How do you use your Klon (or klone)?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ukepicker, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's kind of a pity to have all those pedals together and still use the youtube demo mentality of "turn the gain all the way up"... this totally misses the nuances of the Kion style pedal trying to use it as a fuzz pedal. For me the good part of the Klon style pedal is with the volume a little above unity and the drive as it just begins to become barely noticeable to push the amp.

For what it's worth... I currently use an Archer Ikon and also tried a Soul Food in previously. A friend has a "real Klon" that he bought years ago before they were so expensive. I have stacked the Archer with a Bixonic Expandora, Blackstone Appliance and currently with a J Rockett Blue Note for more overdrive when needed.

ukepicker and rjtwangs like this.
  2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

My thoughts exactly!
    Most of the demos are of fuzzed-out klons. But most of the actual users I've read about use it like you.

3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

These days I'm liking using a Klone as a boost. Gain off or very slight. Tone set to be as transparent as possible.

I have the Walrus Audio Voyager (a Klone) that I use as a lead boost. Signal chain is ZenDrive (slightly dirty)>OCD (heavy crunch)>Big Muff Nano (full distortion)>Voyager (cleanish boost).

I've also used the Voyager (without the ZenDrive) first in line for slightly dirty and put a Soul Food last as the clean boost.

On my mini board I have the Soul Food set slightly dirty and a Boss OD-3 for heavy crunch. Soul Food>OD-3.

ukepicker likes this.
  4. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Yeah, I figured that the real-deal must vary quite a bit, which is why I tried to keep my answer confined to my particular klon-variant, if you will. I assumed the OP's ask is not about an actual Centaur, which is for obvious and overstated reasons a pretty safe guess!

rjtwangs and ukepicker like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Since I only play at home with modeling amps, I use overdrives at higher gain than many, 'cause I'm using them as lower gain distortion boxes, rather than as a boost to push a tube amp's front end. And, as some have already pointed out, with a mid-heavy amp Klon types can get too nasally. My OD of choice lately is a Wampler Euphoria that I got a good deal on used, and it does a better job of nailing that slightly scooped-mid overdrive tone of a cranked Deluxe or Super with a Strat. But, I still really like my Tone Bakery Cream Brulee Klone also.

ukepicker likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I use mine as a boost or a bump for my solid body mandolin. A lot of drives don’t work thanks to the trebly nature of the mandolin: but the soul food keeps the frequencies with just enough break up to add that hair.

ukepicker likes this.
  7. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Another MagnaVibe user! I love mine!

rjtwangs likes this.
  8. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I watched all (most) of the videos have owned several clones. The one I settled on is the Ceriatone.

In my living room low volume setup, the settings that work for me are: Gain 11:00, Tone all the way up, and Volume - low - about 6-7:00.

What surprised me was how interactive the controls are - at first I thought my pedal might be defective because it is dark with the volume down low. I have to turn the tone all the way up to compensate for having the volume so low.

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Grabbed a used MO last year for a steal. Amp on the edge to boost. Particularly nice with the Orange Dual Terror.

rjtwangs and ukepicker like this.
  10. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

mostly as a boost with a hint of drive

ukepicker likes this.
  11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have a Monsterpiece STUD Klone which I set up as a sparkle boost....volume around 12-, tone 11-3 depending upon the darkness on a particular amp/guitar,and most importantly, gain fully CCW. It shines like this. As others say,it makes everything sound better.
    I did find one cool use for the gain up: Strat into the BF Fender mode on a Mesa TA15...amp clean but at volume....I cranked gain to 2 and was amazed at how awesome it sounded. I immediately recorded a song with it. The gain up is nasal city, usually, but not with a Strat into the TA15 Fender channel.

ukepicker likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

it’s just an overdrive.

The “magic” is the filters. If that tone is magic for you. A particular gentle mid emphasis with non-muddy low mids, with the drive off. A n increasing mid emphasis as the drive is increased, and the clean signal path is de-emphasized. Also less “compressed” than a TS, for instance.

