How does one “thin the herd” of Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DADGAD, Jun 21, 2021.

1. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Set your house on fire. Wait ten minutes then hit your guitar room; whatever you can carry out you can keep.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The first cut is ano-brainer: the ones you no longer play. There’s a reason for that.
    The second cut is more hands on. Keep the ones that feel “right”.
    Forget about nostalgia, sentiment etc. I kept a guitar too long because it looked so good and because it had some nostalgic value.
    I finally sold it and don’t miss it.

3. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

That IS obscene! WTF? Give us a chance to catch up!!!!

Archtops and Censport like this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

This actually kind of happened to me once . . .

scottser likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Do you really not have ones you like better than others? If you really like all of them equally then it should be easy to let some go, since it won't matter much. I would approach it by seeing which ones are most similar, then get rid of the ones that are closest to being duplicates. If they are really really similar, then it's just a gut feeling.

timbraun and DADGAD like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I picked one for sentimental value, I have it because it’s from a builder I’ve long respected. He was the first boutique luthier I contacted when I scraped together money as a late teen to get myself something nice, and over the years bought quite a few of his guitars. He retired from building in the last year or two.

It does play great and sound fantastic, but I wouldn’t say it’s exactly to my preferences. Even so, it’s meaningful to me, and I’m pretty much a one-guitar guy.

Archtops likes this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Thinning the herd .

upload_2021-6-22_8-59-12.jpeg

8. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I sometimes think my 5 are too many.

-My Player Tele might get the most money, but it is the most comfortable and secure player, and my go-to.
    -My StewMac build is never leaving. It’s a big deal to me.
    -I have a partscaster I bought cheap, but it is adjusted perfectly and is the best bet for a generic backup. And it looks cool.
    -My Squier Paranormal Cabronita Thinline might be the first to go, but I like its feel and it plays well, and it has different pickups.
    -And my Logan Custom Tele has great pickups and the coolest sculpted body...might take over as my number one.

So just forget about it. Anybody wanna buy a Strat?

EDB4DC6E-F8A7-42FE-B8A7-80235A85E82D.jpeg 2885EF1C-10A8-4107-AF56-D7AB724B010C.jpeg

Blackmore Fan and tery like this.
  9. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Well I did it a couple of years ago. Now have 2 guitars and 2 bass'. Do I miss the ones I sold? Nah, don't even remember what they were.

Blackmore Fan and DADGAD like this.
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

This^^worked for me;).

teletail likes this.
  11. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I have an outstanding set of Tele pickups that are sitting in a box, so obviously I need another Tele :)

12. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

71D287B8-5746-46AE-8302-EC24D6DD2F71.jpeg

jim777 and DADGAD like this.
  13. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard Tele-Meister

Feel is number 1 to me. Then tone. I dont care how good it sounds, if it doesnt feel good in your hand(s) then why bother?
    Last is weight..sort of....well not really, at least not me.. if it feels and sounds amazing but is a boat anchor....oh well.....
    go onto the next one....i might be easier to find the one you want to keep, rather than the one you want to get rid of. I'm sure there are one or two that you always grab first...

Blackmore Fan, Jowes_84 and DADGAD like this.
  14. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I went through this with gear last year. Cleared out a whole lot of stuff that was objectively amazing gear (including a 1960 Super Amp), but the question was, is it a amazing for me? Go through your Teles and ask yourself, "does this spark joy?" Its become a meme, I know, but the Marie Kondo method is surprisingly effective. Put aside specs, quality, or other cerebral attributes you think you should have ("well I need to have one with 7.25" radius, and this one has a 9.5" radius, and I need to have one with a humbucker in the neck"). Just hold each one in your hands. Play it for a bit. Ask yourself why you have it. Would you ever reach for this one? If the answer is no, then sell it. I had some guitars that were unique or desirable because X or Y or Z. But in the end, was I going to play them? No. Did I enjoy playing them all? Not really. Did they do anything that the other guitars I DO reach for don't? No.

I know it's easy to fall into the trap of holding onto gear "because it's a great piece!" But honestly, there's a million great guitars out there. You could pick up 10 Telecasters next week and they'd all be as good or better than the ones you have. So why hold onto them all?

Archtops, timbraun, jim777 and 2 others like this.
  15. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

how do I... thin the herd? Of Telecasters?
    Uh... I gotta think it over
    [​IMG]

SkinnyAss, jim777 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I know it's the wrong forum to say it on, but I figured that I only really need one of each type of guitar/pickup, if that. I got rid of a Classic 50s Tele I'd modified and put a neck humbucker on as I found I prefered my other humbucker guitars for when I want that sound. I polished it up, put the original pickups back in and sold it.

That left me with a partscaster Esquire and another Classic 50s Tele (a white blonde 'lacquer' model). I ended up putting a neck pickup in the partscaster (the bridge still sounds the same to me as when it was an Esquire), so the other C50 will go for sale soon too: I don't see the point in having two guitars with similar set ups and the partscaster suits me better (and is worth less than it cost to build of course).

The C50 seems to have gone up in price, so for once I might get more back than I spent as I bought it used about 4 years ago. I polished it up and put it away a few months ago and haven't felt the desire to get it out of the case and play it since.

I'm selling a Gretsch that I love the looks of, but don't like playing, plus I decided that my Les Paul Junior sounds pretty much the same as an older Les Paul with P90s when I just use the bridge pick up, so the Junior will get sold: I love the feel of it, but I can't tell the two apart on recordings I made, so no way will the audience...

I still think I have too many guitars, but 2 I've owned for a very long time and were birthday presents, so I'd keep them for sentimental reasons. However, if they were taken and I had to start again I think I'd just buy 4 really good guitars: Tele, Strat, Les Paul and something with P90s.

In short: Just play them and see if you really feel you can't let them go. Then if you think you can, polish them up ready to sell and set them aside for a month or two...if you don't miss them, then put them up for sale.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Line them all up in a row,
    put a blindfold on... turn around a couple times and have someone in your family kind of direct you in the direction of them

and throw a dart at it.
    You can thin starting with that one.

moosie likes this.
  18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You need at least ten Telecasters. If you don't have ten buy some more. Once you have at least ten it shouldn't be hard to identify the low man on the totem pole. Sell it unless you need one at work. If that brings you below ten buy another one.

Don't say we didn't warn you when you started with Telecasters. And if we didn't we should have.

jim777 likes this.
  19. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd be glad to send you a shipping address. Problem solved.

Tjeppen likes this.
  20. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

It's one thing to get rid of something you're not attached to.
    It's something else to have to sell something.
    But selling a Tele just to sell it for no obvious reason ... does not compute, sorry!

TelEBaby123 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.