How do you tell which Strat pickup goes where?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Blue Bill, Nov 14, 2018.

1. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

When Leo first slapped the Strat together, he just grabbed pickups & put them in. Didn’t care about resistance or anything like that. Gibson did the same.

Flakey likes this.
  2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

IF (if) the middle pickup is RWRP, the two pickups that are intended for the neck and bridge will repel each other when the tops of their pole pieces are brought together, and the middle pickup will be attracted to both the neck and bridge pickups when the same is done with them. This is easy for you to check with no tools or meters. If the middle is not RWRP, all the pickups should repel each other when their tops are brought together.
    In the first case, figure which two are neck and bridge and put the higher DC resistance (now you have to measure) in the bridge.
    In the second case put the three from bridge to neck in order of highest to lowest resistance.
    If all three have the same DCR, and all three repel each other when brought together, it doesn't matter.
    Don't think this has been mentioned but on the classic cloth insulated push-back wires, Fender normally uses a yellow wire for the hot on their RWRP pickup, and white wires for the hot on the rest. If one pickup has a yellow hot wire, it's likely the middle.
    Let us know what you discover.
    Rex

3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

And Naismith used a peach basket for a hoop.

Blue Bill likes this.
  4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

The 57 -62early strats did not come Reverse wound at all. That came later to compete against Gibson's humbucker pickups.

These pickups were to reproduce that. They should give you better quack in 2 and 4 position.

Which again those early strats didn't have ;we used to stick paper match in between the switch and pickguard to get the quack. (3 position switch was oem)

Blue Bill likes this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Yep, and some guitars sounded better than others. Later on, folks figured out it was because hotter pickups sound better in the bridge, and weaker ones better in the neck. No one had figured that out yet in 1956, but we know it now.

Blue Bill likes this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Odd so few bothered w the Fender link which gives all the info.

Blue Bill and Bluego1 like this.
  7. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

EDIT - I didn't see the earlier post, so here it is again:

If they are unmounted, try holding them "face to face."

IF they are a RW/RP set, ONE of them will attract the other two (that's the RW/RP middle pup), and two of them will repel (the bridge and neck).

Use a meter to determine if one of the "repellers" has higher resistance - that's the bridge.

IF it's not a RW/RP set, then the meter determines position. Highest to lowest impedance, bridge to neck.

Wally and boris bubbanov like this.
  8. TRexF16

Wish I'd said that...;)

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. My dad got hauled off to the hospital in an ambulance last night, so I'm not sure if I'll have any time to mess with guitars for a couple days. I'll keep you posted.

10. Blue Bill

The neck pup, based on how they were positioned in the packaging, measures 5700 ohms, the mid is 5550, the bridge is also 5550. The polarity is the same in all three.

I'll try the 5700 in the bridge position. Thanks again gentlemen.

Blugo - sweet collection!

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Bill, just to make this thread a better reference:

FMIC did in fact, at one time, make a RWRP version of the 57/62 set. For example the 2006 Special Edition, Cubic Zirconium Strats had 57/62 with reverse wound reverse polarity in the middle pickup.

If you haven't installed pickups yet, put the hottest one in the bridge and the most vintage one in the neck or middle. That "node" that's close to where the neck pickup resides, has an easier job of making clear loud music than any other location under the strings can replicate. That's why we put our weakest pups there and the strongest ones in the "back" position. But the thing is, the Strat neck pickup doesn't really fall entirely under that sweet spot.

Blue Bill likes this.
  12. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

FYI, if you have the paperwork, it should show what color wire goes to each pickup, mine was red, yellow and white.

13. Blue Bill

Thanks Bubba, I did put the hot one at the bridge. This guitar really sounds fantastic now. Here's the summary: I rolled the fretboard edge till it feels nice and soft, Nitro'd and polished the neck to a gloss finish, replaced the tuners with Fender vintage style ones, replaced the Squier trem and bridge with a Fender one, the pickups didn't fit the Chinese pickguard, so swapped it for a WBW Fender one, new 5-way switch, and wired in new pots and caps. The new pickups made a huge difference, very sweet and vintage-y. For a total cost of $200 or so, I am just loving this guitar. I did a side by side with my number one, a really nice mid '80 American Strat, it's not better, but it's close.

Kidmo, all 3 have the same leads, one black, the other white.

DSCF2141.JPG DSCF2143.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the day, Strats used three way selector switches. They were not concerned with reverse wind, reverse polarity since those number 2 and 4 positions were not available....until someone discovered that one could ‘hang’ the selector switch in between the positions and get two more selections. Hendrix did this. So, Fender then started using 5-way switches and realized that RWRP middle pickups would yield humbucking combinations in the 2 and 4.
    So, these 57/62 pickups are historically correct if they do not have a RWRP middle pickup.

boris bubbanov and Blue Bill like this.
  15. Blue Bill

True dat.

16. TRexF16

That looks great! So glad you're happy with it.

boris bubbanov and Blue Bill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.