Designed for (and sounds best in, IMO) into a loud amp in a band mix.

BB and ukepicker like this.
  13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

So I ordered the one that piqued my interest.

https://sundayamps.blogspot.com/search?q=dirtbomb

I've had several of Tim's pedals in the past (though never one with blue wires) and most of my guitars have his pickups. I trust his ears, so when I got to thinking that he dialed in a dirt transmitter with germanium AND a klone, I just had to have it. A toggle switch for order and the klon buffer is on it's own toggle switch as well. I'm looking forward to this one!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Same here, with a Wampler Tumnus. I would call it gritty boost. Gain at 10:00, level at 11:00, tone at 1:00. It sounds great on its own or driving my other overdrive pedals.

The only time it's ever sounded really good to me with the gain past halfway was into a cranked AC15.

ukepicker likes this.
  15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Well said!

kevsonic likes this.
  16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I don't feel like my Golden Horse makes my Tweed Champ too middy. Love it!

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Probably the same reason demos of compressors and envelope filters don't really tell you what you want to know: they're designed with certain applications in mind, and if that's not how you want to use it, you're on your own.
    I recently got an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, often billed as the poor picker's Klon. I just have it set to fatten and open up my sound. Set the knobs, turn it on, and forget about it for the whole gig, same as my reverb and compressor. Together, they make my playing sound more soulful and more sincere. I use my guitars' knobs and switches to change tone and attack.

For boost, I have a one-knob BBE Boosta Granda in front of everything, always dialed to noon. (It's the only pedal on the floor. The pedal board is on a little folding table.) Aside from those, I have two pedals at the end for local color: a delay for reverb and slap and a trem for swampification.

You can probably tell that I'm no shoegazer. I just want to forget about my gear and play.

ukepicker likes this.
  18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

What kind of cables do you use? Thanks!

19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I maybe need to reverse myself and give these pedals a bit more credit.

I've only actually had my Soul Food about 3 weeks... I can still take it back (I bought it at GC and they have extended holiday returns right now) and I played with it a bit this morning and decided not to take it back today, so I will probably end up keeping it and just taking time to get to know it better.

The beginning of my chain of pedals is:

Fuzz -> Orange Two Stroke (Boost/EQ)

The first time I was trying out the Soul Food I did this:

Fuzz -> Soul Food

This time I did this:

Soul Food -> Two Stroke

With this I could more easily A/B them, the Two Stroke is obviously totally clean but it's got really nice ability to cause the amp to break up certain ways.

I can pretty easily dial the Two Stroke to do the same sort of boost that the Soul Food provides in terms of mids/highs, etc.. for me the Soul Food sounds a little better with the tone knob turned up a little (1 o'clock?).

But the extra little bit of grit the Soul Food/Klon provides on top of the amp already on the edge is really quite nice. It definitely looses some clarity but it's maybe worth the tradeoff. Both pedal retain great dynamics.

For me what I want in an OD is this:

- I can set up my base sound to sound great.. a tone that is on the edge and can be clean or dirty
    - The OD sounds great on top of it, without requiring the base sound to be adjusted.

I think for my Tele + Orange amp the Klon pedals do get to that goal better than most others. Clean boosts work great too.

E.x. for me the OCD boosts too much low end. To make it work I'd have to dial the bass down in the base sound, which would then hurt the base sound.

I might have to take my compressor off for a while and make room for something like Fuzz -> Soul Food -> Two Stroke.

ukepicker likes this.
  20. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

That Two-Stroke pedal has been on my shortlist for a long time. I'm glad to hear your good experiences.

I do live sound occasionally and I've really come to appreciate what a good parametric EQ can do. I looked hard at the Empress para EQ, but really liked the simplicity of the Orange. Is it quieter than the soul food?

It sounds like you liked the sound of the soul food going into the 2-stroke - maybe fixing or augmenting some frequencies that weren't so pleasing from the soul food?

W.L.Weller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.