is a waitress at one of the busiest restaurants in our area (Texoma area). She works doubles everyday they are open except Wednesday. So we are both very grounded in our job fields.

Sorry. Tried to answer that appropriately. And not to sound cocky.

Last edited:

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
A good wrench set, hammer, several screw drivers, and some pliers, and a drill will get just about everything done in a house. I don't think I've paid for any of my tools except for guutar related ones. The rest are either on permanent loan from my old man or were gifts/abandoned by roomates/family/friends etc.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Have you tried poverty?

Lack of funds certainly help... in most cases I've not had much choice but to accumulate as I've gone on. Which I'm kind of glad about to be honest or the house would be top to bottom filled with my junk.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Seems this is the old "Need vs. Want" debacle. If a situation arises and I actually NEED something to do my job or keep my home from burning down, then I don't hesitate. However, if there's "gray area" and I can't really JUSTIFY getting something immediately, I sleep on it. Then if it's STILL not 100% "go," I wait a while to see if it surfaces again on its own.

That said, all bets are off if the object in question CALLS to me ... like when I strummed 3 chords on the Guild D40 and KNEW I had to have it. Turned out to be a fantastic idea - got a great price and it's a magnificent instrument. Did I need it? That's debatable. But there's no WAY I could have "slept on it." So, as my Mom always said, "circumstances alter cases." There are hard and fast rules that cover 99% of the situations, but every once in a blue moon, something really special comes along.

However, if you're just buying everything you see - then y'all need to cool yer jets before you go banko. Just sayin' ...

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I would also suggest that impulsivity need not necessarily be cured. Curbing it when it acts up may be easier.
I was able to quit smoking that way. All I had to do was resist the urge to buy a pack of smokes when the opportunity to buy them came up. And no “Bumming” a smoke, either. (You know you’ve hit rock bottom when you end up bumming a “100” from a 50 year old woman with a voice deeper than your own.)

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I would also suggest that impulsivity need not necessarily be cured. Curbing it when it acts up may be easier.
I was able to quit smoking that way. All I had to do was resist the urge to buy a pack of smokes when the opportunity to buy them came up. And no “Bumming” a smoke, either.

I still smoke. But dear god. Quitting chewing tobacco was the hardest thing I think I’ve ever done.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
wait time. when you have an impulse, nod at it and say, 'lets wait two weeks on that'. in two weeks, you'll realize that it is excessive and you may not need it.

Craigslist has awesome deals on stuff that guys buy like you are describing.
Yes, that works well for me. My kids call it my "deep dives" they say they inherited. I delay gratification really looking into what I might buy. Lots of times that ends up being nothing or a lower cost situation.

@Midgetje94 another thing I do is look at finances. My wife and I make sure we can live a good while without working. Everyone needs to do that. We've had the sorts of unfortunate shocks that tell you why and wish that on no one. We've had $ 10s of thousands out of pocket medical expenses that can happen to most people in my country. You have to pay that or you life will suck.