How do you think this is built?

Jared Evans

Tele-Meister
How do you think the Moar guitars are put together? I want to try to make a thin hollow/semi hollow. Think it is two solid pieces carved? No bent sides. I think they are completely hollow.

Just putting this out there. If anything you get to see a beautifully crafted guitar. This guy is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Speedy454

Tele-Holic
It isn't all that difficult, really.
The guitar in my avatar is a hollowed out black locust back with a flamed maple cap. I did it as an experiment and for extreme weight relief. Locust is very heavy.
Locust Tele and Double Cut 007.jpg
Locust Tele and Double Cut 011.jpg
Locust Tele and Double Cut 080.jpg
Locust Tele and Double Cut 094.jpg

Jared Evans

Tele-Meister
N
The guitar in my avatar is a hollowed out black locust back with a flamed maple cap. I did it as an experiment and for extreme weight relief. Locust is very heavy.
View attachment 941483 View attachment 941484 View attachment 941485
View attachment 941483 View attachment 941484 View attachment 941485 View attachment 941486

Not quite that simple. Here’s a better view of him showing one of his guitars. If you look at some of them without the binding it seriously looks like one piece. I know that is not the case but the craftsmanship blows me away.

I’m just trying to figure out how to do something like it with a trem and not having a guitar fall apart on me.

And I can confirm his are totally hollow. At least he says it a few times in some of the vids.

Greplington

Tele-Meister
I went and had a look at his Instagram. I think there's a little "classic misdirection" happening there on a couple. The natural instinct is to check along the side of the body to look for a join, but several of them have a join on the centreline of the body. I suspect he may be hollowing the bodies edgewise from the centre. I noticed a fairly visible centreline joint on one and went looking on others, and they're there if you look closely. Very impressive if that's how he's pulling it off!

pshupe

Tele-Meister
I went and had a look at his Instagram. I think there's a little "classic misdirection" happening there on a couple. The natural instinct is to check along the side of the body to look for a join, but several of them have a join on the centreline of the body. I suspect he may be hollowing the bodies edgewise from the centre. I noticed a fairly visible centreline joint on one and went looking on others, and they're there if you look closely. Very impressive if that's how he's pulling it off!
Now that would be challenging. Is it possible he uses centre seam to make use of thinner wood? I would imagine they are laminated top and bottom and carved both inside and out. He does mention he carves the top different thicknesses. Generally binding is used to hide a glue joint but it is extra work. They are quite nice but imagine it would be tough not to neck dive unless that body is bigger and thicker than it looks.

Cheers Peter.

Jared Evans

Tele-Meister
Now that would be challenging. Is it possible he uses centre seam to make use of thinner wood? I would imagine they are laminated top and bottom and carved both inside and out. He does mention he carves the top different thicknesses. Generally binding is used to hide a glue joint but it is extra work. They are quite nice but imagine it would be tough not to neck dive unless that body is bigger and thicker than it looks.

Cheers Peter.
He does address neck dive and says because of the body size and careful carving that he doesn’t get any. But that was one of my first thoughts as well.

Jared Evans

Tele-Meister
Do you think he is using the edges from the top and then book matching the back and setting it into the top?

I did see the seam in the middle on the back as well.

I’m wanting to try to do this with my own design but my biggest concern is having enough wood below the bridge to support a bigsby or deusenberg trem.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
My guess is, as already mentioned, that he uses a solid base, hollows it out, attaches a top and then carves it to shape (including the back). From what I see, there is only binding around the top. That's what I would also do in this case (well, yeah, as I'm lazy, I'd rather do a fake binding).

He states, he first came up with the shape by using a solid piece of wood. Once you have a shaped body, you can measure, where and what you have to carve on the inside of the body, before attaching the top and getting it overall to shape.
I had a friend who wanted to make a body in the shape of a flat pill (like a Mentos Mint), so, overall rounded. He did it, but it was not easy to make it look good. This guitar reminds me of that.

Besides, in Germany is a manufacturer of basses called Sandberg. They have an option, where they can hollow out a body by using CNC and they indeed cut the body in half and hollow out from the side and then glue it together again. Pretty cool in my book :)

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I bet that "binding" is a contrasting solid wood glued to the back dark solid wood. It's hollowed out and a carved top is glued to it. Then the neck gets fit to it via mortise and tenon joint.

Jared Evans

Tele-Meister
I have a t-style design that a friend of mine and I are working on now and I basically want to take it and make it a hollow body like the moar guitars. The thin profile would really lend itself to this design.

Attachments

• 5C9F3124-39DF-4B43-99A8-E6D7DC93A566.jpeg
    5C9F3124-39DF-4B43-99A8-E6D7DC93A566.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BE3F9CB7-6318-4175-AA88-377F06EC9377.jpeg
    BE3F9CB7-6318-4175-AA88-377F06EC9377.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 12
  • 37D5D484-CC77-4000-AC84-8FE17640704F.jpeg
    37D5D484-CC77-4000-AC84-8FE17640704F.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 13
  • D69094C8-DFF0-4F3B-9533-CF36F687D4F4.jpeg
    D69094C8-DFF0-4F3B-9533-CF36F687D4F4.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 14
  • 5F52398E-6C6E-4AE4-91FE-AE11FF05F95B.jpeg
    5F52398E-6C6E-4AE4-91FE-AE11FF05F95B.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 16

Jared Evans

Tele-Meister
My question is "what is the point?" The rim depth is so shallow it doesn't matter tone wise. I think it sounds way more like a solid body than a hollow body. They are different, but not really.
That’s good point. To me, I like the thin look and the idea of how it might feel on the body to play. Something that could be much more easily achieved with a well carved solid body…

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That’s good point. To me, I like the thin look and the idea of how it might feel on the body to play. Something that could be much more easily achieved with a well carved solid body…

Years ago I started to build thinner guitars for myself. I was a LP player for years and as my body got bigger the angle of the guitar started to cut into my arm...LP Standards have a not so round binding. So I decided to go thinner with a lp top. It is so nice feeling. This is solid maple on mahogany with a mahogany neck.

gold.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Thinner and lighter may very well be more comfortable to play. The sound is largely down to pickups and other components that interface with the strings. The thinner you go, of course, the more challenging the pots and switches get to be and super thin also is going to impact pickup design. I honestly think it would be fun to figure out a package like that.