How do you "take it with you"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, Jun 8, 2013.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I travel by car and there's any space available at all I've got to have some sort of instrument to play. If it's a weekend and not too much baggage I'll throw in my old Yamaha FG-335. It's a beater but it sounds great and I love it.

If we're packing for a week or so I'll take my little Ibanez Day Tripper. While the tone is kind of on the ukulele side it's at least SOME way to enjoy music in the beauty of the out doors. There's a pic below of it beside my Yamaha.

For a few years I loved to bring my homemade cigar box guitar. It's got a piezo in it and I'd even throw in a little pignose amp to get some breakup slide going on.

What do you guys throw in the car to satisfy your musical needs?

Attached Files:

2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

When I fly, nothing. It's too much of a pain to try and carry on any luggage on a plane, IMO.

When I drive, my old Oscar Schmidt acoustic. It's green, beat to hell, and sounds great. It's been all over New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Arizona, and is usually still in tune when I take it out of the car

3. william tele

I agree about the flying part, but ever since someone mentioned installing threaded inserts in the neck of tele I'm determined to build a take down tele that may have some wood removed to lighten it and pack a "legendary pignose". This could all go in a perfectly sized carry on bag!:lol:

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a little Galveston travel guitar and a pocket rockit amp with headphones. It stays at my office and goes with me when I travel. If time permits, I also usually visit at least one music store on most trips to other cities.

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Bought a faded Epiphone SG for $200 with no fret-wear, set it up with .11 strings, weighs nothing with a cheap gig-bag, doesn't take much space and is pretty much unbreakable.

Not for sitting around the campfire - just to keep my hands in shape.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

An old beater acoustic.

7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Since it's just the wife and I, I can bring my Epi AJ500M on roadtrips. When I'm flying MIM Strat in a HSC with a Boss MicroBR. I check the Strat. The only issues I've ever had were hoplophobes at baggage who were afraid to open the case for fear that I had a rifle....no, seriously, this happens.

8. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

I don't fly anywhere within the continental USA. I drive and if music is going to be involved at the final destination, I'll MAKE room for my Tele, my Blues D. Tweed if it's an actual gig. If it's just a jam/get-to-gether in someone's living room "for old time's sake" I'll most likely take my Frontman 25R or my ZT Club 1x12 for an amp. And always my Boss BCB-3 with tuner comp, delay.

9. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

I have a Steinberger that just fits in my suitcase. Well, it's not a suitcase but more a travel bag with wheels. Quite common.
    The Steinberger has been to London UK, Calgary, Houston, Kassel (Germany), Aberdeen (Scotland), Austin TX ... and more places I can't recall just now.
    Anyone recognize the view out of the window in the second pic?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The little pocket pod and earphones work OK.

10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Nothing, but I've been considering picking up an inexpensive mandolin.

11. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

Taylor Baby....Taylor GS Mini....can't go wrong with either

[​IMG]

12. renhoek

renhoek TDPRI Member

A Hohner Rockwood Strat copy, probably from the '90s. Not a particularly good guitar, I don't think the body is even made of wood (some kind of weird plasticky stuff?) but it's playable and I don't care if it gets broken so it goes everywhere with me. I don't bother with an amp, I'm quite happy to play unplugged.

13. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

my6 last purchases were exactly for that purpose:

Squier Mini Strat (sounds alarmingly good!!!)
    Taylor GS Mini
    Yamaha THR10C

I'm a happy camper :)

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Driving and camping.....Big Baby Taylor.

Flying and diving......Martin LXM (Johnny Cash Black).

[​IMG]

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

By the way......Madison/Milwaukee folks......Madison GC has a nice used Big Baby Taylor for $199. It's driving me nuts. I should buy it for my kid but he can always use mine. It's a deal.

16. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

The missus doesn't know it yet but Ill be taking the neck off my beater tele & throwing it in the suitcase to bring to Ibiza
    Just finished building a noisy cricket coffee can to bring along
    The bike headlight lights up & the speaker fits in can

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. william tele

I'm diggin' everybody's travel guitars. Here's a pretty dang cool travel guitar...especially if you travel by water...

18. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

This is how I've always imagined flying with a guitar...

So you're carrying it in a gutar shaped case and you get to the security check....a bunch of fed pigs approach you wearing all black and sunglasses and get in your face....and then they say "so what's in there, huh? Huh? Huh? You tryna carry somethin' illegal? Huh?" Then i would respond with....."in there....is the most beautiful Les Paul you have ever seen".....then he would say "what's a Les Paul? Is that some sort of explosive device?"

Then I would be sent to federal prison for giving a federal agent a bloody nose....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.