How do you use your Klon (or klone)?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ukepicker, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Ok, so I'm jonesing for one of these. I've watched all the hype for years. I've heard all the videos. I even tried a soul food for while (and liked it, but it was noisy). I feel like I've been fine for years without a klon-type pedal. Until I found an interesting one for sale that has piqued my interest.

But now that I want one, I'm having a hard time even understanding what it does. The demo videos I've seen give me about 3 seconds of clean sound, then start blasting away and turning knobs. That's not very useful to me. From what I can tell, most real users don't turn the gain up very high. And they go on and on about how it just adds something special.

Great. Why are there no demos of that "something special"?

Anyway, I'd love to hear how you use your klon or klone. And why it's worth even turning on in the first place.

And we can forgo all the klon-bashing and name-calling and dismissiveness. I've heard you and weighed your opinion. Just klon-likers and -users here, please.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. luckett

luckett Banned

Set gain at 9 o'clock, tone at 1 o'clock, volume at 10 o'clock and wait for unicorns to fly out of your amp.

3. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good question, I use a Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec, I have a very small board( on the floor )only 4 pedals. My Mythical is always on. I set the volume at 10:30 the tone at 12 and the gain also at 10:30. Then I control volume and gain with the volume knob of my tele. It adds a bit of sparkle to everything else and if I'm playing a solo I turn up the volume and get that GLORIOUS warm tweed creamy breakup....it seems to make everything sound better...
    20181125_190754.jpg
    Hope this helps...

RJ

JustABluesGuy and ukepicker like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's a demo I did of the Mosky Golden Horse, the cheapest klone. Unfortunately, being cheap means they used a batch of poor quality charge pumps on these pedals and reliability has been a major problem. I had two fail and I've heard from many other people that had the same.

When mine were functioning, I primarily used it as a clean to dirty boost into a modeler (Sansamp or Hotone head) or a Monoprice 5w tube amp.

I'm going higher up on the food chain for my next klone. I'm leaning toward the MXR Sugar Drive but the Wampler Tummus is still in the running.

El Tele Lobo and ukepicker like this.
  5. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Every time I see a Klon thread, it makes me want a Klondike bar, damnit.

badger51, bluesky1963 and ukepicker like this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Great demo, bg - thanks!

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

In "always on, sparkling boost" mode, is there much low-end roll off? It seems like it loses less low end than a tube screamer.

8. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

My Mythical Overdrive VS sits at the front of my signal chain, Gain fully CCW, Treble and Level at noon, and they might as well have made it without the bypass switch because it stays on. I don't know if a demo on YouTube can adequately convey the intangibles of the sound - how notes feel as though they "pop" and how lively it makes things. Every dirt box downstream of it sounds better, as so saturated preamps.

It's not the only thing that can have this effect. For instance, I have a Tim that can do it but can also do dirtier overdrive sounds that I like a lot more. And the Mythical is certainly not the only klone that can, either. I would use a klone as a stand-alone pedal if I wanted to stay mostly clean or rely on amp distortion, but it's overdrive sound is not great.

My guess is that the internal voltage pump plays a role, and that a much broader mids-emphasis is occurring with no loss of lows or highs, yet with no tubbiness or shrillness either. Completely subjective take, though.

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

At least one source I found told me that the klon circuit was designed to push powerful mid-scooped fender amps. And when used with an amp that allows more mids in its circuit, it becomes redundant or too middy.

So is the mid-emphasis part of the whole circuit - is it always there? Or is it a characteristic of the "gain" part of the circuit and relative to the gain knob's setting?

10. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I've got the MXR Sugar Drive.

It's great as a clean boost-y thing. Just a touch of gain. Tone in the middle or so. Volume set to desired boost. Adds a touch of dirt and great sparkle.

I also use it when I need more dirt and sustain but not more volume. Adjust gain to amount of dirt needed. Turn volume down to where you're at unity. Adjust tone as desired.

I A-B'd a whole bunch of pedals looking for something that would simply add boost and sparkle. it was the clear winner, only thing close was a Tube Screamer. The fact that it works so well for added dirt without changing amp's basic tone is a bonus.

