1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do You Use Your Tone Knobs?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gitapik, Oct 20, 2018.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I tend to keep them up full and am considering switching the one furthest from the volume to adjust just the bridge's tone. I know a lot of Strat players who do this and it makes sense to me, as an LP player.

But I do know and understand what the standard setup does and am wondering how you use yours (different genres and applications).

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Well, if you have or play a stock-wired Strat (mine no longer is...) the back Tone control only adjusts the Middle PU ( Front Tone, for Neck PU only).

The bridge PU is wide open ( which also means it is brighter/rawer even than a bridge PU, were wired to a Tone control ( with Tone control all the way UP)

My Strat IS wired so that the back Tone control works on both middle and bridge PU's, so most of the time I do this with that Tone control:
    MIDDLE ALONE- Tone cranked ( I use this PU a lot for old R&B/blues and Rockabilly stuff, lead and rhythm)
    BRIDGE ALONE- Tone at 7-8 most of the time, sometimes cranked
    BRIDGE+ MIDDLE- Tone always cranked

I would not mind if I could indeed have a switching option to go to, that would put my Bridge PU back to stock.( NO Tone...) once in a while- it's a great nasty sound too especially with some OD- but very happy with current

NashvilleDeluxe and gitapik like this.
  3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I did the tone control on the bridge thing because I always thought the bridge pickup too bright. Then I realized it's supposed to be that way and I switched it back. Yes, it's nice to have the option, but honestly found it sorta useless. The reason I play the bridge is to cut through. It all depends on the context in which you are playing

gitapik likes this.
  4. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Tone knobs? We don’t need no stinkin tone knobs.

78FDFD48-6FDD-450F-AA2B-D426769C1210.jpeg

5. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

dimed leads and for crispy crunch back to 7 for rhythm work and about 5 for jazz fat round tone

Chunkocaster, awasson and gitapik like this.
  6. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

If I am playing a blues gig, and I am straight to the amp, my volume knob is at 75% and on the neck pup for rhythm.

For leads, I turn volume up to 100% and switch to the bridge pup.

For rock gigs, I am up all the way on both knobs, and I just use pedals to boost.

gitapik likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

gitapik and Doctorx33 like this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a " Blackie" I built from two strats and parts purchased. I use the tone and switches when needed and that's changing often in the one song.

gitapik likes this.
  9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

Every strat I own ends up with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I remove the middle pickup completely. My tone controls are independent for each pickup. While I do fiddle with them at times, my volume knob is my most common tone control and I ride the volume knob all the time.

gitapik likes this.
  10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

The only time I touch a tone knob is on a bass. The last few builds have been sans tone, and, to my ears, i get a clearer tone because of it.

gitapik likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Set the volume and tone on 8 and then set the amp volume and tone accordingly.
    Then if I want more volume or brightness, I have it. Can't do that if all your knobs are dimed.

I like my Strat to have the neck and bridge pickup on a single tone, middle gets volume only for more quack. I prefer 1 volume and 1 tone because the original placement for the volume pot is in the way, placed a little lower and back a bit is still accessible and doesn't get in the way.

gitapik likes this.
  12. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I hang my anti vampire baubles from them.

Greggorios, Chunkocaster and gitapik like this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Both tones usually engaged at 4-8 in my newish strat if I am swapping guitars at gig and leaving amp settings same.

I took out the no load pot. just too bright.

gitapik likes this.
  14. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I've tried to take most folks advice and set the tone lower a tad and adjust the amp accordingly. Trouble is, I dime it for a some part that needs a little more cut and I forget to put it back to 7. Then I wonder why I turned it down in the first place. Then I wonder why I even have a tone knob...

I guess it would make more sense if I were in a cover band and I needed different textures for different songs but only one guitar and one amp. THEN the volume and tone would get a bit more fiddlin'. As it is now, I have a series/parallel switch on my bridge pickup (Firebird-style mini-hum) and I find purpose for both positions, but not much beyond that. I'm considering replacing the volume control with a 3- or 4-way switch with set resistances because there's only a few positions on the volume knob I find useful.

It seems to me there are two kinds of people; the knob fiddlers and the knob dimers. You either is or you ain't, no middle ground... :twisted:

gitapik likes this.
  15. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I am definitely a fiddler. I adjust for every song.

I usually set my amp for a good neck pickup sound, and then use the tone knob to tame the bridge pickup. Works well for me. I ride the volume knob for clean/gain.

gitapik likes this.
  16. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Once I wired in treble bleed circuits on most of my guitar's volume pots, I move them around often. A pot is essentially a resistor and when it is put lower, the guitar will usually lose some top end in addition to reducing the volume. Adding a cap/resistor treble bleed to the pot makes a huge difference in the frequency response for my purposes. A couple of my Guild electrics haven't gotten addressed, but all of my Fender guitars have treble bleed circuits added. I mostly leave the tone pot alone unless I want to darken up a fuzz pedal. Pickup height is more important to me than any of the pots. It's one aspect of an electric guitar set up most people don't pay attention to. To the people who complain about one of their pickups being louder than the other, please try adjusting the height of the pickups.

gitapik likes this.
  17. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Always MAX

gitapik likes this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

on the tele i usually leave it up all the way.
    on my mim strats, no tone is hooked up to the bridge pickup, but on my mia strats, the lower tone knob is hooked up to the bridge pickup, and on those, i like to roll it back a notch or two.
    im gonna wire up my mim strats like that.

gitapik likes this.
  19. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

On most guitars I like to use tone set around 7 on neck and usually wide open on bridge. I will play with the knobs though as needed and seldom just set and forget. The tone knob can be important to set for whatever room you are playing, and also helps dial in the best harmonic response.

gitapik likes this.
  20. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

First: THANKS to all!! Great replies. I've copied and pasted this post to my "Gear Info" folder. I like how Obelisk chimed in about the treble bleed. That's a timely topic, in my music world.

Except for my LP, I tend to dime all of my guitar pots and rely on the pedals...unless I'm playing loud. That's when I find the controls more useful...especially the volume knob.

I could quote all of you, but for now:

I bought my '57 AVRI used (great deal at $800 about 10 years ago). It has a 5 way switch on it. I haven't touched the config and here's how it works:

> Neck pickup = front tone control
    > Neck/middle combo = front and back tone control
    > Middle pickup = back tone control
    > Middle/bridge combo = back tone control

On my LP, I set my amps so that the neck pickup is exactly how I want it with the tone control dimed: Great edge. Not cloudy. This usually makes the bridge pickup too bright, so I dial that tone knob down to about 7 or so. It's a nice system and I'd like to have something similar for the Strat. Sounds like you've got the config I'm looking for Chiogtr4x (interesting name, btw). But you got my radar beeping when you said I'll lose some of the highs on the bridge pickup, even set all the way up on the tone knob. I do like that sound. A lot. Light OD and a compressor. It's a sweet sound. Glad you mentioned that. It might be a deal breaker for me.

:)

Got that right!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.