1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do You Use Your Tone Knobs?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gitapik, Oct 20, 2018.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Very cool. I'm going to give this a shot.

Isn't this kind of specific to the venue, Bill? I can see this if I'm playing a metal gig in Satan's Den, but is it really necessary if I'm doing a church service gig?

2. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I have tone control on all three pickups. They may change all the time within a song as does the pickups. Also depends on the amp, stage volume, and location. Generally never above 7-8.

3. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Them dudes are crafty, you never know when one might pop up.

gitapik likes this.
  4. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

You can have that easily. Just replace the bottom tone with a no load pot. When turned all the way up, the the pot and cap are bypassed just like you would have with a switch. You don't have to add an extra part; just crank the bridge tone knob.

S Mac

awasson likes this.
  5. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

righty tighty, lefty loosey

6. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    With my fingers and ears...I did a jumper wire, on my Strat, so the neck tone pot works for the bridge as well...not a fan of wide open bridge pickups unless absolutely necessary

7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Often I do the old school trick of slightly rolling back the tone just a hair when using the bridge pickup... first heard of this from Amos Garrett in a Homespun Rock n Roll Rhythm video.
    Vince G. mentions it too in this vid @ 22:30.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I usually have the tone knob fully on and roll it back 50% for some jazzier tone, that's all. I thought about taking it off completely, but we do have a couple of jazz tunes where I need a more.....muffled... tone.
    I use the volume knob a lot more.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

How do You Use Your Tone Knobs?

I mostly just use 'em to help hold the pickguard on.

10. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

I don't bother with tone knobs - they're worthless in my opinion. I never need them on a Strat. A Tele? That depends on whether or not if it's a true 50s' Tele, or modern replica. How harsh the bridge pickup is will decide that option for me, but otherwise all my guitars have it turned all the way up to ten.

11. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an American Professional HSS so the tone knobs are a little different. I keep the bridge tone knob on 1-2 and use that with fuzz, and keep the other one for the other pickups on 8-9

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

On my Strat, I start with the tone knobs at 5 for any pickup used alone. I typically set both to 10 for combinations of pickups. I sometimes roll the bridge tone down when I use the bridge and neck. I start with the volume at 8 and work from there. I never dime the tone on my Telecaster. My starting point is for volume is rolled back a little so I have room for swells. My Annie has a mud switch that I set to the middle position. I use the individual volume controls as tone controls usually turning them down just a little. On my SG, I usually use the pickups together with volume between 4 and 6. Tone starts at 5. I may raise it to 10 for the pickup with the volume at 6 for additional brightness. Four very different guitars with four different ways of using the volume and tone controls. I can’t imagine not having that range of adjustment.

13. william tel

william tel TDPRI Member

I do the same. This gives you the freedom to use one tone pot per pickup for maximum adjustment in positions 2 and 4 as opposed to wiring the bridge to the middle which only gives you 1 tone pot when using both.

I also toned down the "ice-picky" bridge pickup by switching to an alnico 2.

14. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I've changed my Strats so I have... Master Volume, Master Tone, then the last knob is now a Blender pot.

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I took it off. Too many knobs makes life complicated.

16. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

My two starts are wired differently. My main strat is master volume, master tone, blend pot. This is my preferred wiring. I can get a Tele middle position sound that’s very useful. Also I like to blend in just a little neck pickup when on the bridge. I prefer this to lowering the tone knob.

My other strat is master volume, neck tone, bridge tone. I like this one too, and it didn’t require doing anything but moving a single solder. Plus this is a SSH guitar. I use the bridge tone knob more on this guitar.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I converted my player Strat to the Armstrong Blender mod (second tone knob becomes a blender to fade across stock SSS into HSH with master volume master tone on the other two knobs and regular 5-wayswitch operation). The blender becomes a tone changing knob because I can choose a little or a lot of single coil or humbucker coil tones.

I used to just dime my volume and tone, but then I got a Junior and an Esquire and they taught me the wile ways of those protuberances of mayhem. These guys showed me how. Enablers of the ridiculous arts.

Phil X LP Junior (this video inspired me to get a Junior, but I kept my search much more modest with a $15 used Epiphone Special Junior)

Bill Kirchen Hot Rod Lincoln

Bonamassa volume tone knobs

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I might be the opposite from a lot of guys here -

I have only two active knobs. Master volume is closest to fingers, and master tone is right behind it... the back one isnt hooked up altho in one strat its a three way switch for a P-Rails

I only roll off tone with the bridge pickup... has a bit much treble but sounds fantastic in position 2, quack with middle.

So down a little for bridge only, full up every other position.

Sometimes at a gig I forget but its not a big deal, its just used for a little roll off.

gitapik likes this.
  19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

It's quite different for different guitars. For a long time I always played wide open, usually clean (recording directly into my DAW; I don't gig). This year I started playing more electric guitar through an actual amp.

I find that the tone pots on the Squier Strat are much lighter in effect than on the G&L S-500 tribute. And the tone pot on the Squier Jazzmaster hardly takes any top end off until it's down to about 3.

My OLP bass, similarly - tone all the way down doesn't make that much difference but on the Ibanez TMB-30 we go into the "murk" zone, which is useful occasionally.

20. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

I put the amps V, T, and B controls just past halfway and the guitar controls at zero.

I bring up the guitar volume control to a comfortable level and then bring up the guitar tone control until it sounds good.

barstowporter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.