El Tele Lobo, bgmacaw and ukepicker like this.
  11. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what it was designed to do. But I use my Sugar Drive with a Tweed. And I love it. It's more "transparent" than a TS, for example.

12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

This is exactly how I would like to use it.

I wonder how much effect the buffer has on the "sparkle". I mean, just having a TS on my board helped buffer enough to make things sound better, even when it wasn't on. And the klon circuit has that famous buffer.

I'm curious if all the glowing praise would be the same for any old buffer, or if the klon's version is just that much better.

EDIT to say: I know all buffers are not created equal because I've swapped pedals out on my board and judged the buffered bypass signal and found clear winners and installed them on my board - not to turn on, but just to use the buffer. I have a particularly nice sounding TS7 pedal that I use for that purpose regularly.

13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I'm starting to think that I may just have enough questions and curiosity to justify the purchase :)

El Tele Lobo, kevsonic and PastorJay like this.
  14. rjtwangs

The real Klon is not for everyone, some don't like it, I love my Klon as much as I love my Clark Gainster and my Mythical's. The name " klon " gets thrown out a lot, most of the time the people throwing the name around have no idea what a klon is, have never ever been in the same room as a real klon. The part about becoming muddy with an amp that allows more mids is ridiculous. You can roll mids down both on the amp and with the tone knob on your guitar. Again, this is what Bill Finnegan was shooting for when he designed the first generation of Klons, of which I own two. And I'm telling you that guy's who feel it's too bassy either have a defective unit or they are not using it properly. This is NOT a pedal to use at home unless you can play it LOUD....the amp has to be on the edge of breakup for you to get it's full effect. It is in my opinion a wonderful sound. But, if you've never played thru a tweed Deluxe ( 5E3 ) turned up to 10, then you don't know what your missing. This is what a Klon or klone was/is designed to do.

RJ

El Tele Lobo, kevsonic and ukepicker like this.
  15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I found this to be helpful. Answered a few questions, at least.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got a Soul food recently, don't really care for it, but my amp (Orange) has plenty of mids.

The hype with these is to use very little gain and use it as a boost but as a boost it loses a lot more clarity than a pedal designed to be a clean boost. It has a nasal character. The nasal character is actually worse with the clean channel of my amp. It works best into the dirty channel with the amp on the edge of break up (turned up pretty loud) and with a substantial boost + a little gain dialed into the SF.

And it's perhaps not true with a real Klon but the Soul food definitely makes a little bit of noise.. not bad but the switch pops the first time you turn it on. The OCD is whisper quiet in comparison.

ukepicker likes this.
  17. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

There was a time when I was using a soul food (bass version, with the added clean blend knob) as an always on tone-shaper. But it added too much noise. I remember spending about an hour weighing whether or not what it did was worth the noise it added. It wasn't, and I sold the pedal.

I've had that noise with every EHX pedal I've ever had. Sad, really - they make some very cool circuits. But I'm no longer a customer.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. rjtwangs

Try this one, it has them ALL!! or fast forward to 103.51 for the Mythical, and listen at the end of their time with the Mythical when the fellow who owns the real Klon gives his opinion....it's telling.....

RJ

JayFreddy, El Tele Lobo and mgreene like this.
  19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I have a Mythical Overdrive and love it. I have either a Snouse Black Box or a DOD Carcosa (fuzz) in front, depending on how I'm feeling. After the MO is either an Anlogman DS-1 Pro or a Rat clone (depending on how I'm feeling), followed by a Timmy. The MO seems to work well with just about everything, as a boost, an overdrive, or a tone shaping tool, depending on how you twiddle the knobs.

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Interesting. I have an EHX Memory Boy in my FX Loop, no noise. I've got an Op-Amp Big Muff Pi + the EHX Hum Debugger in the input of the amp and those don't make noise like the Soul Food. I'd be real curious if the noise is more inherent in the Klon design than something EHX is doing with all their pedals. Obviously you can get a Big Muff to make noise but mine doesn't make noise at low gain/volume settings like the Soul Food is capable of, and none of the other pedals make a pop sound the first time you turn them on like the Soul Food.

If you can crank the amp up it seems like the Soul Food's noise level isn't a big deal. Just noticeable on my setup as I'm not playing at big volume levels.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.