How do you use your Klon (or klone)?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ukepicker, Dec 4, 2018.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yes the Orange Two-Stroke is ridiculously quiet. All of the Orange pedals except for the Fur Coat are fantastic in terms of not making noise. The Fur Coat has outrageous levels of fuzz on top though so it's kind of expected I guess.

I have it running at 12V. It has no noise when you turn it on or off unless you've got a big drippy Spring Reverb. I have a Digitech Polara and often get a "Drip" out of the Polara when turning pedals on/off in front of it. The Two Stroke is no exception but the Soul Food produces a way way louder sound turning it on and off. The "Pop" it makes effects the Reverb. (It might be a cool effect to use!)

You have to boost the living daylights out of your guitar to hear any noise out of the Two Stroke. Like at least 10-12dB in the right frequency range.

ukepicker likes this.
  2. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

After using a Mythical Overdirive for about a year (a wonderful pedal) , I purchased a KTR. I'm keeping MO for smoother higher-gain applications but I much prefer the KTR for the "Klon" thing.

6 Ways I use my KLON(e):

1. "Klon Boost" - the one everybody talks about right up front

2. Faux treble boost: Gain around 20-30% and treble up, driving an amp that's overdriving

3. Tubescreamer replacement. I'll put a flatter OD/Boost up front and use the Klon for my mid-pushed drive with the gain around 40-60% and the level just a bit above unity

4. Push the BOSS around: Lower gain, boosted output from the KLON pushing an old school SD-1. ROOOOCK!

5. Sparkle sparkle. Running anything into a clean-to-cleanish amp, using the KTR with the gain just where you start to hear it, the treble upa bit, and the output a little past unity. Just clarifies the top end and makes playing feel more dynamic

6. RAAAAAWK!!! Gain way up 80-100% and enjoy the grindey hard clipping distortion-box-like pleasure of the Klondike Express

dswo, Daytona.57, kevsonic and 3 others like this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

#5 is the one that nobody seems to demo - and that I'm most interested to hear. I'm excited about trying it out. My taste for rockin' gain or distortion or amp-boosting changes like the wind. I expect I'll find it usable for that some. But I'd like to see my klone give me an augmented edge-of-breakup tone and stay on all the time. Maybe a little like the the diamond compressor I had, but with a little hint of clipping. That would be nice.

LeicaBoss and Danjabellza like this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I tend to use mine as my edge of breakup sound on a clean amp. I have the HX effects, so I’m using the Minotaur, which is pretty accurate to other analog Klones I’ve owned before... maybe better...? Idk, but it also does a great old school punk drive sound with a single coil/p90 bridge pickup.

5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

I get the same kind of vibe from an EP boost with the bright switch. The MO doesn't "do that thing" but the KTR does. FWIW.

The Minotaur is pretty solid! I have no problem using it in place of my Klones.

ukepicker likes this.
  6. Rextrade

Rextrade TDPRI Member

I use my Tumnus Deluxe primarily as a gritty boost into a low to medium(ish) gain amp, or a pedal doing the same thing if I can’t get my amp up loud enough (which I guess is most of the time now). I also really like the stand-alone sound as a lower gain drive, and would use it as that if I weren’t using it as a boost.

I was aware that Klons/klones existed before I got the Tumnus, but I wasn’t particularly familiar with the sound and only vaguely (if at all) aware that the Tumnus was supposed to have a klon-like sound - I randomly borrowed one to try and loved it, so I bought one without reading up on what it was modeled after etc. And since then I’ve learned that I guess I really like the Klon sound since I really like the other klones I’ve tried. I’ve never played a real Klon though.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    El Tele Lobo and ukepicker like this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The Soul Food.. it's so much better in buffered bypass mode I don't even get why they included True Bypass. Did the Klon have an always on buffer?

My Soul Food seems to make way less noise and doesn't "POP" when you turn it on in Buffered mode... must be there are some people that refuse to buy anything but True Bypass and EHX was hedging on that.

Mine (which I got used) came in True Bypass mode.

ukepicker likes this.
  8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I've heard that the buffer is what many people enjoy about it the Centaur.

Mine is set to arrive today. Hopefully I'll find time to try it out this evening. The buffer is switchable on an exterior toggle. I'm anxious to see how it works and sounds.

9. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

My Soul Food was modified by @Believer7713 with a couple extra clipping modes, and a bass rolloff. I suppose it's technically no longer a true Klone, but then again, Cusack Pedals made a Klone type with LED clipping, so that's just about where my modified Soul Food sits.

I've been indoctrinated by the man himself (John Cusack, but not the famous one) to believe that LED clipping is the best.

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Soul Food, just a little hair!

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

As a push box when recording with my live rig. Helps get a good warmth on a clean sound..
    My klone is a Silver Pony.

12. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

I put the knobs in the middle and it sounded good enuff, so I didn’t mess with it anymore.

drew1d likes this.
  13. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I love this sound. Essentially a Klon with a Tubescreamer.

14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I received my klone yesterday!
    I spent a little time with it, but had to use headphones. I can only imagine how much more better things will sound when I actually get it into an amp and set it to moving air (instead of just old man ear hairs).

The "gain" knob blends a clipped signal into the dry signal. So all the way off, it is a cleanish, fattish boost and as you turn it up, it moves towards a mid-focus, lopping off highs and lows. The treble control allows you to bring some of the highs back. And, of course, the volume control is capable of boosting the output of the pedal plenty.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the mid-push frequency of the gain. Hard to tell in my headphones. But I did like adding a little (knob at about 8 or 9) because it seemed to make things a little sweeter, a little compressed and a little less "boosty".

And that sweetness is there. I'm not sure I know how to describe it. Maybe you just need to experience it for yourself.

I don't know exactly how I will use it yet, because I'm kind of in-between amplifiers right now. I could see it being an always-on type pedal. Or maybe just to add a little extra life. But I've always wanted a little fairy dust in my tone - and now I have it!

15. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Just flicking through. I had a Soul Food but couldn't get it to do anything I liked. This was into my Laney Lionheart which a) not a lot of headroom for any boost/OD and b) is pretty mid/ British voiced so that seems to fit with similar experiences on here.

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I spent some time looking at the Klon schematic and reading an analysis yesterday it is a pretty fascinating design.

The gain knob is actually a dual pot.. it simultaneously controls gain in the gain section of the circuit and a blend control between the clean/dry signal and the overdriven signal. It also has all kinds of magic where the clipping only comes into play at higher gain settings, and the tone knob seems to have a more complex setup than most too.

The blend behavior of the gain knob is why we perceive it to move towards mid focus, etc.. as you turn it up.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

After I decided to just turn up my amp, it has been keeping the other extra pedals in my drawer company

MilwMark and ukepicker like this.
  18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I have a friend who does this. Clone into TS, both set for just a little hair and some boost, into a Princeton. sounds great.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  19. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

Mike Simpson likes this.
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I played through my Soul Food minus the pedal board... it definitely has a spot where it is really nice on my amp.. but it's hard to access. But it would also have to play nice with the Pedal board, which seems to be an issue for me.

What I am noticing that makes it hard, and it was hard to see this as clearly when I had it on the pedal board, is it is very finicky with it's volume knob.

At 9 o'clock on the volume knob it doesn't really even work. It is cutting in and out.. sounds like the amp is broken. I really though I'd blown something when I tried it!

From 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock on the volume knob it is working fine but sounds like the EQ is screwed up, it sounds like the amp has a blanket thrown over it.

As soon as you get up to 12 o'clock on the volume it starts sounding great. At that point it's pretty darn loud though. It almost acts like a pedal that you have turned down below unity gain... except unity gain is somewhere around 9 o'clock where the pedal is barely working. It's loud between 9-12 o'clock but not sounding good at all.

This behavior is mostly independent of the gain knob. But almost any amount of gain with this pedal is highly compatible with my particular amp.

Is this normal-ish behavior for all pedals of this type? Klon/Klone pedals are frequently referenced as being best at loud volumes through a loud amp.

In any case I am going to see if I can take it back.. it may just be a bad one. I may get lucky and be able to return it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.